Aug 04, 2014, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Ni hui u207 "intruder"

INTRODUCTION

Recently, a completly new chinese toy compagny announced two more nanoquadcopters among the exponentially growing fast list of such quadcopters: the U107 and the U207. The visible particularity of the U207 "Introduder" is to offer a complete builtin bodyguard protecting both props and electronics. It seems that beginners are aimed with this model.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Ni LUI U207 (with a 5.3g 150mAh 1S LiPo, 20C using a micro-losi connector)
+ 1 x Controler (using 2xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB Charger (using micro-losi plug)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (english/chinese)

OVERVIEW

At first glance, it's hard to categorize the U207 between nanoquadcopter and microquadcopter categories. It's clearly much bigger than the cheerson CX-10 but smaller that the JXD 388 for example. In fact, the bodyguard is huge but in practice it's a nanoquadcopter. Here a comparaison of nanoquadcopters and microquadcopters with the U207

From left to right: Cheerson CX-10, WLtoys V272, JXD 395, Cheerson CX-11, UDI U839, NI HUI U207, WLtoys V252 and the JXD 388

The size of this U207 is 98mmx98cm square with the bodyguard installed

Ground clearance is 13mm so more than a V272 for example

With the bodyguard installed, the weight of the U207 without the LiPo is 17.1g

while is 22.4g with

The battery is a 1S cell LiPo 150mAh rated 20C and scaling 5.3g. Notice that, the connector used a micro-LOSI instead of a mini-JST 1.5mm for the majority of nanoquadcopters

Below, you have the battery bay opened both side welcoming the LiPo

Actually a 180mAh or 200mAh lipo can be inserted without any problems.

By unscrewing only 3 screws, you can remove both the LiPo compartement as well as the top canopy

The canopy standalone is scaling 3.5g

and the battery bay 0.6g

Without the bodyguard, the U207 weight is only 12.9g.

Attached with a rubber band, the quadcopter is scaling 18.4g

The U207 have very bright LEDs so this model can be used for night flying

Propellers are the more wider ones I saw for nanoquadcopters, even wider than UDI U839 ones

They are scaling 0.1g each

and are 40mm long

Motors dimensions are 6mmx15mm instead of 6mmx12mm for most of nanoquadcopter's model. THe same dimension as for the UDI U839.
You can immediatly notice the difference, not only because they give you more power lift but also they are louder compared to the 6mmx12mm type.

They are very well jailed into some large caoutchouc pods

They are also very useful to absorbe landing shocks

Under the top bodyguard canopy, you will find this PCB board as you can find for any nanoquadcopters. The electrics conpounds are classic
On the top layer, the invensense 6050C and a beken 2423 (nRF20L01 compatible) as RF chip. Mosfet are 2312 model

and the antenna is tuned to 31mm

On the bottom surface, as MCU you will find the STM 8S00

The transmitter chassis is bigger than typical nanoquadcopter remote

Two AA batteries are required (Ni-Mh are working)

Sticks are manoeuvrable and it's easy to install some longer ones. Controls are precize. I like much more this controller compared to other awfull tiny models

The daughter RF board is referenced by the "ABE" compagny who designed already a lot of toy quadcopters for example: cheerson, SH and some JXD models,

Unfortunatly, I was not able to bind any known existing protocols, the "SkyWlkr" is not working even if the daughter board is coming from the same compagny. I am strongly suspecting that they changed just the ID of packets data. I captured SPI data for DeviationTX gurus

and first feedbacks are saying that's there are effectively some minor changes from the "SkyWlkr" protocol. So expect soon this protocol be deviated in a future Nightly Build as a new option in the YD717 protocol.

You have 3 series of two trim buttons while the left shoulder is selecting the speed mode between beginner mode (1 beep) and the sport mode (2 beeps). The right shoulder is used to perfom manual flipping. The calibration procedure is classic : Both sticks in lower-left position during 2s. LEDS will flash fast

FIRST USAGE

With bodyguard installed, in indoors conditions, the U207 a very stable quadcopter. The yaw rate is great and the quadcopter is banking very well. The power lift is good. In beginner mode, pitch rate is very slow ... so beginners won't be surprized. In the second speed mode, only pitch and roll pitches are increased (yaw rate remains constant). The quad becomes more agile
but is not moving extremely fast as for example the U839 can be. Resistant to shocks is great... thanks to the bodyguard. Any crashes within 3m high will be absorbed without problems.

