FAQs 103-V2 has arrived !!! - RC Groups
Aug 11, 2014, 04:27 AM
Rotor Controller
Yippee!

FAQs 103-V2 has arrived !!!

FAQs 103 is a compilation of questions and answers taken from the beginner's forum. It is a continuation of FAQs 101 and 102. It doesn't have lots of pretty pictures. In fact it doesn't have any pictures. No pictures - just the FAQs. The good news is - wait for it - it is FREE! Did he say free? YES - there is no publisher to pay because there is no publisher. FAQs 103 is not meant as a a substitute for FAQs 101 and 102. They are beginner friendly. They start from the ground level. FAQs 103 is after take off. It assumes you are already flying. It takes some of the most common asked questions from the beginner forum and filters out the FAQs. To assure anonymity of the original poster, all the questions have been rephrased – rewritten – edited – condensed – expanded – encrypted - and everything but shredded. All the answers are taken from CaptJac's experience and there is no guarantee and some will disagree with what they read but FAQs 103 wasn't written as gospel. It is based on real-time and long time experience and not all those experiences would be recognized as the best route to success or the least painful. Crashes are part of learning and there were a LOT of crash and burns in that long time learning experience. The questions are organized and presented in an informative, factual, sometimes laughable mannerism and style, without the hassle and endless hours of searching for answers. Answers like the truths and myths of micro helicopters. How they fly. How they don't fly. Fixed pitch. Collective pitch. Small ones. Big ones. Bigger ones. 3D or not to 3D – that is the question. Actually that is not the question. The real question is why 3D'ers think everyone who flies helicopters wants to fly 3D and insist if you don't set up your heli for 3D than you will never learn to fly. FAQs 103 dares to defy that doctrine with another pitch. Get rid of all that negative pitch. Only good it does is pancake your heli into the ground. And while you are learning get a simulator. How good are simulators? Ask any airline pilot. How about the bigger the heli the easier it is to fly? No question about the truth in that statement. Bigger helis are more stable, but for a beginner, bigger translates to spending a lot more money when you crash and getting the bejesus scared out of you. Keep that wonderful Trex-600 or 700 in the hangar and throw away the keys. They are nothing short of a lethal weapon in the hands of an inexperienced pilot. You don't want to get hit by those blade as they can remove fingers and work real hard to get a leg while it at it. Getting hit in the head can have very grave consequences as to where they bury the remains. Strongly recommend having an experienced pilot do a test flight on anything bigger than a micro heli and an hour or two or three or four of instruction – preferably on a buddy box. There are much better and safer and cheaper options to learn CP on your own. Micro helis are small enough to fly indoors and out the door into your back yard - even in light winds. Don't let it get too far away though – they disappear fast. When you ready to climb into something bigger the 450 is usually the next step up for flying outdoors. While spinning up a 450 – we'll have a closer look at the flybar – assuming it has one. Flybars are fast becoming old school and being replaced by smart control boards. How good are they? Are they easier to set up than mechanical flybars. How do they work? Are they easier to fly for a beginner? There are a lot of rumors. How much is real? How much is hype? Aren't you glad you reading this? While we looking at differences – how about torque tubes. What's a torque tube? How do they work? Are they better than a belt driven tail rotor? Torque tubes are market driven and for good reason - the bevel gears on at each end are probably their biggest selling item. They are a GIANT pain to replace and any kind of tail rotor strike and they will strip faster than a $10 hooker given a crisp $100 bill. While we are stripping away some of the myths – how about those strange looking beetle things with four propellers - also known as quads. How come they are so popular? Are they any good for training? One word is often heard describing the flight characteristics of a quad - STABLE. In comparison to flying a helicopter - they practically fly themselves and will maintain a stable hover without the constant corrections helicopters require. They are cheap - they are virtually indestructible - and make a great flying platform to learn orientation. Another point of orientation and have a range of $150 to $500 and play a major importance in programming the flight characteristics of all flying machines is the programmable transmitter. What's the difference between the $150 and the $500 transmitters? Why does the $150 Spektrum DX6i transmitter have such a devoted following? Finally – how about some training exercises you can do at home. Orientation. Tail-in. Side-in. And that dreaded nose-in. Is it really that hard? Some of the answers may make you smile. Some of the questions may wish you didn't read the answer. FAQs 103 is a gift of gratitude. Gratitude for allowing him to be part of your learning experience. Gratitude for giving him purpose. Gratitude for your encouragement. As many of you know – CaptJac has a defective gene. It's called a ‟teacher's gene”. It is not curable. After retiring from 10 years of teaching at a state college he hoped it would go away and while his physical body left the class room his mind was still teaching and hasn't stopped since. There is nothing he can do but feed it and it has a voracious appetite. FAQs 103 has been in works since he forgot. It keeps growing. It will never be finished. All he can do is try to keep up with it. Much like this hobby – the technology is moving so fast if you stand in one spot for more than a few months the ‟obsolete” ground crew will be scraping you off the runway. To try to avoid that scraping he is making this FAQs available soon – today – as soon as he finishes writing this introduction. It will be the first of a continuous series. How many will be in the series? As long as he can remember. As long as he is able. As long as it takes him. How do you get one? Write your email on this post. You can encrypt it if you think a troll will get it or air-drop a request in his msg box. He will get the message either way. Feel free to make copies of it. It is in normal PDF format so no special reader is required. Pass the word. Pass a copy. Pass the donuts and coffee!

