Thread Tools
Aug 06, 2014, 12:31 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Build Log

Guillows DHC-2 Beaver Kit# 305 LC RC Conversion


Hey guys! The other day I was scrolling through some Dumas Kits when I saw that Guillows has picked up their game a bit with better wood and Laser Cut parts and they are C-H-E-A-P now! So scrolling through some models and I saw the DHC-2 Beaver which I had never seen before and searching the forums I saw 1-2 posts about the kit, and next to no RC conversions. So obviously the logical idea is to order one and see what I can do! Along with the kit ($26!!), I picked up a 3A brushed 1S ESC for my AR6410 which has a burnt ESC, a HobbyKing C10 motor, 6A brushless ESC, and a load of micro 1S and 2S batteries so I got plenty of options for power. With the 24" wingspan I originally thought that the only chance was brushless, but I stumbled across a post http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/20...onversion.html where he used the UM P51 (Same as Champ) motor with the AR6400 and his video shows it flying nice and slow (Just the way I like it ). So I haven't started or even received the kit yet so I am completely open to ideas and suggestions along the way. I'll be posting several pictures along the way! Below are some of my ideas (I love feedback)

- The ParkZone setup seems far lighter than the brushless so I feel that the lighter plane will make up for the less power. (I will also be using 160 and 300 mAh 1 cells so that will give it a little more punch)
- I was thinking of just rudder and elevator to keep the weight down, I do have an ultra micro SpeKtrum servo which I could use for tube-style ailerons but I feel like it wouldn't be able to handle it.
- Possibly 3 lamination of 1/32 by 1/8 for the tail surfaces?
- I was going to print some decals I found on the tissue and seal it with Krylon Satin Finish; didn't wanna spend money on Dope
- Any ideas for where the hatch should be?
- I was planning on building straight from the kit, no hollowing/eliminating ribs, formers, etc

Thanks and stay tuned! Build will start within 3-5 days!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2014, 06:49 AM
Or current resident
glewis's Avatar
If would go with the 8.5mm brushed motor and a single cell because I would want to keep it as light as possible. There really isn't a brushless that will outperform the coreless 8.5 on a single cell.

Plan on a hatch somewhere ahead of or between the gear legs with the 6400 mounted there and the battery sliding up in the cowl under the motor.

A built up empennage with laminated outlines will save you from having to add noseweight later. I think this one would use 1/16" stock for the tail and would go with 4 laminations of 1/32 x 1/16.

Rudder/elevator should work fine, but retain or only slightly reduce the kit dihedral.

Printed tissue and Krylon would be perfect for this one to keep weight at a minimum. Plan on a RTF weight around 60-70grams and you should have a good flying model!

Glenn
Aug 06, 2014, 03:24 PM
Registered User

ScienceGuyOrg Replies


Glad you found my blog post about the DHC-2 conversion, it is still flying well. I have a bunch of the 1 cell 160 mah batteries now because they are used with UMX Radian also. Doing this again I would try to get the RC even further ahead because the motor and battery are so light. I am working on a Guillow's Cessna 150 conversion with brushless and 2-cell, balance will be different.

Bill Kuhl
Aug 06, 2014, 07:06 PM
Registered User
MKellyvich's Avatar
I bought this kit for $11 from A2Z during their closing sale. I'm looking at building it for RC using the Flyzone Aircore 2s brushless flight pack. Probably won't use all the Aircore framework/mounting system as I don't plan to swap the flight pack between airframes. ScienceGuy, from the video your Beaver looks like a very enjoyable plane to fly.

I'm debating about ailerons+flaps vs. ailerons+rudder. I realize there's no real need for flaps on this small of a model but I'm taken by the challenge of building it in.

Mike
Aug 06, 2014, 09:25 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Electronics came today! Unfortunately even with the micro 3A brushed esc the UM Trojan brick wouldn't let it initialize :/ I had it plugged in just like you would a brushless esc. So I kinda am forced to go with the heavier brushless route. Luckily I found a micro spekrum servo which I can use for torque rod ailerons. Now I got an AR6400 and a bunch of single cells for no use :/ really hope the build will work out well! Quick question I was thinking of soldering on some micro JST besides the JST plugs that came with the batteries. Any ideas?
Last edited by Miliroxx28; Aug 07, 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Didn't have message quoted so that was done in a separate post
Aug 06, 2014, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Again thank you all for your help and support. Good luck on your guy's Cessna and beaver!! Post pics!
Aug 07, 2014, 10:30 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKellyvich
I bought this kit for $11 from A2Z during their closing sale. I'm looking at building it for RC using the Flyzone Aircore 2s brushless flight pack. Probably won't use all the Aircore framework/mounting system as I don't plan to swap the flight pack between airframes. ScienceGuy, from the video your Beaver looks like a very enjoyable plane to fly.

I'm debating about ailerons+flaps vs. ailerons+rudder. I realize there's no real need for flaps on this small of a model but I'm taken by the challenge of building it in.

Mike
Flaps would just be extra weight that you don't need. When flying especially in cross-wind, you'll have a great advantage with rudder over ailerons. Go rudder + elevator and if you want ailerons
Aug 07, 2014, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceGuyOrg
Glad you found my blog post about the DHC-2 conversion, it is still flying well. I have a bunch of the 1 cell 160 mah batteries now because they are used with UMX Radian also. Doing this again I would try to get the RC even further ahead because the motor and battery are so light. I am working on a Guillow's Cessna 150 conversion with brushless and 2-cell, balance will be different.

Bill Kuhl
Yeah your post was my my main motivation! Glad to hear she's still flying! Unfortunately because of my AR6400 problem I will not be able to use the UM gear, but rather a small brushless setup :L
Aug 07, 2014, 02:12 PM
Registered User
MKellyvich's Avatar
Regarding the flaps, I'm sure you're right. The idea of including them intrigues me, but that kind of daydream modification usually either gets me in trouble or causes me to keep putting off the build while I "figure things out". Probably best to go with ailerons and rudder.


