Aug 06, 2014, 06:35 AM
AECS USN Ret P3 Flt Engineer
Thread OP

Karma or "what goes around ,comes around"

Supposedly this was the guy who complained about the "porta potti" truck

Dear Friends of Sundew Gardens, 080614

The adjacent 10 acre property to the North of our homestead is being developed. Using a questionable zoning practice, the developer, Chris Dorworth, is trying to rezone his land from A-1 (agricultural 1 acre lots) to a designation called PD (planned development at 4 houses per acre). The PD zoning process avoids many of the requirements of standard zoning, including side spacing between houses (zero lot line), back buffers between adjacent properties, density of houses, environmental planning, and drainage issues. Seminole County ordinances clearly state that new developments must be ‘compatible’ with existing homes, but this PD process will be lumping 8 two story houses within 35’ of my homestead. With houses being built so close, my farm, Sundew Gardens, will become encumbered and I will not be able to use parts of it for farming. The success of Sundew Gardens is based in large part upon guests experiencing the serenity of the rural countryside.

I am asking you to send an email to Seminole County Commissioner Bob Dallari, bdallari@seminolecountyfl.gov , to express your concern about development encroaching on a local farm, your experiences at Sundew Gardens, and the importance of compatibly developing our community. The list of other concerns ranging from traffic issues, commercial lighting in a rural setting, school crowding, flooding, even wildlife habitats can all be addressed by asking that the A-1 zoning remain in place.

Also send the same letter to twilliamson@seminolecountyfl.gov asking to place it in the public record. If you can, please plan to attend the BCC (Board of County Commissioners) meeting in Sanford, scheduled for Tuesday, August 12th at 1:30 PM.

Thanks,

Tom Carey

407-430-2178

Example (pick appropriate topics from paragraph 2):

Dear Commissioner Dallari,

Please vote against rezoning the Old Lockwood Road development to PD. Please keep the zoning at A-1.

For many years, I have visited Tom and Robin Carey’s homestead, Sundew Gardens, and I like its rural character. Building this many houses that loom so close would not be compatible with the existing neighborhood. This East side of the whole stretch of Old Lockwood Road is natural country, and the existing community has kept its rural character the same for many years. I have seen the results of heavy thunderstorms on the dirt road, Red Ember Road, and flooding is a serious concern. Driving all the way East on Red Ember Road, the forests are especially beautiful by the Econlockhatchee River. The local elementary school, Carillon, is near capacity, and the PD process only counts building lots, not the number of bedrooms in these large houses. The recently constructed nearby Ellingsworth development has horrible lighting, the only commercial lighting on Old Lockwood Road, that washes all of the stars from the night sky.

The wildlife in this part of the county is wonderful, but pushing into dense wetlands with even more development will eventually erode Seminole County’s ‘Natural Choice’ theme.

Thanks,

Name, Address, Phone number.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply