This thread is privately moderated by CurmudgeonAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 05, 2014, 09:07 PM
Numbly Thumbs Unite!
Thread OP
Discussion

Baby Blender Build Tale - Part 3

I made any number of flights with the “blue wonder” motor and a variety of props from the original 8 x 4 APC up through a 10 x 4.7. Just as Josh says on the Flitetest site, the Baby Blender flies on a BW, but it doesn’t have much penetration in any wind at all. In the end I traded the Blue Wonder out for a Firepower 400 sport I had from a previous build. I tried the 8 x 4 APC prop but settled on a GWS 9 x 5 that is the recommended prop for that motor.

It’s a heavier motor and I was able to move the battery back a bit from the very front of the power pod. That combination seems to work well with this plane.

The biggest problem continued to be that it would not take off or land in grass. As you can see in the video (below), it would take off from asphalt (or even the roof of my van), but not grass. The wheels were just about right at the CG and by the time the tail left the ground on take-off, it just tipped over forward. Finally, I had to move the landing gear off the wing. Mounting it directly in front of the wing shifted enough weight behind the wheels to solve the problem for good. You can see that in the video.

At this point the OB2 is a nice little plane. It has a character all its own. Many of the modifications I’ve seen that make it longer lose that character even if they fly better. I like the look, and that’s what drew me too it in the first place.

Different people want different things out of their planes. I’ve learned to build a new design as close to the way the designer presents it as possible. That’s the best way to have a successful build. Once I get the kinks worked out, I am perfectly willing to modify it to suit my needs or rebuild it using my preferred methods.
To be clear, I like the Flitetest approach, and I’ve learned a great deal by building their planes. Their site has done a great deal for the hobby.

The Flitetest build techniques are great for getting a plane in the air quickly and with a minimum of concerns. Some of the alternatives I’ve presented here like stripping off the original paper and recovering with newsprint or, better yet, coffee filters, will result in a stronger plane with less needed maintenance. It will also extend the life of the plane. But it takes a bit more time and work. It all depends on what you want and there’s room for everyone’s approach.

The Baby Blender is not a good first plane for someone just starting out. Trimming it out properly takes some time, and even on low throws, you have to be alert. It’s also small enough that you can lose orientation in the sky if you fly it too far away from you.

Final equipment:

Firepower 400 sport motor, 1150 KV, 180 watt
GWS 9 x 5 prop
Hurc 18 amp ESC
Orange RX 615 receiver
(3) Hi-Tower 9 gram servos
AUW w/ 3S 1000 mAh battery- 530 grams

OB2 - The Last Word (2 min 46 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2014, 10:11 PM
Registered Maniac
Aw, it's so cute! Look's like it came from a cartoon. Great build.
Aug 06, 2014, 10:13 PM
nice video!! make me laugth!!

I also built a bb but moded to extended version (larger and bigger span), have a look on my blog

Quick Reply