Aug 02, 2014, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Contest

BBCC5- 5th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest thread

BBCC 5 -- 5th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest Thread

The Goal:
Build yourself a flying model, constructed predominantly of balsa and derived from an existing model, kit or plans, changing your model's "mode of control" from that used by the prototype (i.e. FF, CL, RC) to a different mode. Examples include: FF to RC, CL to RC, RC to FF, etc.

Contest Rules:
1-- take an existing design and change the mode of control. (Can be an original design IF it started life as something else, i.e. FF glider to RC powered plane, etc.)
2-- build it out of balsa, explaining any deviations from the prototype in your thread. Other materials (foam, fiberglass) can be used in a minor, non-structural role.
3-- it's eligible for rollover until first flight
4-- provide proof of flight and you get voted upon

Significant Dates:

Contest Announcement:.....2 August 2014 (Build threads can be started)
Formal Contest Start:..........1 September 2014 (Build threads can be started)
Entries Close:......................30 September 2014 (No entries accepted after this date)
Primary Build period:...........1 September 2014 to 31 January 2015
Contest Ends:......................31 January 2015
------ Aircraft must have proof of flight posted by this date to be considered for judging in BBCC 5
Polling Begins:.....................1 February 2015
Polling Ends:........................28 February 2015
Winner Announced..........1 March 2015

All deadlines are at at the end of the specified day, at midnight UTC.

Judging Criteria:

Best Build – this title will be voted on by RCG members in the month following the Contest End. The Contest Director will create a separate thread containing a poll and links to each thread to facilitate the voting.
A flight must have been attempted and proof shown by picture or video. If the flight was unsuccessful, explain why. More brownie points are given for successful maiden flights, however.

Prizes:

1. A brand new plane for each contestant, the work of your own hands.
2. Satisfaction in your efforts.
3. Recognition by your peers.

(New prizes may be donated and will be added accordingly).

How to participate:

1. Decide your subject. (More than one subject can be entered, within reason).
2. Announce your subject and intention to participate in this thread.
3. The contest director will add your information to the list of participants, on this thread at the end of the entry period.
4. Create (or rename) a Build Thread for your subject. Name the thread in conformance with the following standard: BBCC 5 – YourSubjectName – YourUserName. In post #1, mention your involvement in the “5th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest” and provide a link to this thread.
5. Post a link to your Build Thread in this forum as a reply.
6. Build your subject, using your build thread to document your progress with comments and photos, asking for help when needed.
7. Document your subject’s first flight with a video or still photograph, posting the proof on your build thread and announcing the flight in this thread.
8. Enjoy the plaudits of your colleagues and the thrill of flying your creation.

Note about rollovers:

If you have a project from BBCC4 which you would like to have rolled over into BBCC5, this will be allowed as long as it hasn't flown yet. Please put a note as such in this contest thread so you can be added, along with any new entries.

Other notes:

BBCC4 attempted to separate the rollovers from the 1st generation builds, because those that attempt to meet the 6 month contest timeframe have felt in the past that competing with a 2+ year museum piece was less than fair. However, this failed because all but one rollover dropped out, so he won his category by default, failing the goal of this contest. He was put in with the other 3 completed entries instead.
Therefore, whether or not this contest will split rollovers from single generation projects will depend entirely on if this becomes a problem. For now, I am reverting back to a single winner. We will revisit this if there is a problem, but I don't foresee it.

May the contest begin!
Please announce your flying machines in this thread...

ANNOUNCEMENT:

There has been a very generous donation to the winner of BBCC5.
Charlie from Manzano Laser Works has been generous enough to donate one of the following kits, of the winner's choice.
However, and this is important...Please keep in mind that if international shipping is required, the winner will have to pay for the shipping. Sorry to impose this, but shipping can be pricey, over the pond.