Airman's notice - the 2nd volume has completed flight test and has been retrofitted with the latest technology. It is very fast. It can reach your computer in the time it takes to push the "send" button on his. Have a great read!!
Last edited by CaptJac; Oct 28, 2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: that's what writers do - edit what they wrote.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2014, 01:47 PM

Faq103

Hello!
I would love to have a copy.
Have bought and read FAQ102
Aug 12, 2014, 02:41 PM
Rotor Controller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janneo
Hello! I would love to have a copy. Have bought and read FAQ102
Glad to fly one out to you - but can't get off the ground without an email address.
Aug 12, 2014, 04:00 PM
Sorry!
I'm old but new on this forum.

janne.o@mac.com
Aug 12, 2014, 04:25 PM

I'll take a copy

Send to radstersam@gmail.com

Thanks
Aug 12, 2014, 07:56 PM
A copy to timthebaker@telus.net would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
Aug 13, 2014, 03:25 PM
Got the book. Thanks alot. I like this stuff. New to the hobby you don't have a clue how much there is to learn. You help us whith that. You talk a lot of Blade mcp x, what about a Nano cpx?
Aug 20, 2014, 08:21 AM
PowerTower
CJ, you are a legend
I will be your ambassador to feed my novice club members with the word.
Your previous works (1&2) have been soaked up, I particularly liked your 'Q&A' bits where the answers were same (e.g. Never or Never). This new (3) will be greatly received by our club members and surely be an inspiration to achieve more
Here I am.... area50@virginmedia.com
Best.... R
Aug 20, 2014, 08:45 AM
Rotor Controller
Thank you RW for your kind words and encouragement. FAQs 103 has taken off and should be in your mailbox before you finish reading this! There is a lot of "collective" wisdom in that FAQs - wisdom that has been collected and passed onto me and I am delighted to pass it along. Have a great read!!

captJac
Aug 23, 2014, 10:11 PM
I'd like a copy please. Mevanvt@yahoo.com. Thanks captain!
Aug 30, 2014, 05:12 AM
i would like a copy. thank you.
sharon3581@gmail.com
Sep 02, 2014, 03:44 PM
Fueled by coffee & LiPo
I would appreciate a copy. This is great reading and very helpful.
jwdiehl13@icloud.com
Sep 03, 2014, 06:23 AM
Landings are not optional!
Would love to have a copy of FAQs 103, please.
Many thanks,

mewarren@icloud.com
Sep 22, 2014, 04:01 PM
Rotor Controller
Sep 26, 2014, 11:56 AM
Crash n learn
Would love a copy of this please

Greenchaos@icloud.com