The Atom Special - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2014, 04:50 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Material is minimal for the Atom, I used mainly offcuts from my balsa box. Even the covering was ends of rolls left over from other projects. The canopy and cowl are from re-cycled pop bottles, head is a $7 from HK...you will not get much cheaper in reality!

I agree totally, $223 is ridiculous

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2014, 06:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Hi Rich...

That's what I thought that you had posted, so was somewhat taken aback when I figured out the price. And I hope you know, that I was mainly commenting about the cost of the shipping, the kit price is not "bad", and nothing I said was aimed at you personally...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Dec 07, 2014, 03:27 AM
That postage is stupid, who do these people that set the charges think they are up too. Hope you all get a copy of the magazine, it's a good read too and the Atom Article with Rich build pics is a really help

Steve
Dec 07, 2014, 03:30 AM
Some pics
Dec 16, 2014, 12:17 AM
First flight went well with no problems
I used my C30 rotor for this flight and will try the fibre glass delta plate next
Joe

Wooden head test flight1 (3 min 20 sec)
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Dec 16, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
Dec 16, 2014, 04:02 AM

Very good pilot...

Joe piloting the new success Rich' model (ATOM) prove us how skill A\G pilot you are...but I think you are tooooo risky .
all the best
friendly yours
Fanis
Dec 16, 2014, 02:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Very nice...and wow...both left and right hand circles!! Great job!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 PM
Fanis
I'm in Corfu until the 15th Jan and hope to have a few risky flights
I must try and get to the mainland one of these times and visit you

Steve
I enjoy flying the Atom and find it easy to turn left or right
I will try the delta plate next and also hope to try the two blade setup

Joe
Dec 17, 2014, 04:03 AM
Hi Joe,you are welcome to Kalamata any time you like...My cellphone number is 6977033183 and the num.of my local tel.is 2721033067,and 2721099540. We have an airport for our use , a special (γουρνοπουλα) which is entire pork in oven ,and of course (τσιπουρο) special alcohol drink (I am sure you know it). The way our Australian mate find to autorotate his A\G is very clever. And you apply it to yours which make the whole thing more easy...I think ,if I remember well,in the early days of A\G the mechanics engineer used an about the same way of pre rotate the rotor of course it was not possible ,these days, to rotate the whole engine so they used the tail group (for the Pitcairn PCA1-A ) with the horizontal tail deflected as it would be to deflect the air through the rotor for aerodynamic rotor start.I don't remember if the mechanics engineer applied the same way of pre rotating other A\G .
Friendly
yours
Fanis.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:44 AM
Fanis I will look at my flights for next year and see if I can come to Corfu via Kalamata
I have seen the old pictures of Autogyros with the large deflection on the tail to prerotate the rotors
You may not think much my piloting skills when you see the pics and video
Tried the delta plate but got the flex and the blade roots wrong
The model pitched up then rolled inverted and dived into the soft wet ground
Changed the blade roots and bolt hole now it feels similar to the C30 rotor
Video soon
I will try out the two blades next
Joe
Dec 17, 2014, 03:16 PM
Video

Fiberdeltaplatetest 1 (5 min 4 sec)
Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 PM
Flew the two blade version today made the mistake of flying through the sun
Usual damage to the booms, and the wooden T arm broke but all easily fixed sorry no video of the arrival
Got some video after fixing it
Dec 19, 2014, 12:21 PM
Video
TWO BLADES ATOM 1 (3 min 4 sec)
Dec 19, 2014, 01:05 PM
Spot on Joe, she flys superbly with two blades now you will have to build another for Winterton next year.

Cali