I tested after outdoors in windy conditions .... and unfortunatly my first fears were verified. With bodyguard installed, the U207 is slow in forward deplacement even in "expert" mode. The canopy is completly slowing down the quadcopter. Flips are correct but in windy conditions, the quadcopter have problems to stabilize and you can loose control after a serie of flips. This quadcopter is boring for outdoors flights with the bodyguard installed if you are a good pilot. Flight duration is approximatively 4m30 with the bodyguard.

Finally, I removed the canopy for outdoors flights and in this case !!!! Whaaoooh much much better. The power lift is amazing at least as for the U839 but now the quadcopter is moving forward much much more faster (but still slower in FFF than the U839).
That's a good news. So non-beginners should flight without this bodyguard. I noticed that the quadcopcter is moving faster backward than forward.

Associated with the very good power lift (w/o bodyguard), I think this quadcopter is a very good candidate for being transform into a nanoFPV platform. ASAP the protocol will be deviationTXed, I will mod this U297 in this direction.

CONCLUSIONS

The U207 is a nanoquadcopter offering a huge bodyguard and relative slow movements (except the yaw rate) so perfectly adapted for beginners in indoors conditions. The general design is robust to main type of crashes and the transmitter is good and precize for such model size (large hands won't suffer too much).
Unfortunatly, the U207 is not adapted for outdoors flights with the bodyguard installed on. Bodyguard removed, it's another story. Thanks to powerful motors and large props, this U207 can be a nice sportive nanoquadcopter.
Finally, modders would like to transform it into a nanoquadcopter FPV plateform.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESING

NI HUI U207 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Tmart) (13 min 14 sec)

PROS

+ Very stable (6-axis stabilization) and (more) wind resistant with bodyguard removed
+ Robust to thanks to the bodyguard
+ Fast when bodyguard is removed
+ Good yaw rate
+ Strong motors (6mmx15mm)
+ wide props
+ LVC alarm
+ Bright LEDS for night flying
+ Larger TX
+ Good range control
+ Potentially a very good nanoFPV plateform
EDIT 08/05/14
+ DeviationTX compatible (YD717 protocol=>NI HUI option)

CONS

- (Very) slow with bodyguard
- Not wind resistant with bodyguard
- Backward speed faster than forward

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Tmart in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 27.33 USD at
http://www.tmart.com/sl/54328eedabee3
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 10, 2015 at 01:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2014, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods, photos and videos

Oudoors test

NI HUI U207 outdoors test (Courtesy of Tmart) (5 min 55 sec)
Aug 05, 2014, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
I got a first early stage alpha version of the DeviationTX supporting this new protocol variant and it's working So good news, we will be able to flight this quad with our favorite transmitter
Aug 05, 2014, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
First test with DeviationTX

NI HUI U207 first flight controled via DeviationTX (1 min 4 sec)
Aug 05, 2014, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
WHaoooohhhhh I found my favorite nanoquadcopter This U207 canopy off and flew with Devo controller !!!! Just great
Aug 05, 2014, 06:13 PM
What protocol is it on deviation
Aug 06, 2014, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyd463229
What protocol is it on deviation
Net yet available, problably in the next NB release. It's new option in the YD717 protocol. Now you have : YD717, SkyWlkr, Xinxun and NI HUI
Aug 06, 2014, 06:05 AM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Awesome. Great review dude; very thorough!
Aug 06, 2014, 06:07 AM
Thread OP
A new video controled by my Devo7E

NI HUI U207 controled by DeviationTX outdoors test (3 min 30 sec)
Aug 06, 2014, 10:38 AM
I hope the Protocol for cx-10 - devo 7e

dieter
Aug 07, 2014, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter.guenther
I hope the Protocol for cx-10 - devo 7e

dieter
The CX-10 "green" ?
Aug 07, 2014, 06:49 AM
Yes !
Aug 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
This U207 is just incredible

I modded to be a 20.8g nanoFPV plateform !!!!

NI HUI U207 efficient nanoFPV plateform (2 min 31 sec)
Oct 01, 2014, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
This U207 is just incredible

I modded to be a 20.8g nanoFPV plateform !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZXdHILgWrs
CX-10 vs. U207 in the cheap quadcopter range. What is better in your opinion?
Oct 01, 2014, 03:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim
CX-10 vs. U207 in the cheap quadcopter range. What is better in your opinion?
The U207 is more for beginners. Bodyguard is efficient but rather slow forward with bodyguard installed. One positive point, you can swap the battery. The CX-10 is good flyer.... but LiPo can't be removed. For 20 bucks, you can take both.... My god, sometimes we are spending 5x times more to eat in an awful restaurant

Quick Reply