Jun 08, 2017, 10:43 AM
My name is Naga
Quote:
Originally Posted by diiity
Hello,

Someone would have found the way to replace the servos by other brands, I find them very fragile, the slightest shock and teeth break, a buddy even crashed his helicopter because of a gable that has Broken in flight, his device had never had a shock?

diiity
Which country are you in?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2017, 01:41 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wester
Hello Junkman,

I am lazy and don't feel like reading thru all the posts. ( Must say you are very through and have covered in great detail a lot of good info)
I am looking for suggestions on alternative blades and where I could obtain them. Thanks for you help.
The only blades that I have ever used other than stock were the Rakon Heli blades that came with my 5-blade build. They were VERY responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround
Junkman,

Just to say a big 'thank you'. I flew my 200SRX after a long hiatus. Maybe I forgot how to fly it but I ended up dropping it down hard whilst it travelled downwind. Snapped the boom, stripped a servo gear wheel and removed a bit of the main gear. I already had main gear and boom to hand so I ordered a gear set and got on with it. Thanks to your guide, everything came apart and went together again without fuss. I determined it needed the trimming procedure so just did your indoor method which worked a treat.

I still need to test fly when the wind calms down a bit but I'm sure all will be fine.

(Oh, and I have really enjoyed some of your car detailing videos as well )
Good to know that this thread is still helping folks out. As for my detailing videos, those puppies are always in production. Thanks for watching.
Aug 08, 2019, 11:04 AM
bxz
bxz
I'm reviving this thread and hope there are still people flying the 200SRX.

First let me say thank you junkman for starting this fantastic thread and together with the RKH mod instruction for the SRX. I did the mod back in 2016. Then because of work, kids and moving I never got the chance to fly. Now that I finally settled down, I started to flying this beauty. I consider myself still a beginner as I can do only the basic stuff, hovering, nose in, circles etc. I got uncomfortable if it's a little too far away when I couldn't see clearly where it's facing.

Anyway, by redoing the whole servo calibration then gain setting to default 100%, and then a trim flight all according to manual. It hovered beautifully with hands free, but only for the first couple of minutes, as you know if you have read this thread, several people have seen the same thing: it initially flies so stable and then 2 min later you can barely keep him center with right stick all the way right or forward. Basically it drifted on its own mind, the SAFE technology here seems not safe anymore.

I was a test engineer in a big tech company for 12 years, so I started to dig into it. I'll list what i did:
1) Make sure all nuts and bolts tight, servo tightened, no broken teeth, arm perpendicular. Swash plate centered with about 2 degree tip backwards after initialization.
2) tried normal trim flight indoors, landed, saved the data. Then I flied indoors, same results, after a little bit about 2 min, started drifting back left. But if you power cycle the heli, it'll always fly stable the initial 2 min or so, then drift starts.
3) tried trim flight on level surface with no main blade, same drifting happened after a while. ( I'm not sure this is a correct way to calibrate the leveling, as it'll be very different capturing the servo movement data flying vs it sitting on a level ground. A different battery with different weight will definitely generate different data when flying, but not with this sitting calibration. I then called Horizon and asked its validity, of course they said it's not correct to do a trim flight like that. With that said, I can say trimming this way helps to some extend if you can not do a perfect hover. )
4) Horizon tech asked me the send it back for check, maybe some servo loose or parts issue. So I did one last experiment which totally convinced me it's most likely the SAFE software that's causing the problem. I think they just don't wanna admit as it has caused so many beginners' time and money by crashing, buying new parts, keep crashing... What I did is just simply flying in agility mode, disabling the self-leveling, perfect 15 min hover flight on a single battery, 3 batteries in a row. No issue at all, I didn't even have one incident that it drifts that much. Then I put the 4th battery in and turn on SAFE, 2 min into the flight, drifting started, landed her, turned SAFT off, fly solid again. OK, I guess my test is done. This is something Horizon will not fix and maybe they can't fix at all as no upgradable firmware available for the 200SRX!

The 200SRX's receiver is not firmware upgradable like the 230s, and that's why I think they just don't wanna admit it. They just wanted people forget about it and move on to new products as time passed by. For those people who didn't see this drifting issue, did you really try flight in SAFE mode long enough to see this problem?

I'm not sure what data was reordered doing the trim flight and what data was being used when flying in SAFE mode, the algorithm or firmware governing the SAFE technology in 200SRX must be doing some crazy calculation so that it's perfect in first couple of min then it's trying to crashing itself the following minute.

I'm seriously considering the 230s V2 but worried if the same problem still exists. I know you can upgrade the firmware for the 230sV2 so hopefully the issue has long gone. But again, companies sometimes tried to hide their known issue, as all companies do.
Aug 08, 2019, 03:04 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Well .... my 200 SRX has been in the box for quite some time now, the Main gear a little bruised but still flyable ... a toolbox with parts to 70% build another ... no motor, ESC or RX/FLB. I just don't fly it since moving on to the nano CPS because it mess my head up for CP flying. I was great for learning some box, figure 8 FF learning though.

Well .... I JUST answered the SAFE question to your finding to someone in the 230S V2 thread, every SAFE Heli I have .... 5 of them I think it is, you have to fight to hover in Beginner Mode, after out in the IU modes or at least it is okay and will hover in one spot with very little input, the only exception is the nanoS2, it's middle mode sucks too if you set it up by the book, use a constant 80-85% Throttle Curve and it is okay, but IU2 is the best there.

