Aug 02, 2015, 03:03 AM
Hi Graham,

Not sure either, maybe the more outward cog helps stability but hinders spin up. Forgot to mention I started with no shim but with poor spin up added 0.8mm which I glued to the trailing edge of the flex plate

Rich like his models responsive and so my Cog is damping down things. As always depends on flying style preferences I guess.

Yep fingers crossed for next weekend, planning to be here before midday Friday

Steve
Last edited by 106flyer; Aug 02, 2015 at 03:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2015, 04:56 PM
OK Steve - Will go with the 0.8shim initially. Going with 46% from tip COG and uncovered blades so far at 46.5 g. The vicar cant spare any more church roof !!

See you Friday.

Graham
Oct 19, 2015, 08:30 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool

A little late to the party

I have been away from gyros for awhile and wasn't paying attention to some of Rich's recent designs. I build one of his RPG machines a few years back....a great flyer once I figured out how to fly gyros

After I stumbled on the Atom Special build....I knew I had to have one so I downloaded the article & plans from the RCM&E site and got to work.

As you guys know its a fast build.....I started on Saturday

Here's a few build photos.
Last edited by Rad Racer; Oct 20, 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Oct 20, 2015, 12:35 AM
Now that is a very nice clean job.....just a bit different from my "hacking"... but if you like Rich's designs I have a feeling that you may have to fire that laser up again soon.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 20, 2015 at 06:08 AM.
Oct 20, 2015, 12:49 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Must be very nice to have access to a laser!! But then, I guess if I had put my money into a laser instead of machine tools, I could have had one also...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Oct 20, 2015, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys.

I had been using a cnc router to make balsa parts but fixturing to hold the part was always a PIA. Laser cutting balsa is fast and simple....just lay the balsa stock on the bed and press go.

After looking at some of the machines available it seemed it would be possible to make a better machine at a lower cost...on top of that I wanted a left handed machine (controls on the left side) as they don't exist.

Here's a link to my build log if your interested.
http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1990
Oct 20, 2015, 07:16 AM
Here she is
Oct 20, 2015, 01:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
So... you are an "evil, wicked, mean and nasty" person!!... The word sinister comes from the Latin word "sinistra" which means left (or left handed).. There was recently a school teacher who was forcing a child to write right handed as that was her belief!!! Stupid people!!

And by the way.... I am a lefty also... (so..to paraphrase part of a song by Steppenwolf... I'm evil, wicked, mean and nasty)...

Oh...and great job on the laser build!!!!!

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 20, 2015 at 01:32 PM.
Oct 20, 2015, 01:45 PM
Few but proud!
Us lefties need to stick together and build our own machines
Oct 25, 2015, 08:33 AM
Finished the canopy plug and blades yesterday....if I push hard I should get some stick time this afternoon.

A few years ago one of our older club members gave me a couple balsa planks that he found when he was cleaning out his shop. At the time I wasn't sure what I would ever use them for.....well the canopy plug was a perfect application
Oct 25, 2015, 08:40 AM
Blade carving on the router is pretty quick once you get the design completed. I don't do a lot of 3D design/cutting so I spent nearly 3hrs screwing around to get the NC file right.

Used a Clark Y airfoil for the profile.
Oct 25, 2015, 01:20 PM
Rad

Forgive me if you already know this, but you need the bottom of the leading edge to be sharp & not rounded. A standard clark y has a rounded lower leading edge. Otherwise the blades might have a problem spinning up.

Good luck

Graham
Oct 25, 2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks Graham, I actually only carved the top half of the Clark airfoil leaving the bottom flat and the leading edge sharp.
Nov 19, 2016, 08:51 AM
Very interested in building this design but am having no luck in downloading the magazine. Can anybody help with the plans?
Mar 23, 2017, 02:40 PM
Rich your Atom tail has been very popular

https://jeancousin4923.wordpress.com...toujours-bien/

Quick Reply