So for the first place winner, you can either get Manzano's 45" Pietenpol Air Camper, or one of the following instead:

Martin MO-1, 30”: American early monoplane, general purpose plane
Fokker DVIII, 30”: German late WWI monoplane fighter
Sopwith Strutter, 27”: British WWI biplane scout
Eindekker EIII, 30”: German early WWI monoplane fighter
Hergt Monoplane, 30”: German WWI scout
Caproni-Pensutti, 18”: Early flying triplane
Farman Sport, 24”: Post WWI civil sport plane
Nieuport IV, 30”: One of the Nieuport racing planes
Bristol Scout, 27”: British WWI biplane scout
Sopwith Camel, 27”: WWI British Fighter
Nieuport 11, 25”: WWI French Fighter
Sopwith Swallow/Scooter, 30”: Post WWI Scout monoplane
WACO SRE, 29”: Golden Age cabin biplane
RAF SE-5A, 29”: British WWI fighter
Pfalz EI, 30”: Early WWI German Scout
Morane Saulnier L (Pfalz A.I/EIII), 30”: Early WWI Scout
Farman Moustique F-450, 30”: (early homebuilt)
Fokker F.II, 30”: Post WWI civil
*Ettrich Taube, 30”: Early WWI German Scout
*Morane Saulnier Racer, 30”: Early civil racing plane
Bristol Fighter F2B “Brisfit”, 28”: Late WWI fighter

The second place winner, was going to receive a set of plans of his/her choice from Carstens Plan Service, purchased and donated by me, until Carstens closed for business recently. Therefore, Andy Kuntz has stepped forward to donate a set of plans for either his Neo pattern plane for park flying or his Shrike, also for park flying. Both planes were featured in Flying Models magazine and both fly impressively well. So thank you Andy!
The runner up now has a prize as well!!!

Official Entries, as of October 1, 2014.
(No further entries allowed after this date, sorry...)

In order of entry:
1. Miles M5 Sparrowhawk by dmarusa
2. FF Fox Moth to RC by Zephyr41
3. 55" Fane AOP by Old_Pilot
4. 55 Special by davidterrell80
5. Westland Lysander FF to RC by ckimmey
6. T-38 Control line to RC by xp533d
7. Guillows 172 Skyhawk by JohnAV8R
8. Smith Miniplane CL to RC by Lnagel
9. Curtiss XP55 Ascender glider to RC by builderdude
10. X-15A-2 by Jim_the_Sane
11. Dumas P-26 Peashooter to electric RC by CF105
12. Arrowhead-based "Baby Gryphon" flying wing for RC conversion by builderdude
13. Another 55 Special by Old_Pilot
14. A 1/12 Pou du ciel (Flying flea) by Panoramix
15. Mara RC Conversion by KNS
16. Jetex F4 Phantom by Dpetsel
17. Westland Lysander 36" Easy Built Kit FF-RC Conversion by victapilot
18. 30" Dumas FF B-25 by Pat Tritle
19. P-80A to EDF by Jim_the_Sane
20. Freeflight flying wing to RC conversion by scatalogical
21. Sterling Kit S-23 Hornet 18" to 36" wingspan CL to FF by GallopingGhostlr
22. Berkeley Impulse Escapement 1 channel to full RC by GallopingGhostlr
23. Dumas SBC3 Helldiver by scatalogical

Please contact me if I've either missed an entry, or missed the build thread link.
Not all of you have started your build threads, but because you entered on-time, I've included it.
Please post your build thread links as soon as you have them.
Last edited by builderdude; Oct 06, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2014, 12:07 PM
David
My entry will be a Miles M5 Sparrowhawk. The original design was a FF model from the Januay 1971 Aeromodeler. The plans call for a 36" wingspan, but I will be scaling it up to 48" to accommodate an O.S. fs-20.

Link to build log: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2218700
Last edited by dmarusa; Aug 05, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Aug 02, 2014, 01:18 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Subscribed. I'm still deciding my entry; whether to plans build or kit bash. I'm going to go fondle my kit collection one more time before deciding.
Aug 02, 2014, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
After that Vampire jet, I need to step down a few notches, because that consumed my life for 9 months and cost way more than I intended. Therefore...

