Aug 12, 2014, 01:40 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks33
thanks for the reply, any chance on making your detailed repair guide in a download friendly pdf?
I'm entertaining that idea.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2014, 07:20 PM
*Bump*
Aug 14, 2014, 11:28 AM
I am what I teach
Just a quick note to be careful of the aluminum trap! Most of the parts you are replacing with aluminum are just unnecessary weight. Do you really need aluminum to hold a tail fin or canopy in place? By replacing cheap sacrificial plastic parts with costly metal parts you are transferring the energy to more expensive parts.

Other "upgrades" like the CF frame and skids will bend and break where the plastic flexes and remains useful.

If something breaks in a crash it does not always mean design flaw, it means you crashed.

Remember, every bit of extra weight you add to your bird decreases flight time, decreases maneuverability and performance, and makes it hit harder in a crash.

Choose wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008
I have done one better. I'm adding the following from Rakon Heli:

1) CNC Aluminum Main Rotor Hub Set
2) CNC Hardened Steel Spindle Shaft Set
3) CNC Aluminum Main Blade Grips Set
4) CNC Aluminum Swashplate Set
5) CNC Delrin 120T Main Gear w/AL Hub Set + 104T Main Gear
6) CNC Solid Carbon Main Shaft w/AL Collar Set
7) CNC Aluminum and Carbon Fiber Main Frame Set + Landing Skids
8) CNC AL Canopy Mount Set
9) Canopy Standard Shape-Schema 01
10) Carbon Tube Tail Boom-Standard Length
11) CNC Aluminum Tail Boom Support Set
12) CNC Aluminum Horizontal Stabilizer Fin Mount Set
13) CNC CF Tail Fin Set
14) CNC Aluminum Tail Motor Mount Set
15) Brass Pinion 10T + 11T + 12T + 13T

I'm going from blah, blah to BLING, BLING! I had to wait until I could fly without crashing anymore before I could do this though! Now I'm ready.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "better and separate ESC's". I have not seen another ESC offered for this heli, much less two of them. Why would you need two of them since one controls everything? A;so, where would you mount the second one? I'm thinking that weight would be an issue with this.
Aug 14, 2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren
Just a quick note to be careful of the aluminum trap! Most of the parts you are replacing with aluminum are just unnecessary weight. Do you really need aluminum to hold a tail fin or canopy in place? By replacing cheap sacrificial plastic parts with costly metal parts you are transferring the energy to more expensive parts.

Other "upgrades" like the CF frame and skids will bend and break where the plastic flexes and remains useful.

If something breaks in a crash it does not always mean design flaw, it means you crashed.

Remember, every bit of extra weight you add to your bird decreases flight time, decreases maneuverability and performance, and makes it hit harder in a crash.

Choose wisely.
+1

The alloy parts look awesome, flex less, and offer more precision.

The extra weight is not a big deal on a CP, as you can just add a degree or two
of pitch to your curve.

Although, for FP's the extra weight directly effects performance and there is not
much you can do about it without changing motors, blades or gearing.

I have flown the Blade 300x and 450 3D airframes, both with lots of plastic, and they
have proven to be just as durable as my HK250GT and HK450GT frames which
are mostly aluminum parts.
Last edited by Steve_; Aug 14, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Aug 17, 2014, 12:39 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren

Choose wisely.
Good points. However, the only reason that I even considered doing this is that I finally learned how to fly this thing without crashing anymore. Add to that, I have a lot of batteries and I have no desire to do anything stunt related. Pretty much the only thing that I do is hover high and low, and I get a lot of pleasure doing just that. One battery pretty much last me 10 minutes with the grandma flying that I do.
Aug 17, 2014, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_
+1

The alloy parts look awesome, flex less, and offer more precision.

The extra weight is not a big deal on a CP, as you can just add a degree or two
of pitch to your curve.

Although, for FP's the extra weight directly effects performance and there is not
much you can do about it without changing motors, blades or gearing.

I have flown the Blade 300x and 450 3D airframes, both with lots of plastic, and they
have proven to be just as durable as my HK250GT and HK450GT frames which
are mostly aluminum parts.
Steve - I would tend to agree...although, SOME parts, e.g., main gear, servo's and tail feathers would benefit from the added durability upgrades can provide. IF I was an excellent pilot, I would ever NEED the heavy duty parts, but I pretty much suck, so....

Quote:
Good points. However, the only reason that I even considered doing this is that I finally learned how to fly this thing without crashing anymore. Add to that, I have a lot of batteries and I have no desire to do anything stunt related. Pretty much the only thing that I do is hover high and low, and I get a lot of pleasure doing just that. One battery pretty much last me 10 minutes with the grandma flying that I do.
Junkman - Thank you for the guide. I've already made several mistakes along the way; but will caution you about the CF Main Shaft. I had issues getting bearings on main shaft and had to saw CF shaft in half.

And you might want to use restraint when ordering all that bling.

And where can I get the CF frame I heard mentioned; I'm IN.
Aug 17, 2014, 07:48 PM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon
... Junkman - Thank you for the guide. I've already made several mistakes along the way; but will caution you about the CF Main Shaft. I had issues getting bearings on main shaft and had to saw CF shaft in half.
I addressed that issue in my write-up. If you can't get the bearing off the shaft, one of two things have happened. You've either bent your shaft or you have wallowed out the holes in the shaft from too many hard crashes. Yep, been there and done that! Next time, try filing the hole edges down even with the shaft. The bearings should come off easily.

Quote:
And you might want to use restraint when ordering all that bling.
Hell, I drive this. Bling is my girlfriend!

Quote:
And where can I get the CF frame I heard mentioned; I'm IN.
Everything I'm getting is coming from Rakon Heli.
Aug 18, 2014, 08:05 AM

Faster!

Nice ride Junkman!

I LOVE fast cars and bikes (owned a few Ducati's.)

Thanks for the advice on the shaft. I only had MAJOR trouble with the CF shaft getting bearing ON.

LMK how you do when you get your CF shaft, as I could have gotten one that was slightly out of tolerance.

And no one sells a CF frame that I know of..yet

Happy Flying
Aug 19, 2014, 10:26 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
... And no one sells a CF frame that I know of..yet
I'm putting mine by Rakon Heli together right now.

Aug 19, 2014, 04:53 PM

Thank You Thank You

If only I had had this guide earlier I would have saved myself many hundreds of dollars. The clarity of your guide is OUTSTANDING!
I am up to my third tail motor and now I finally get how the tail rotor should be orientated.
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Aug 19, 2014, 05:25 PM
Bullseye

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt100au
If only I had had this guide earlier I would have saved myself many hundreds of dollars. The clarity of your guide is OUTSTANDING!
I am up to my third tail motor and now I finally get how the tail rotor should be orientated.
Amen and Amen and Amen
Aug 19, 2014, 09:07 PM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt100au
You're welcome, You're welcome, You're welcome!
Aug 20, 2014, 07:00 AM
Quote:
I'm putting mine by Rakon Heli together right now.

Well then, I'm glad that I stand corrected; thanks for the info. Nice looking frame~!
Aug 21, 2014, 05:10 AM
"Devil Dog"
Thread OP
Quote:
Well then, I'm glad that I stand corrected; thanks for the info. Nice looking frame~!
Got the entire thing together but I need to change the main gear or the pinion, which ever I figure out to be best.

Aug 21, 2014, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Got the entire thing together but I need to change the main gear or the pinion, which ever I figure out to be best.

Freakin' EXCELLENT Junkman~!

I'm sure everyone is interested in the flight report; I know I am.

Thank you

Mark

Quick Reply