Aug 11, 2014, 06:12 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Build Log

Berkeley Korda Powerhouse 33 ( 43)AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015

Hi Everyone-

This is my entry in the AMPLAN build off..... Berkeley Kordas Powerhouse 33 which I have scaled up a bit to 43" ...

This will be a slow build but I will add pics and entries.

It will be electric rc using the lemon rcvr, and a generic outrunner which can work with a spinner.

I'm thinking litespan for covering with some doculam under some areas for reinforcement.

A 43" version should weigh around 12 to 16 ounces ready to fly ( hoping)...

thanks Sundancer for offering /officiating this build off !

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Dec 12, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: etc
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2014, 02:10 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Watching with interest Jeff.
Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Sundancer.....

I have decided that a 10.33% scale up to ~ 43" is the decision.....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Dec 06, 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: decision qty
Aug 14, 2014, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Yes a 10.3 % enlargement of the Powerhouse 33 will give ~ 43 " wingspan....

I think Berkeley had a Powerhouse 41 but I like the 33 and own an original plan...

Flying weight will be no more than 12 -16 ounces with a two cell lipo....

The plan will be prepared this weekend and glue needs ordered !

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Dec 06, 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: span corrected
Aug 15, 2014, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac
Yes a 10.3 % enlargement of the Powerhouse 33 will give ~ 41.25 " wingspan....

I think Berkeley had a Powerhouse 41 but I like the 33 and own an original plan...

Flying weight will be no more than 12 -13 ounces with a two cell lipo....

The plan will be prepared this weekend and glue needs ordered !

Best Regards,

Jeff
This is the Powerhouse 41 Jeff, from the Ian Allen "Model Aeronautics publication.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
Sundancer thanks for the Powerhouse 41 plan !

I am going to stay with the 110% PH33 though I almost listed to build Blanchard's " Pizonia " as RC electric.... maybe next time...

Thanks again,

Jeff
Aug 16, 2014, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Hi Everyone-

Sundancer - somehow I forgot I had a Berkeley Powerhouse 41 plan in my collection - I had it scanned today and am sending it to Steve WMD outerzone. I would post it but it is 4.15 MB and not sure how to reduce it to <3mb...

I now have the enlarged Powerhouse 33 plan in hand - a 130 % enlargement seems to make the wood sizes the next largest increment. The span now is ~ 42.9 inches.
A different outrunner than what was intended will have to be used - I want to have the spinner and have selected a motor which should work a " B2208-12 1800 KV " with a long motor shaft.

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 16, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Aug 17, 2014, 12:35 AM
Does your Powerhouse 41 plan have full size part patterns - ribs etc - on it Jeff? If not I will scan the two pages of full size parts which were given in the magazine and send them to Steve to integrate with your plan.
Aug 17, 2014, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
Sundancer if you would send those patterns to Steve that would be super ! The PH41 is equal to my PH33 plan : most parts are shown but most formers are not....

Thanks !

Best Regards,

Jeff
Aug 17, 2014, 03:25 AM
Hi Jeff

Just had a look on Outerzone and someone beat us to it as the '41 plan is there complete with the parts sheet from the mag. What a great resource Outerzone is.

Interestingly enough there are two Powerhouse 33 plans there - the Berkley kit plan and the one from the Model Aeronautics magazine. Although the same in the essentials they are clearly very different plans with details of mounting for diesels on the M.A. one instead of the perspective structure drawing on the kit plan and quite a different layout.
Last edited by Sundancer; Aug 17, 2014 at 03:31 AM.
Aug 17, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Hi Sundancer thanks for the information on the different powerhouse models....

I always submit my plans to outerzone where we can all enjoy this resource....

I had no idea the powerhouse was so popular to be published in England until you showed me. I wonder how many times Shulman's Zomby and Zoomer and Banshee were published, kitted then republished......
I just obtained a U.S. published booklet which has P.E.Norman's Natsneez but slightly changed to show engines sold here then.... I will scan and post this to my blog and to outerzone in a few days...

Thanks again,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Aug 18, 2014, 03:19 AM
Quite a lot of American designs, some of them kit models, were published as plan features in UK magazines in the forties, fifties and sixties. Aeromodeller had quite a few over the years - Smog Hog, Gasser, Peacemaker, Walt Mooney's Luton Minor etc, and the seven magazine Ian Allen series had, as well as the two Powerhouses, Defender (McElwee), Vagabond (Winter), Toreador (McCullough), Sportwagon (Smith), Jersey Javelin (Schroder) and Cumulus (Goldberg)
Aug 18, 2014, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Sundancer thanks for that information - interesting to know.....

...... Well the PH33(42.9) is being built in my mind right now... it's almost ready to fly.... ha....

one useful feature of the original model is a hatch on the front side to access the CO2 cartridge. I will make mine similar to allow access to the battery.... Landing gear may not be used, if it is it won't be as shown on the plan....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Sep 01, 2014, 01:48 PM
Thread OP

powerhouse 33 motor

I now have the motor in hand from my " collection " of brushless outrunners.... it's just a generic ? B2208/12 1800 KV which should be a nice motor for the powerhouse 33 ( 43 enlargement ). Turned out my first choice could not mount a spinner, this one should be able to...

No construction has started yet - I'm still finishing my Korda Diamond " 55 " electric....

Best Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Sep 27, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Sep 14, 2014, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
Well I have printed the parts patterns from the " Model Aviation " 1949 PH33 print on outerzone.
This should save me some time. I'm getting ready to cover the wing of my Korda Diamond soon so then I'll start cutting parts for the PH 33 (43).

Best Regards,

Jeff

Quick Reply