My project is a profile-style Curtiss XP-55 Ascender. It is a canard plane with a pusher motor, and will have landing gear. It is converted from a FF balsa glider that I made some years back to test the CG on an airframe like that. I scaled it up to about 1.5 times, but kept all the dimension ratios the same. This plane will be a 4 channel...motor, canard, ailerons and nose wheel. The nose wheel gets the rudder servo, but I don't want to deal with twin rudders again.

I will start the build thread and then link it. I'm not planning to begin construction until after I get back from Wisconsin in Mid-August.
Aug 02, 2014, 11:10 PM
Can I roll over my BBCC3 entry?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=fox+moth

At the rate it's going I will possibly finish it for BBCC10!
Aug 02, 2014, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
As long as you haven't flown it, yes.
Aug 03, 2014, 10:01 AM
I would like to participate, however, a maiden flight in the midwest in Dec or Jan might be a little optimistic. I may have to build one with skis.
I will peruse my files of ff and CL plans from Outerzone to make a final decision. I already know I have a O.S. .42 waiting for an airframe.
Aug 03, 2014, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
After that Vampire jet, I need to step down a few notches, because that consumed my life for 9 months and cost way more than I intended. Therefore...

My project is a profile-style Curtiss XP-55 Ascender. It is a canard plane with a pusher motor, and will have landing gear. It is converted from a FF balsa glider that I made some years back to test the CG on an airframe like that. I scaled it up to about 1.5 times, but kept all the dimension ratios the same. This plane will be a 4 channel...motor, canard, ailerons and nose wheel. The nose wheel gets the rudder servo, but I don't want to deal with twin rudders again.

I will start the build thread and then link it. I'm not planning to begin construction until after I get back from Wisconsin in Mid-August.
While surfing around today i saw your thread regarding the XP-55 you talk about here. What ever became of it anyways?
Aug 03, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes221
While surfing around today i saw your thread regarding the XP-55 you talk about here. What ever became of it anyways?
That turned out absolutely beautiful, but heavy. It would require a 22 mph speed to take off, and without nose wheel steering, that's pretty fast. I've still got it, but I hung it up for semi-permanent static display and decided to try again, but lighter...which is the subject of the BBCC5 build.

I would like to open the original P-55 back up again and do a few things differently. I'll probably end up rebuilding the entire fuselage and doing it like I did the Vampire. Then it might see some blue sky action. Because I anticipate it will be a lot lighter if I do.
Aug 03, 2014, 05:11 PM
Well im sure it (/both) will turn out great. I would love to build one, though probably not for this contest, at least not this time around. I would like to enter but im not sure what yet. Still deciding
Aug 03, 2014, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes221
Well im sure it (/both) will turn out great. I would love to build one, though probably not for this contest, at least not this time around. I would like to enter but im not sure what yet. Still deciding
After my prototype is built to test out the accuracy of the plans, I am willing to share, just for the cost of shipping and printing a copy. So keep in touch if you're interested.
Aug 04, 2014, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
(Contents of this post have been edited to be included on Post #1)
Last edited by builderdude; Aug 04, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
Aug 04, 2014, 02:06 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus

BBCC 5 - 55" Fane AOP - Old_Pilot

I'm in....My choice of conversions will be the Fane AOP, a one-off 1940's British Air Observation Post. I built a 28" free flight foamy about a month or so ago. There's a build log and proof of flight for her found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post28823311. I won't post to this thread during the contest.

My BBCC 5 contest build log is: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post29091784
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Aug 04, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Aug 04, 2014, 02:11 PM

Prizes

I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank Charlie Bice of Manzano Laser for his generous donation of a Peter Rake kit as first prize for this contest. I'd also like to pre-thank him for all the advice he'll give me while I struggle through trying to build this little girl and make her fly......

Charlie B......see what you've started !.....looking forward to this...Note: she doesn't have spoked wheels ! LOL
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Aug 05, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Aug 04, 2014, 02:28 PM

Mode of control

OK....does "human" pilot control to RC meet the criteria ? If it does, it opens up a whole 'nother world of "conversion" aircraft.......just a thought
Latest blog entry: Two New Birds

Quick Reply