Oct 13, 2014, 12:29 PM

Glacier Good to Me

Hey Steve_

+1 on the Glacier batteries, I've been using them for about a year in various sizes with NO issues.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2014, 12:51 PM
Bullseye

Glacier fan

I am also a Glacier Fan. Love the larger balance connector. Price and reliability are outstanding
Oct 13, 2014, 01:00 PM
Seahawks
Don't think I'd risk all that Bling on a non OEM bat. Not unless I knew lipos inside out.

But, When I got my 200SRX in May OEM bats were almost $40 with shipping. Way to expensive. RC not my main hobby.

I found a $9.60 nano tech 950 bat I could pickup saving shipping & tax I took the chance.

So far so good.

Thanks!!
Last edited by Palm Desert Heli; Oct 13, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Oct 13, 2014, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Desert Heli
Don't think I'd risk all that Bling on a non OEM bat. Not unless I knew lipos inside out.

But, When I got my 200SRX in May OEM bats were almost $40 with shipping. Way to expensive. RC not my main hobby.

I found a $9.60 nano tech 950 bat I could pickup saving shipping & tax I took the chance.

So far so good.

Thanks!!
The forum is a great resource for saving money, thanks to folks sharing what
works and what doesn't.

My first toy helicopter (DH9116) had so many folks trying different things that we got
to the point where we all had a source for $6 batteries, $4 main motors, $3 tail motors,
$2 blades, and $1 head assemblies.

That bird got LOTS of flight time. Too much to count, thanks to the guys here on the forum.
Last edited by Steve_; Oct 13, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Oct 14, 2014, 09:18 PM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_
I would rather read about LiPo's.

Consider yourself blessed if you would rather work than play.

Surely there must be some interest in there? LiPo's are amazing.

It's almost beyond comprehension how much battery technology has evolved
over the last 30 years.

When I started in RC, a good hobby grade pack was a Tamiya 7.2v NiCad battery.

It had a 1200mAh capacity, a hard plastic case, and weighed as much as a brick.
I was just at my LHS today and asked a really good helo pilot about Hobby King's equipment. He said that they had some good stuff for cheap. I asked him specifically about their batteries and noted how inexpensive they were. He walked over to his bench and handed me two batteries. They both were swelled up. He stated that you get what you pay for and both of those batteries came from Hobby King. He added that they lasted about 15 flights on his TRex 750 and then died.

So again, I'm sticking with stock. They work, they're recommended and they have a really good amount of flight time.
Oct 15, 2014, 06:02 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Not all hobby king lipos are crap, but yes, I will admit they are somewhat more umm... unpredictable than carefully selected and qc'ed brands.

Of course, you get what you pay for.

But they have a place, for the price. For example, I got 12 x mcpx BL lipos, that's like, go to the park, fly, reload, fly, reload.... If I bought all stock....how much more would it have cost?

Just be careful, caveat emptor. The BL lipos you get from hobby king (nanotech brand) are ok, BUT their 1S nano cpx ones are compete rubbish. Of course, the qc could be so bad, someone reading here might have had a good batch of those 1S's and are probably wondering what I'm bitching about.
Oct 15, 2014, 09:19 AM
What goes up must come down

What is level

I was looking over the advanced setting sheet I would like to do the Trim Flight Mode but to hover perfectly level for 30 sec. at over 50% throttle means I have to remove my 13t pinion or I would be gaining altitude for the 30 sec. and to hold a perfectly level hover for 30 sec. in NH with the fall winds is not going to happen for me. ( this all started from a bunch of falling leaves yesterday when they hit the main blades while in flight, heli hit the ground like a rock just not a good day ) but anyway if I follow junkman2008's idea and do this on a level table should I level the heli as well, if you look at the 200 srx sitting on the stock landing gear it leans to the rear and that seams to be the natural resting point for stock gear and is that why there is a 1.5 - 2 degree slant to the swashplate .
can anyone help out with this.. Thanks
Oct 15, 2014, 09:15 PM

