This thread is privately moderated by Rob215, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 08, 2014, 07:57 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"
Thread OP
Discussion

Anti-Jello Mount for 808 Camera

Here's my latest, super simple anti-vibration/anti-jello mount for a 808 #16 camera. I currently have two 808 cameras, one with the fisheye "D" lens and one with the "B" lens. The "B" lens is not as wide so it tends to be more susceptible to jello than the "D" lens.

I've tried a number of materials and some worked well with the "D" lens but not with the "B" lens camera. Finally, I looked at the designs of gimbal mounts being sold for GoPro cameras and decided to make a mini version, with 4 points of suspension using rubber bands.

How To: Anti-Jello / Anti-Vibration Mount for 808 #16 Camera (2 min 21 sec)

So far, this is the simplest, lightest, most effective, cheapest, and easiest to make solution I've found. You can vary its effectiveness by changing the length of the rubber bands. Longer rubber bands are more effective when it comes to eliminating jello, but the camera can wobble a little in tight turns or sudden acceleration/deceleration. Shorter rubber bands make the camera more stable but aren't as good at eliminating jello.

For my Syma X1 V3 quad, I made several different versions of the mount with Velcro so I could test different ones or attach the camera directly to the frame. I had mounts with 54mm, 58mm, and 64mm rubber bands and I was getting the best results with 58mm rubber bands. For the V4 quad, I just made a mount with 58mm bands and glued it directly to the frame.

Here's a series of short tests I did with my V3 quad and:
a) stock motors, unbalanced props, and no mount
b) new motors, balanced props, and no mount
c) new motors, balanced props, mount with 58mm rubber bands

Syma X1 Quadcopter - Testing Anti-Vibration / Anti-Jello Mount (1 min 43 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2014, 02:23 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"
Thread OP

Indoor Flight

Here's an indoor flight...

Syma X1 + Nano QX Hybrid - Indoor FPV DVR Test (4 min 41 sec)

First, this is not my house and I'm not flying FPV!! One of my biggest fans let me fly around their house because they were confident I wouldn't break anything. I didn't want to prove them wrong, lol.

The FPV receiver and DVR remained in the back bedroom, next to where quad was launched. I wanted to see how well the FPV system worked through walls. The main video is from the Micro SD card in the 808 camera, while the inset video is the live recording from the FPV receiver.

I thought the FPV system from ReadyMadeRC worked really well. The video transmitter is tiny and only weighs 2 grams! Its powered by a 5v step-up regulator that runs off the main flight battery. The regulator also filters the output so I don't need to run two batteries, like my previous designs.

Finally, I'm using the "B" lens version of the 808 camera. It isn't as wide as the "D" lens but it also doesn't have the fisheye distortion. I thought a home tour would look better with straight walls and doorways. The camera is attached to the X1 with my DIY Anti-Jello mount.

Syma X1 V4 Hybrid Quadcopter
- DIY Frame with X1 booms and motor mounts
- CL-0720-12 motors from http://Micro-Motor-Warehouse.com
- Nano QX flight controller
- 808 #16 V3 "B" lens camera
- Micro FPV transmitter from http://ReadyMadeRC.com
- Lumenier DX600 DVR from http://getFPV.com
- 600mAh battery gives an 8 minute flight time
- Total weight is 90g

Quick Reply