First radio: Graupner mz-18 or wait for the FrSky Horus? - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2014, 03:08 PM
Help!

First radio: Graupner mz-18 or wait for the FrSky Horus?

Hey, I'd like to get into the hobby and am looking for an amazing radio that I can learn on, get a feel for and stick with for the next few years. I've pretty much nailed it down to these two radios. (I realize that feature wise, the Taranis would be a viable option as well but the 'ergonomics' just dont appeal to me.)

So, do you think I should shell out for the Graupner right now or would it be wiser to hold on to my wallet and wait for the Horus, which is rumored to make an appearance in October? Are 9 channels even enough to make use of all the bells and whistles the Naza-m or a Pixhawk flight controller provides? Is it going to be sufficient in the forseeable future to get into helicopters and FPV? I realized that Id prefer thumb flying, so Id like to order a flower-shaped gimbal stick extension. Which models are compatible with Graupner gimbals?

Also, since I'm living within the EU and would like to take my toys abroad, I noticed that this radio seems to have a region menu that you can set yourself. It seems like all versions of the mz-18 seem to be CE/FCC certified and an official from Graupner confirmed that the 'US'-version 'has more juice', so.. Id like to get my hands on said version, if that's possible. Is it reasonable to assume that he simply referred to the 'english version' of this radio? (I'm planning to buy it here, if that helps.) Since I'd actually prefer an english UI and voice alerts, it would save me time and effort of flashing the english language packs.

One final thought.. ( and thanks for reading this far :) does anyone know where to get a cheap cable to hook up the transmitter to my pc? I already own Phoenix 5, so while I'm waiting for the Electrohub frame from Flitetest, I could actually practice on something better than a cheap, wonky simulator gamepad.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2014, 06:30 AM
Well, as a Taranis user of course I would say frsky all the way!
An audio cable to most txs will get sim working.
Taranis is cheap and amazing features, if you are in a rush, maybe get there Taranis now and Horus later , moving models from one to the other should be easy peasy.
Sep 29, 2014, 08:25 AM
bein ebin
I'm in the same boat too. Started looking at the taranis then drifted to taranis and now my eyes are looking at graupner mz 18. Its a bit expensive but you get two receivers and many say its easy to program. Yes it looks much better than the taranis. But, taranis is more powerful feature wise to the extend that it can intimidate a new person and that is my one concern..I'm not that good at programming and I'm worried I might give up in frustration. But there are a lot of tutorials a.d videos out there which is comforting.

It's a difficult phase and I understand where you are coming from. Everyone is praising the taranis so they all cannot be wrong I believe.
Sep 29, 2014, 03:38 PM
Wild & Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam
I'm in the same boat too. Started looking at the taranis then drifted to taranis and now my eyes are looking at graupner mz 18. Its a bit expensive but you get two receivers and many say its easy to program. Yes it looks much better than the taranis. But, taranis is more powerful feature wise to the extend that it can intimidate a new person and that is my one concern..I'm not that good at programming and I'm worried I might give up in frustration. But there are a lot of tutorials a.d videos out there which is comforting.

It's a difficult phase and I understand where you are coming from. Everyone is praising the taranis so they all cannot be wrong I believe.
Hi....i wanted to say that i have owned the Spektrum DX8 and the Graupner MZ-24
and by far the Taranis is better, they are all equally hard/easy to learn or program.
as for features and price , the Frsky Taranis is the way to go.
the radio cost 175. us and a 8 channel receiver cost 33 us. the DX8 and MZ-24 , the 8 channel RX's cost double that of the Taranis.
as for help setting up the radio, the Taranis has a HUGE database of users in forums around the world that will answer any question you can think of???

That is why i bought the FrSky,
good luck and if you have any questions, just use these forums......

Sovrin
Sep 29, 2014, 07:28 PM
Taranis Tyro...
You are comparing teh OpenT radios to the wrong Graupner - to get anywhere near them you will need the mz-24, and even that is outgunned from a flexibility and mixing capabilities perspective, even if they don't have the glossy colour sceen etc. They are kncking on the door of 400, so more than twice a Taranis; no-one knows how much Horus would be, but my money would be on 300-350 mark.

Based on that it looks like a no brainer to me, especially if you actually want to go flying now rather than next season. Buy the Taranis, learn OpenTX on it, then sell it when the Horus comes out and port across all your setups - simples! Resale on Taranii is strong so it will probably cost you only 30-40 to own that radio for a year, and the total cost vs functionality compared to the Graupner still wins out. Also remember FrSky's reputation on delivery dates is a little sketchy - yes the Horus is due to be shown in October, but it won't be out until next year. Buying nothing and waiting for the Horus would therefore be a bit of a risk IMO.
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 03, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Sep 29, 2014, 08:18 PM
What can the Horus do that the Taranis will not? It's hard to image.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:24 PM
bein ebin
I feel hours is like a big jump pf makeover on the taranis. Open tx with awesome looks ?
Sep 30, 2014, 01:16 AM
Converting O2 to CO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
when the Horus comes out and port across all your setups - simples!
If the Horus comes out, it'll probably be announced this weekend. FrSky is a listed vendor:

http://www.ihobbyexpo.com/Exhibitor%...%209-29-14.pdf
Sep 30, 2014, 02:36 AM
bein ebin
Holly dolly mama jonny. So I better wait
Sep 30, 2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144
Here it is.
Sep 30, 2014, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
What can the Horus do that the Taranis will not? It's hard to image.
I don't care if it looks like that, I thought the taranis was the last TX I would buy DUH.
Sep 30, 2014, 09:42 PM
bein ebin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
That looks unreal !

Check the power button ! Wow ! Also voice recognition ? How many channels ?

Specs :

High resolution IPS screen (800*480), touch operation supported
Bluetooth 4.0
Voice broadcast and recognition
Inbuilt 9-axis sensor, do everything you can imagine
* Inbuilt GPS and WiFi

Sounds like a smartphone ! Wifi ? for what ?
Sep 30, 2014, 10:59 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam
Wifi ? for what ?
(GoPro) video feed.
Oct 01, 2014, 12:02 AM
bein ebin
Naaice
Oct 02, 2014, 03:27 AM
Bo Edstrm, Sweden
FrSky Horus has a nice design, some similarities externally to a Jeti DS-14/16 transmitter.
It will be interesting to see the price of this new radio. And when will it be avaliable to buy for end users? For some companies it takes years from annoncement before it is in production and avaliable to buy but hopefully FrSky is quicker. How long did it take beftween Taranis was annonced until it was in production and avaliable to buy? Could give a clue this time also.

/Bo