Level

what happened I used a servo tester to find servo center ( wrong ) and I did my trim flight on table ( wrong again ) . I had to let the safe system find center per the advanced setting setup sheet and do the flight out side as per the setup sheet .
I tried the servo calibration then trim flight on table would end up with a hard pull left on the aileron took all my right aileron stick to keep it level. so as I said just followed the advanced setup sheet and all is good, So watch out for falling leaves those large oak leaves took mine down, Had to rebuild aileron servo replace main gear
Thanks for the information everyone
Oct 15, 2014, 09:25 PM
Inertial dampers failing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher
what happened I used a servo tester to find servo center ( wrong ) and I did my trim flight on table ( wrong again ) . I had to let the safe system find center per the advanced setting setup sheet and do the flight out side as per the setup sheet .
I tried the servo calibration then trim flight on table would end up with a hard pull left on the aileron took all my right aileron stick to keep it level. so as I said just followed the advanced setup sheet and all is good, So watch out for falling leaves those large oak leaves took mine down, Had to rebuild aileron servo replace main gear
Thanks for the information everyone
What's odd is I replaced a servo today also. with exactly the same result - pull to left. I got the left prob taken care of about 98%, stil have a little backwards to deal with...

Are you saying that you followed the second half of the advanced settings and setup that has me run through the servo calibration?
I also have the 13t pinion, how did you work around that doing the Trim Flight?

peace
Oct 15, 2014, 09:30 PM
with the 13t pinion I was still just over the 50% at a hover so I just followed the directions on the advanced setup sheet
Oct 15, 2014, 09:34 PM
Quote:
with the 13t pinion I was still just over the 50% at a hover so I just followed the directions on the advanced setup sheet
if i goto 51% then I'm shooting into the air... might have to check my throttle curve..
oh wait... do you think I could just turn down my throttle trim enough to get the stick above 50%?

Where is it measuring 50% from?

I think i'm having a "duuhhh" moment...
Oct 15, 2014, 09:52 PM
I use the transmitter that came with the 200 srx . I am not to sure where the safe system is getting the 50% from I think the ESC ? but not completely sure could be a combination of the pair. just know it works. if you have Telemetry in your tx or are using a tx that you can adjust might try that. I also have my throttle gain only at about 150% not the full 200% you could always lower the throttle gain till your done.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:05 PM
Quote:
I use the transmitter that came with the 200 srx . I am not to sure where the safe system is getting the 50% from I think the ESC ? but not completely sure could be a combination of the pair. just know it works. if you have Telemetry in your tx or are using a tx that you can adjust might try that. I also have my throttle gain only at about 150% not the full 200% you could always lower the throttle gain till your done.
gonna go try to do a legitimate trim flight, will try to turn down motor gain first then see if i can get a hover "after 50%...
using dx6 so I'll see if I can make a temp change to the throttle curve back to linear.

thanks for helping my mind get in gear.
Oct 20, 2014, 04:50 AM
As far as my experience goes this bird is a pile of junk. The first i sent back with tail issues and the second it would not level out at centre sticks and then crash. result was both servo's gone and a bent boom. My annoyance was there was no power cut so hence the chocalate servo's went by the time i had stopped it on the cyclic. I was not giving up as it was my crash. I replaced the gears and boom and then i had the same problems as the earlier video. I followed the instruction to the letter and when plugged back in the lipo caught fire!. now the servo's are OK. So i connected another after making adjustments and back to the same problem. So i have thrown it in the trash. I am sure others have had a good one but i can only go on my experience . It was really a heli for the winter and i have a Blade 130 on the way....
Oct 20, 2014, 05:03 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar joe
As far as my experience goes this bird is a pile of junk. The first i sent back with tail issues and the second it would not level out at centre sticks and then crash. result was both servo's gone and a bent boom. My annoyance was there was no power cut so hence the chocalate servo's went by the time i had stopped it on the cyclic. I was not giving up as it was my crash. I replaced the gears and boom and then i had the same problems as the earlier video. I followed the instruction to the letter and when plugged back in the lipo caught fire!. now the servo's are OK. So i connected another after making adjustments and back to the same problem. So i have thrown it in the trash. I am sure others have had a good one but i can only go on my experience . It was really a heli for the winter and i have a Blade 130 on the way....
You should have sent it to me. I would have made it fly and then some.

Quick Reply