Aug 10, 2014, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-30

INTRODUCTION

After the success of the CX-10, the world smallest nanoquadcopter, Cheerson just announced the CX-30, this time a microquadcopter size reproducing the DJI phantom main design. There are already a lot of competitors in this category, for example: the hubsan X4, WLtoys V252, Yi Zhan X4, JXD 385 & 388, JJRC 1000, etc.... Is this CX-30 bringing something new ?

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-30 (with a 13.6g 500mAh 1S LiPo, 20C using a micro-losi connector)
+ 1 x Controler (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB Charger (using micro-losi plug)
+ 2 x Spare props (1 CW, 1 CCW)
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Instruction manual (english/chinese)

OVERVIEW

At the first glance, you recognize the DJI phantom spirit, i.e. the CX-30 have a white unibody canopy in X shape. Even after the shrinking operation, this particular design IMHO is not bad at all. With the props guards installed, the CX-30 is 15cmx15cmx4.6cm.
For a comparaison, from left to right: the JXD 385, JXD 388, YI ZHAN X4 and the CX-30

Motor to motor distance is 8.5cm

Without the battery, the CX-30 weight is 36.3g so a little more heavier than the Yi zhan X4 or the JXD 388 for example.

WIth the 1S cell 500mAh lipo rated 20C, the CX-30 reaches 48.5g

Motors are 7mmx20mm

Maybe some 8.5mmx20mm would have been more powerful to carry this 50g quadcopter, especially for the camera version.

Props are 5.5cm long, the same used for the CX-205/SH 6057 or the JXD 388/392

Prop's weight is 0.35g

Props guard are very thin and light (0.4g)

They are in practice not really efficient to protect props.... they are too much flexible to impacts. It's better to remove them.

Legs are offering a ground clearance of 1.8cm. Rubber feet can easily pop out so it's good to use a small drop of glue to fix them permanently.

The battery bay can welcome for example a nanotech 750mAh Lipo but with this model you MUST INVERT POLARITY of the battery.

On each arms, large and bright LEDs can be found. They are very efficient for night flying. The top canopy part is fixed with 8 screws and scaling 4.7g

The PCB board can be found Under the canopu. The PCB is the same as for the CX-205 and referenced by "ABE-68WIFI"

The accelorometer + gyro chip is the classic invensense 6050c for a perfect 6-axis stabilization, the RF chip is using nR24L01 compatible chip and MCU is a STM core. The antenna is well tuned to 28.5mm

If you want to extend the horizontal range, you can dig a small hole in the top canopy to let the antenna pointing vertically.

The transmitter is taking the general shape of the owl bird and probably also is canibalized from another former SH model.

This design is not fantastic esthetically speaking IMHO.
The transmitter is exactly the same as for the CX-205 model

6xAA batteries are required (not included) and the total weight of the TX is quiet heavy but you can handle it very well.

Sticks are good enough to have precize and smooth flights but are short so not ideal for punchers.
No real dead zones as well as no strong non-linear behaviour of the associated spings

Instead of shoulder buttons, you will find in place some potentionmeters. In general, the more suprizing is the assignation's role of each button. The top shoulder potentiometer represents the throttle trimming (the beep is representing the central position), the second left button allows you to select between beginner (1 beep) and expert mode (2 beeps). The right shoulder potentiometer is the foward/backward trimming and the two right button for the left/right trimming (a long beep is indicating the central position).
Clearly, these potentionmeters are not really adapted for trimming because you can easely touch them accidentally during flights.
Flipping are performed by pressing the right stick. A green light is appearing in the central part of the canopy.
Anyway, the TX is offering you some precize flights, that's the more important. The calibration precedure is defined as follows:
push right stick in lower left position then push the left stick in lower left position. The red light will flash fast during 2s indicating the calibration procedure. Unfortunatly, this led is almost invisible during daylight as for the CX-205.

The radio protocol used is the so-called "SkyWalker". If you don't like the original transmitter, you can use the TX of the V252 pro or the JXD 389 for example .

FIRST USAGE

After applying the gyroscope calibration procedure, the CX-30 is steady hovering. You can definitively control it very precizely for indoors practices. Even in beginner mode, the forward speed is good. The CX-30 is a great flyer offering smooth trajectories ideal to learning in outdoors conditions. At full speed, the CX-30 is fast. When U-turn, the CX-30 can show some signs of instability during 1s but recover perfectly each time. Maybe after removing the props guard, these instabilities will dissipear. The CX-30 is quiet robust against wind. It can fly with wind up to 30-40km/h. Due to its "small" 7mm motors, the speed elevation is not amazing (~1m/s). When flipping, you are loosing in average 2m. The LEDs are brighting a lot and night flying is very enjoyable with such lights. The control range is excellent. No drop out observed within a 50m circle. The flight duration is around 6m-6m30. There is a LVC alarm. The LEDs start to blank slowly. The LVC alarm occured when the LiPo reached 3.3V ... After 6mm of flight, the LiPo was extremely hot ... so you should not wait the LVC alarm to end your flight session. Maybe drill some extra holes in the battery compartement would help to cool the LiPo.

