Atlanta Hobby Partners with FLIR Systems Inc.

Bringing thermal imaging to the skys

Splash

Add a FLIR Camera to Your Multirotor

Atlanta Hobby recently announced a partnership with FLIR Systems Inc. The Tau 2 Infrared Cameras from FLIR Systems are small and light enough to be used on multirotors so it's only natural that Atlanta Hobby team up with them to provide a complete aerial thermal imaging package. These affordable units can run as low as $5000 compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars for other systems. This is a huge win for Search and Rescue efforts and emergency response teams.

See the Tau 2 Infrared Cameras at Atlanta Hobby

Aug 01, 2014, 09:19 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Very cool!
Aug 01, 2014, 01:51 PM
awesome !
Aug 01, 2014, 02:32 PM
Ars longa, vita brevis
For those unfamiliar, Roswell Flight Test Crew did a 3 camera comparison of the Tau 2 a while ago. There are MANY more options, but this gives you an idea of what you'll get for the $$$ spent:

FPV FLIR Tau2 Thermal Camera Comparison, Detection Range and Flight Testing (10 min 11 sec)
Aug 01, 2014, 02:35 PM
Very cool, indeed. I've been waiting for FLIR to get light enough and affordable enough to justify quad-use. I'd like to put one to use in some wildlife management projects - i.e. finding out where the critters on our property like to live. Cheap FLIR would be a real game-changer for outdoor living and hunting of all sorts for properties large as well as small. Very cool. I'll have to ride up to that end of creation to see what y'all are up to ...

... I think the last time I made it up there was ... wow ... could it have been 20 years ago?!?!?
Aug 01, 2014, 07:19 PM
Is that FLIR just bolted to the quad? No tilt?
Aug 01, 2014, 07:45 PM
Start adding gimbals and the price soars. Interestingly, the Tau 2 was selling for more than a grand less from Flir about a month ago.
Aug 02, 2014, 05:16 AM
Why would the price soar if adding a 1-2 axis gimbal? There are numerous places within the market that sell a working gimbal alternative for less than 200-300 dollars (retail)? I personally would be more than willing to pay that additional cost for a premium outcome/solution. Wouldn't you?
Aug 02, 2014, 08:59 PM
Figure if the price of this rig jumped the moment the term "hobby" was attached to it just how much more will the price of a gimbal made to fit be?
Aug 03, 2014, 03:07 AM
Gaftopher
There are ITAR issues to consider for some countries.
Aug 03, 2014, 03:22 PM
obey gravity, it's the law
The prices are listed as $1600 to $2700 or right around there. In the article you mention a system for around $5000.
What else is needed to use one of these?

Thanks
Aug 03, 2014, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Start adding gimbals and the price soars. Interestingly, the Tau 2 was selling for more than a grand less from Flir about a month ago.
I haven't seen the Tau 2 prices change since I first started eyeballing these things almost a year ago
Aug 03, 2014, 05:01 PM
If you buy from Flir they haven't.
Aug 04, 2014, 10:15 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying glass
The prices are listed as $1600 to $2700 or right around there. In the article you mention a system for around $5000.
What else is needed to use one of these?

Thanks
That's just for the camera. We're talking about a complete aerial imaging system, so the other items needed would include a quad copter, video downlink, display, batteries, charger, etc.
Aug 07, 2014, 09:46 AM

short FLIR review for FPV

I visited local FLIR today in order to review forward looking infrared for FPV
FLIR review august 2014 for FPV (1 min 6 sec)

Quick Reply