Aug 05, 2014, 02:10 PM
Discussion

GPS tracking to find lost drone?

Does anyone use a small GPS tracker on their drones so that you could find it if it did fly away or crash?

Seems like there has to be some kind of cheap GPS tracking to find a lost drone?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2014, 02:25 PM
Stupidity doesn't fly
define cheap?

http://www.immersionrc.com/product-d...?fpv_product=1
and
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=821

can be used to track GPS logs and see where it went down via your smartphone.
Aug 05, 2014, 02:55 PM
I use a small gps tracker with a common sim inside it.
With it's own battery it can stay alive for at least 8h with the ability to reply via sms with coordinates.
Eventually I can make a real call to it and hear any sound near the tracker via its microphone.
Aug 05, 2014, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperView
I use a small gps tracker with a common sim inside it.
With it's own battery it can stay alive for at least 8h with the ability to reply via sms with coordinates.
Eventually I can make a real call to it and hear any sound near the tracker via its microphone.

What brand do you use ?

I use my old Galaxy Young phone to track my planes if they got lost
With A-GPS I got better result when tracking LIVE. (spot on 1meter usually)
Aug 05, 2014, 03:31 PM
I always thought an APRS tracker wojuld work well for this, they're GPS based. Especially the tiny ones they're using on the high altituted balloon flights as they're so small and light. Personly, I like the RDF beacons. I can tracked them from as far away has15 miles, 3 miles if it's in tall grass and shrubs. Of course, RDFing skill helps too so it does take practise.
Aug 05, 2014, 03:35 PM
I use one like this:

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-A8-Glob...n-p-78582.html
Aug 05, 2014, 05:41 PM
I use a World Tracker Enduro Pro. It is deadly accurate and the battery will last for about 7 days.
Aug 05, 2014, 05:43 PM
If you're lucky the quadcopter will give out smoke signals which was the case of one of my poor poor friends.
Aug 05, 2014, 08:45 PM
The entire concept is contradictory. They fly away because the GPS took a dump so how the heck is the GPS going to be able to locate it when it went to crap to begin with?

Better solution, learn how to set your failsafes, and how to fly manual. If your copter lands when the battery gets too low, GPS fails, loses link with the transmitter, experiences high amp draw, they don't fly to someplace far, far away. They simply land. Technology should be used to augment personal skills, not provide a solution for ignorance and lack of ability.
Dec 05, 2015, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
The entire concept is contradictory. They fly away because the GPS took a dump so how the heck is the GPS going to be able to locate it when it went to crap to begin with?

Better solution, learn how to set your failsafes, and how to fly manual. If your copter lands when the battery gets too low, GPS fails, loses link with the transmitter, experiences high amp draw, they don't fly to someplace far, far away. They simply land. Technology should be used to augment personal skills, not provide a solution for ignorance and lack of ability.
That's ignorant, they are talking about a second gps, it's called redundancy. The second gps is independent of the one on the drone and can be called using a phone to have it text you back it's coodinates.
And you are right about setting your failsafes, but that isn't always the solution. If you fly around water, i think telling the drone to just land when it loses GPS might not be the best
Apr 16, 2016, 05:37 PM

just ordered 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperView
I like that, just ordered 2 of them
Jan 18, 2017, 03:39 PM
I've used this gps tracker a few times and this thing works just fine (phantom 4), especially considering the cheap price. There's a free smartphone app you can use to track the drone and it locates the drone with 3-4 meters proximity.
Jan 18, 2017, 05:12 PM
I use the Marco Polo tracker... No GPS to worry about, or subscriptions. The range is about 2 miles (I've personally only used it out to about 1/2 mile) and the battery life of the beacon is 30 days.

http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-t...-and-recovery/

Not the cheapest, but it works.
Mar 06, 2017, 01:59 AM
got Trackimo's 3G device, although its not the cheapest but in terms on tracking accuracy i would say its one of the best.

Quick Reply