CONCLUSIONS

The CX-30 is a good microquadcopter offering smooth trajectories ideal for learning quadcopters in outdoors conditions. The CX-30 can handle medium wind without problem. LEDs are very bright and give to the CX-30 some great night flying capacities. The CX-30 is not an acrobatic/sportive quadcopter with strong accelerations but is delivering something more soft.
I can compare this quadcopter with the JXD 388 in term of flight caracteristics. If you are looking for a micro-size quadcoter for outdoors, you can't be wrong with this CX-30. More you can control it with a lot of different transmitters especially via a Devo controller compatible DeviationTX.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESING

Cheerson CX-30 unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Eachbuyer) (13 min 40 sec)

PROS

+ Nice design
+ Very stable (6-axis stabilization) and wind resistant
+ Fast forward and banking well
+ Bright LEDs ideal for night flying
+ Silent
+ Good yaw rate
+ Good range control
+ DeviationTX compatible (SkyWakr protocol)
+ LVC alarm (LEDs blinking slowly)

CONS

- Props guard inefficient
- Very slightly underpowered motors (7mmx20mm)
- Flips not fantastic
- Warm/hot Lipo after usage
- Almost invisible control LED (to check the gyroscope calibration procedure for example)
- Potentiometer as trim buttons

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Eachbuyer in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 42.50 USD at
http://bit.ly/cx30EachBuyer
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Aug 11, 2014 at 07:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2014, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods, photos and videos

Cheerson CX-30 outdoors test (Courtesy of Eachbuyer) (6 min 11 sec)
Aug 10, 2014, 09:11 PM
GOT WINGS
Nice review SeBy. Before I read it, I was thinking the size of the motors should be 8.5mm, but that would also add another ~5 grams. Does look interesting though.
Latest blog entry: FMS Ranger 1220
Aug 11, 2014, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
Nice review SeBy. Before I read it, I was thinking the size of the motors should be 8.5mm, but that would also add another ~5 grams. Does look interesting though.
Yes ... it would increase weight of 10%.... I don't know the exact threshold value when to use 7mm or 8.5mm ... maybe around 50 or 60g...
Whatever, this cheerson is a nice flyer .... and loving trees
Aug 11, 2014, 05:28 AM
Thank you so much Seby, this is great. And we have this in stock now, we are testing them right now, the price is 10% lower than what you see on site! Should be OK tomorrow.
Aug 11, 2014, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiluo
Thank you so much Seby, this is great. And we have this in stock now, we are testing them right now, the price is 10% lower than what you see on site! Should be OK tomorrow.
Ok I will update with the new price... thanks
Aug 11, 2014, 11:35 AM
I belong in the sky......
$37 at Banggood
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-...-p-939132.html
Aug 11, 2014, 10:18 PM
Yes and I will make a better price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepstilian
Aug 11, 2014, 11:34 PM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Cheers, SeByDocKy. This look seriously underpowered. My hybrid Galaxy Visitor 2 (stock everything, just with Nano QX FC) easily outperforms this based on your review. What's the size difference between them?

Also, that controller looks horrid. It reminds me of the controllers for many toy infrared helis. Using the SkyWalker protocol is a major saving grace, but how long before they switch that like they did with the CX10 green boards...
Aug 12, 2014, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa
Cheers, SeByDocKy. This look seriously underpowered. My hybrid Galaxy Visitor 2 (stock everything, just with Nano QX FC) easily outperforms this based on your review. What's the size difference between them?

Also, that controller looks horrid. It reminds me of the controllers for many toy infrared helis. Using the SkyWalker protocol is a major saving grace, but how long before they switch that like they did with the CX10 green boards...
Hi,

It's not seriously underpowered don't worry just a bit, nothing really serious. Well you won't climb at 2m/s with this model for sure but something like 1m/s.

For the difference with the GV2... can't tell you, I don't have it.
I agree with you for the controller is horrible .... but this model as well as the flyingegg. I don't think they will change the FC like this. It's my opinion. No this CX-30 is a good flyer at th eend.
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Aug 13, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Aug 24, 2014, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, this is eachbuyer now. http://bit.ly/eachbuyerCX30 four colors to choose from, 35.99$ freeshipping worldwide.
Oct 21, 2014, 02:12 PM
Hi, i have a question, i bought this quad and it didn't come with a charger, only a charging USB to micro losi cable, i do know that lipo batteries require specific lipo chargers to charge.

can you please tell me what charger can i use to charge the battery? because the USB charging cable suggest plugging it into any usb charger which i am hesitant to do out of fear of damaging something or catching fire. thanks
Oct 21, 2014, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dento
Hi, i have a question, i bought this quad and it didn't come with a charger, only a charging USB to micro losi cable, i do know that lipo batteries require specific lipo chargers to charge.

can you please tell me what charger can i use to charge the battery? because the USB charging cable suggest plugging it into any usb charger which i am hesitant to do out of fear of damaging something or catching fire. thanks
Buy a real charger such as the Imax B6AC+ for example. You will need also a JST to 6xmicro-LOSI cable to charge in // several battery of that type
Oct 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Buy a real charger such as the Imax B6AC+ for example. You will need also a JST to 6xmicro-LOSI cable to charge in // several battery of that type
i have the hitec X1, i have to find a micro losi to banana jack cable. thanks.
Oct 28, 2014, 08:32 AM
Too many Quads..small mancave!
hi seby docky.....

have you got a deviation .ini file for the cheerson cx-30 at all please???

much appreciated if you have...........

Quick Reply