Nov 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
Anyone have one of these yet? I am wondering if the weight of 900g is accurate. The 70mm F16 also claims 900g and weighs 1.75lb without battery...I assume this is the same.

Wondering if this flies as fast out-of-the box as a 4S Habu. If it is 1.75lb, that's 0.5 lb lighter which would be nice if the speed was also the same. It might be great on 5S.
One of my friends bought one and it arrived today. I haven't seen it yet but with a little luck (and decent weather) should have some video of it flying by the end of this weekend.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2014, 12:21 AM
Augermeister
Bill,
That would be great !
Nov 14, 2014, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
One of my friends bought one and it arrived today. I haven't seen it yet but with a little luck (and decent weather) should have some video of it flying by the end of this weekend.
Can you ask him for a weight...flight weight without the battery?
Nov 14, 2014, 05:27 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
Can you ask him for a weight...flight weight without the battery?
Steve is not that kind of builder/pilot as he mostly flies turbines. He bought it on a whim because it's cheaper than a Habu 2 and he wanted a beater to play with.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
Nov 14, 2014, 06:46 AM
Ok - maidened it yesterday with 4s 2650 nano 35c. It is identical to the meteor - it tracks maybe a little better. The flaps help in slowing it down. I added a lot of gorilla to strengthen the meteor's landing gears. This one seem to be OK so far.

I'll give it 1 week and then upgrade it to 14blade with 2200kv 6s (1900wats) on 2650mah 6S (the setup from my meteor). The meteor is about 120~130mph on gps - i'm hoping this will be 150+. 1 issue - the battery bay is much smaller than the meteor. Not much room for adding electronics/gps/gyro/etc. after a 2650mah 6s or a 3300 4s.
Nov 14, 2014, 08:55 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by guldukat
Ok - maidened it yesterday with 4s 2650 nano 35c. It is identical to the meteor - it tracks maybe a little better. The flaps help in slowing it down. I added a lot of gorilla to strengthen the meteor's landing gears. This one seem to be OK so far.

I'll give it 1 week and then upgrade it to 14blade with 2200kv 6s (1900wats) on 2650mah 6S (the setup from my meteor). The meteor is about 120~130mph on gps - i'm hoping this will be 150+. 1 issue - the battery bay is much smaller than the meteor. Not much room for adding electronics/gps/gyro/etc. after a 2650mah 6s or a 3300 4s.
Any guesses on stock speed?
Nov 14, 2014, 03:07 PM

Maiden results

Ok - 4 more flights today. I'd say 60~70ish mph. Maybe 80. This has one efficient motor - 6 min flight with a 2650mah nanotech (i'd say 3/4 throttle most of the time.) - over 7-8 full speed passes. I was wrong about the space - it has space behind the battery - enough to add a gyro and receiver. I'm going to add the upgrade in the next few days. The landing gear is much better with the little coiled springs.

I'd say this is a perfect plane for learning - has all the tools - flaps, landing gear/etc. I have torn apart over 8 stingers in hand launching. I suck at it!
Nov 14, 2014, 03:11 PM
How about an upgrade to a Wemo Evo on 6s ??? Good candidate for some good old fashioned speed ... Those chicken leg struts need some nice trailing link jobs... Cheap Stinger 70.....No bad habits ??? Waiting for the 80mm Scorpion but this looks interesting for a cheap mod...Thrust off 4s satisfactory or 6s a better option ???
Nov 14, 2014, 03:19 PM
Augermeister
kat,

Are you recommending the Rebel over the Meteor ? I have the parts for the kit version in waiting. Although for $20.00 more I can get a PNP Meteor. Flying off grass or pavement? I'm a big fan of FW. Seems to be a notch above Dynam in quality.

Also have the parts for the 80mm F5N kit version when it arrives.

I guess I'll buy both . LOL
Nov 15, 2014, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guldukat

What fan+motor? It's rare that I see a gps speed for a given combo, so this would be a proven combo in that sense.
Nov 15, 2014, 04:30 AM

Rebel II Stock

This is all stock. I like to start things stock - too see if the bird fly's - trim them out and them make mods. Runway is all grass and real bumpy. The gear is strong enough to survive this. The flaps really help in slowing it down. Take off's are also very nice - scale like.

As for the GPS - I have a spare OSD which I use. The speed shows up on a black background as I have no camera on this. The added weight was about 50grams for this GPS unit.

Meteor vs Rebel - definitely the rebel. The wing and stab flex on the rebel is very little compared to the meteor (or maybe I ding'd the meteor's wings too many times on landing).
Nov 15, 2014, 08:11 AM
Augermeister
kat,

Thanks for the update. I'm sold. She's on my" Buy myself a Christmas present " list LOL

Hawk
Nov 15, 2014, 01:18 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Thread OP
Yes, nice update. Looks like I need to order this one.
Nov 15, 2014, 03:26 PM

Flight Report...

Got her in yesterday and promptly removed all the decals and painted her up in the Russian arctic splinter scheme...lol. Wanted to give her a more aggressive look...

Build was easy, bolt elevator, rudder and wing on and make all the wiring connections. Probably take someone maybe a half hour to put her together if you don't mess with painting it...My only real complaint are the flaps. These aren't hinged like the ailerons...the flap hinges are molded into the foam. So you will have an uneven crease through the hinge line on the flaps, in the foam.

Battery size...Just for reference, I used both the Motionrc Admiral 2500 and 3000 mah packs. They fit tight so if your using some other battery, look up the size on the motion website to compare to yours. There might be a little room to carve out a little more room but not much...

CG...The manual lists a CG of 90-100mm. With both my 2500 and 3000 packs, the only way I could even get in that range was to add about 4 ounces of nose weight. There aren't many places to put it so I got creative and carved out part of the bottom of the canopy and stashed it in there...

Maiden...

Takeoff run was about 40-50 yards and she jumped into the air. Once trimmed, she was pretty much on rails. Nice and smooth. On high rates, she has a snappy roll rate. Loops are ok...there isn't a lot of travel on mine in the elevator and I'm going to look into that...But as a "sport" jet, she is a lot of fun. Speed isn't super fast on the stock engine but fine enough for me. I flew mostly at just above half to 3/4 with a few high speed runs. CG seemed spot on...settled on about 95mm for mine...

Landing...give yourself some room...she will float...and float. But she glides right in, even with no throttle. After about a 4 minute flights, I was reading on average, 3.8 on each cell, on the 2500's...So with the sized battery, she is a 4-5 minute bird, with some throttle management...

Overall, she is great, fun sport jet. No, she isn't going to rip up the sky and break the sound barrier...but she is fast enough for most, and good enough to do some advanced maneuvers...

Ended up putting five batteries through her this morning...Taking her back out tomorrow morning for some more fun...
Last edited by aloper; Nov 15, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Nov 15, 2014, 03:44 PM
Augermeister
Aloper,

Great report ! Thanks

Quick Reply