Your 200 SRX sure is pretty - too pretty for a learning machine. I left mine stock and just rebuilt servos often to keep flying and 1 major rebuild other than those require by the failed in the air servo parts required landings. My 230S V2 is mostly stock also. Move on over, the 230S V2 is the best flier I have, don't stop at the 130S .... mine is horrible.

My BLOG - I admit - I now have TOO MANY Helis - and then there are the FP's waiting to be photographed to sell.
Aug 08, 2019, 03:31 PM
My name is Naga
My 200srx has been in it's box for well over a year.

A security guy at work begged me to sell him a good beginners copter and I finally gave in and let him have mine since I had moved on to CP. I asked for the price they were going used on eBay, went through it all and made sure everything was pucker and included a whole bunch of spares (about 70 worth) at no extra cost. It was a great deal for him.

He wanted to pay for it in instalments which I agreed to and after receiving the copter made the first payment. A month later he wanted to return it and get a refund. I agreed simply to avoid any problems. I took it back and returned the money he had paid up till then.

The battery was puffed and unusable, the main gear missing teeth. I have never flown it since so have no idea how much damage he did as a total beginner during the time he had it.

Regarding the 130s, I bought two used ones off eBay. One was in as good as new condition and it flys OK.

The second had been well bashed (much cheaper) and came with some CF vinyl artfully applied around the stock shell which makes it very tough, and some cleverly made skids from the same material which are bomb proof, clever mods. It is a bit heavier than the stock one as a result and flys absolutely great! Love it! The extra weight is easily handled by the set up and makes it much more stable.
Aug 08, 2019, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
The second had been well bashed (much cheaper) and came with some CF vinyl artfully applied around the stock shell which makes it very tough, and some cleverly made skids from the same material which are bomb proof, clever mods. It is a bit heavier than the stock one as a result and flys absolutely great! Love it! The extra weight is easily handled by the set up and makes it much more stable.
Never got it flying right without tail blowing out ... attempts to do so resulted in servo failures. Mine eats servos which has caused collateral damage .... not sure if it is the OEM programming stretching the servos too much on power up, but since they were really new replacement parts when failing, I think shoddy QA from HH or Spek in one place or the other.

I will sell my 200 SRX to someone learning to fly Heli - along with a link to this thread and all my parts for it .... the 130S my feelings are - I just hope I have enough parts left to get one nice high speed FF and a sturdy brick wall to catch it!

Sorry to hear about the return of your 200 .... I know you keep your stuff in good flying shape. I guess now you know how HH feels when newbies return merchandise.
Last edited by SilverSport; Aug 08, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Aug 08, 2019, 03:52 PM
My name is Naga
HH servos are crap!

I replaced both servos on the 200srx as I got fed up with them stripping every time I farted.

Also, I forgot to mention one of the servos on the bashed 130s was buggered. The shaft and pinion was ripped out, the commonly reported problem. As it was I had a new spare for a 130x so took the motor out of that and grafted it into the damaged 130s servo. Seems fine, but I don't do 3D.
Aug 10, 2019, 08:47 AM
bxz
bxz
Nagas, what servo did you replace with? I'm thinking to do the same.

Had a crash and broke the main shaft, lucky I still have the original frame and shaft, the force was so hard that the fiberglass shaft was twisted cracked. Luckily not much other damage, I have to replace the tail blade too only to find the flying time reduced almost half. After checking online, the cause was the direction of the tail blade, surprised that much efficiency reduced.

Anyway, the SAFE mode drifting will always be there, and I gave up fighting it anymore. It just sometimes behaves correctly and sometimes goes crazy after a while. I found the NON-SAFE mode is much better controlled and the help can hover with hands free. Since my DEVO 7e doesn't have the panic mode, anytime in SAFE mode if the heli is behaving odd, I just flip the SAFE switch off to STUNT mode, the swash will level itself, well I call that self-leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
HH servos are crap!

I replaced both servos on the 200srx as I got fed up with them stripping every time I farted.

Also, I forgot to mention one of the servos on the bashed 130s was buggered. The shaft and pinion was ripped out, the commonly reported problem. As it was I had a new spare for a 130x so took the motor out of that and grafted it into the damaged 130s servo. Seems fine, but I don't do 3D.
Aug 24, 2019, 03:35 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
And I thought my 200SRX was collecting rust!

Damn guys, I haven't flown in so long that I pretty much forgot how to but I messed around and bought a 230S V2 and I'm getting back in the saddle again. I lost one of my RK birds (lost orientation and watched it fly away). I still have another one and enough parts to build another so after wrecking my new bird, I decided to see what the 200 would do. Still flys and I managed to destroy a servo but hey, I got plenty parts.

Glad to hear this thread is still useful. I still like flying although the crashing sucks but hey, it's like riding a bike, right?

Oh wow, I just realized that all of my pictures are gone! Well, if I can edit the thread, I will put them back. Man, that's going to be a lot of work!
Aug 24, 2019, 06:00 PM
Wow .... what happened to the pix. I was here looking at your servo rebuild pictures 2 flights ago when I had one fail as I was leaning through a turn during some FF. That was in August of last year though when I took it out after months of just flying CP.

I don't fly my 200 much either, flying FP messes with my CP muscle memory. I really like the 230 S v2 and have had to rebuild it from frame up .... as well as many other CP birds I have now. I have to credit your thread and all the servo failure collateral damage repairs I had to do with my 200 making it much easier to rebuild them.

Quick Reply