This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 05, 2014, 03:40 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Cool

Grand Wing Servo (GWS) pico Tiger Moth Repairs

Hello good People,

Enjoyed my GWS pico Tiger Moth and I just had to fly it one more time and the only batteries I had left were 2-Cell, 1350mAH, 20C burst Lithium Polymer and did not have the Velcro and decided to fly it with just one rubber band.

I promised myself to take it easy and would you know what happen next, dumb butt decides to show off with some loops and hammer heads and the battery slipped off at one of the loops right in front of us.

I had wished someone would have captured the event on Video as it was so funny watching me PULL UP on the transmitter while the model was completely FREE FLYER. It floated level then, it zoomed upwards as the last command had a significant UP elevator and this caused it to stall and dive straight to the hard concrete surface from 4 feet off the deck.

The only damage was the upper wing root clean ripped off and the Square Motor mount. Nothing else!

A few pictures!

Well, got all repairs complete on my beloved GWS pico Tiger Moth with HIMAX Brushless Motor and Castle Creations Thunderbird 9-AMP Brushless ESC.

Wings, Motor mount stick all glued in placed and aligned.

I was amazed that the rubber bands holding the bottom wing assembly were super brittle and they been on my pico Tiger Moth for over 3 years. The trick on having these rubber bands last is to keep the model indoors under Airconditioning and not the Hot / Humid Garage.

Nevertheless, I took off all old rubber bands and installed fresh ones.

Here are the old:

New Rubber Bands!

EDIT: ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

Back in August 30th, 2008 when I was "guapoman2000" posted the conversion over from IPS gearbox GWS power system over to HIMAX Brushless outrunner and you will see how well this Brushless outrunner turned up.

HIMAX motors are not the cheapest but, they do have quality magnets and bearings and are super quiet and powerful.

Here is the page and look for Post # 7701:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...10805&page=514
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 07, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2014, 03:43 PM
Tree hopper
Now that is one nice looking plane!!
Aug 07, 2014, 03:51 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Thanks Gabe!

Quick Reply