Mike
Aug 07, 2014, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKellyvich
Regarding the flaps, I'm sure you're right. The idea of including them intrigues me, but that kind of daydream modification usually either gets me in trouble or causes me to keep putting off the build while I "figure things out". Probably best to go with ailerons and rudder.


Mike
I can relate. Once tried putting flaps on my minium Cessna 210 and I got so impatient.. let's just say it doubled the weight and burnt the receiver xD If you want you can do it but it will be two linear servos which at that point could be used for ailerons and flaperons if you like. But for this tiny of a build I think you'll be good with tube type ailerons (at least that is what I will be doing). And the straw of a WD40 can works GREAT for insulating the balsa from the wire. Cut to 1 or 1/2 cm pieces and install on the first rib by the servo and the last rib by the ailerons.
Aug 08, 2014, 12:19 AM
Rudders are overrated
The_LeadingEdge's Avatar
Hey Miliroxx,
Sorry to hear about the burnt brick, that would have been an interesting build design to see ...
I'm building through a guillows Cessna 170 right now. I'm going for brushless power and it's up around 105g midway through the covering stage lol ..weight was obviously not a priority for me! But in any case, good luck with the build! I'm excited to see how this one turns out. This may end up being my next project kit!
Aug 08, 2014, 12:58 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LeadingEdge
Hey Miliroxx,
Sorry to hear about the burnt brick, that would have been an interesting build design to see ...
I'm building through a guillows Cessna 170 right now. I'm going for brushless power and it's up around 105g midway through the covering stage lol ..weight was obviously not a priority for me! But in any case, good luck with the build! I'm excited to see how this one turns out. This may end up being my next project kit!
Oh its alright, stuff happens for a reason I guess. Also I took a look at your cessna looks sweet! At AUW 105g she's gonna be a fast flyer. Also the failed chipmunk; remove the canopy and see how it works, seems as if it's so large it is blocking air from the control surfaces. Thanks for the encouragement! Really hoping it'll work out Goodluck to you too if you do build the kit as well, post pics! Quick question tho, did you scallop the former? I was planning on it but didn't know if it was worth the trouble.
Aug 08, 2014, 01:25 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
For now I got the ESC soldered to the C10 motor, and set up the battery plugs for the batteries and ESC; the connections are not as hard to pry apart as the standard JST and weigh less. (I think they are Micro JST) In the pics you can see the two 2.5g servos for rudder and elevator and a stronger (3 or 3.5g) SPEkTRUM servo for the ailerons. Also you can see the micro 260 mAh 2s batteries I'm planning on using (so small!! ). A Lego piece is there for size reference. I also did some research and I think that I'll skip every other rib in the wing mainly because there seems to be so many rib formers for such a simple wing. Also I'm planning on scanning the included decals and printing them right on the tissue to save weight as well as scalloping the formers to give a cleaner flow to the fuselage. Was thinking about pull pull for the elevator and rudder but I've never run the configuration. Anyway just figured to post something to keep peeps interested. More to come when the kit arrives hopefully Monday! Really wishing for a surprise on Saturday because USPS overshoots the delivery date by 2 days :P Happy Flying!

-Mili

P.S. Sorry for poor quality cell phone camera.. will use digital camera on actual build
Aug 08, 2014, 02:32 PM
Rudders are overrated
The_LeadingEdge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miliroxx28
Oh its alright, stuff happens for a reason I guess. Also I took a look at your cessna looks sweet! At AUW 105g she's gonna be a fast flyer. Also the failed chipmunk; remove the canopy and see how it works, seems as if it's so large it is blocking air from the control surfaces. Thanks for the encouragement! Really hoping it'll work out Goodluck to you too if you do build the kit as well, post pics! Quick question tho, did you scallop the former? I was planning on it but didn't know if it was worth the trouble.
Thanks! Means a lot!
Yea, she might be fast, but I think (More like hope ) I'll be able to handle her. And thanks for the advice on the chipmunk. Its beat up pretty badly, but i'm thinking of blowing up the plans to about 150%, maybe ill try it then.

As far as scalloping formers, I myself have never done it. Most of my builds don't always need it, but i'll try it eventually. I also use tissue for covering rather than iron-on, and I generally don't get that starved horse look unless I neglect to tighten the tissue during the covering stage. You can try if you want, and good luck if you do! It should look fine either way

-Andrew
Aug 08, 2014, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LeadingEdge
Thanks! Means a lot!
Yea, she might be fast, but I think (More like hope ) I'll be able to handle her. And thanks for the advice on the chipmunk. Its beat up pretty badly, but i'm thinking of blowing up the plans to about 150%, maybe ill try it then.

As far as scalloping formers, I myself have never done it. Most of my builds don't always need it, but i'll try it eventually. I also use tissue for covering rather than iron-on, and I generally don't get that starved horse look unless I neglect to tighten the tissue during the covering stage. You can try if you want, and good luck if you do! It should look fine either way

-Andrew
I'm sure you got it under control! And about the chipmunk; just keep in mind at 150% you really gotta thin out those side and fuse formers but she'll probs be super strong. Also for the scalloping I mainly wanna try it because I seem to always get the former (usually the one right before or after the landing gear former) that just always seems to throw the covering off completely. Thanks for the luck - ima need it :P
Also if anyone has ideas on hinges; i was thinking if the elevator and rudder are made from 1/8 balsa that I would do the aluminum brackets with the control surfaces having round stock and the actual stabilizer have a concaved mirror image? Possibly card stock besides of aluminium sheet?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools