Aug 04, 2014, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Graupner Glasgow

Hi guys,
I just finished building a Graupner Glasgow for a friend and wanted to share.
He has not yet seen it.
This is my first boat, my first scale boat and my first steam powered anything.
My friend purchased the kit, engine, paddle wheels and accessory kit many years ago.
Unfortunately there were a couple of very important parts that were still needed.
I had to supply one of the gear shafts and fabricate a gear for the drive system.
Using the existing gear that was included with the kit and a spare brass center from another Graupner gear (thanks Cornwall), I hand cut the missing gear from fiberglass. Thankfully, it works flawlessly.
While the project as a whole turned out fairly well, I still see all the flaws and mistakes. Perhaps over time I will become less critical of my work.
I have about 250 hours in the build.
I added almost 8lbs of lead to ballast to the waterline. Thankfully the trim did not change from static while she is under steam.
She weighs 13.65lbs.
Thanks,
David
(Going back to sailplanes now...)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2014, 06:37 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Very beautiful, can't wait to see photos of her steaming on a pond. Nice building job, thanks for posting.

I could not tell from your photos: It will be important to open up all windows/portholes/companionways to let the hot air out of the boiler room. Otherwise, your nice paint job (and even the scale details) may be hurt by the retained heat. ABS hulls are prone to warps if they get too hot, also. Once on the water, the water will cool the ABS hull; but steamup will likely start on land, and this is where warps can occur...been there done that.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...r_glasgow.html
Last edited by Brooks; Aug 05, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Aug 05, 2014, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Brooks.
As per the instructions, the only glazed portholes are the ones in the paddle wheel boxes. All of the others are just the frames.
There are also air passages cut through the frame members so that the system can draw air and exhaust heat through the skylight and the fore and aft companionways.
The instructions also prescribe that a heat shield is created and installed immediately over the boiler.
I can tell you that the heat shield is, indeed, functional.
Unless you have the burner set too high, the system seems to breath well and the superstructure and hull do not get too hot.
The brass tube behind the smoke stack is actually the exhaust for the engine and looks very cool when she is underway.

Thanks,
David

Quick Reply