Apr 18, 2004, 12:25 PM
El Queso Grande
Thread OP

PLEASE KILL ACTIVE X on RC Groups.

It went from bad to worse. Now I can't load any page without that stupid warning.

NO, I shouldn't have to switch browsers to eliminate this problem. Active X is turned off on my computer and WILL ALWAYS BE TURNED OFF.

SO quit with the active X scripts.

Others have complained, too. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TURN THEM OFF!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2004, 02:11 PM
RCGroups tech support
Like was said before, we don't use even a bit of ActiveX in R/C Groups HTML code. There's a lot of Javascript and even one Java applet (on a chat page), but that's all. Something else is causing this for you, maybe flash banners? Does your browser show flash at all?
Apr 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
Mike, The flash banners are a problem for me. I have the "uninstall flash player" utility on my desktop, which I often have to use after visiting R/C groups.

Is there a way to block what appears to be an automatic flash player download from R/C Groups? - thanks

- RD
Apr 19, 2004, 08:50 AM
Just curious, but why would you not want a Flash player on your computer?
Apr 19, 2004, 08:53 AM
RCGroups tech support
It is client-side setting, i.e. you should configure your browser to not auto-install it. However, I can't provide further details - I assume you use Internet Explorer, and I simply don't have enough experience with it. Somewhere in Advanced settings, I believe...
Apr 19, 2004, 10:08 AM
In IE's Advanced settings, there are two "install on demand" options: Turn them both off if you don't want things happening without your say so.
Apr 19, 2004, 12:07 PM
Windsurfer,
Sorry to hear of your upset and frustration. There is nothing 'activex' running on RCGroups. I'd like to suggest you try running a product such as "ad-aware 6" or "stinger" to check your machine for mining products that are causing you to see these pop ups when you open certain types of sites.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Fun Manager
RCGroups.com
Apr 19, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thank you Dave!

Sure enough "Enable install on demand (other)" was checked.

Not anymore ...

Re : "Just curious, but why ...?" Just a personal thing - I'm a text guy.

That squirrly stuff running around on the screen gives me a headache and slows my "bare bones" CPU down too much.

- RD

Quick Reply