Jun 24, 2018, 06:46 PM
Hey Guys. Sorry for ressurecting an old thread but i've began my conversion.

I've printed the 3d files on the objet at work and they look great. I've also machined the motor plate drawn out. Motors are on order along with hardware and shaft/coupling material.

I've read this thread a couple times and I'm wondering if you guys have any new tips you've come across or any advice of any kind.

Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2018, 07:33 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Glad to see it.

The guys over in the Jet Drive Boats forum room would love to see this. I suggest you start a new dedicated build thread over there. They'll have the tips you seek.

Jet Drive Boats
https://www.rcgroups.com/jet-drive-boats-1004/
Jun 25, 2018, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant
I've just started to work on both the jet drive and the drop-in brushless conversion for the Impulse 9 and Blackjack 9. I'll be posting updates on them as they progress. One thing is for sure, it takes a lot of patience to do it right.

Currently, all my parts have been:
1. Aggressively cleaned with a stiff nylon brush & pipe cleaners
2. Lightly sanded & covered in low viscosity West Systems epoxy resin
3. Smoothed a little with fine sanding.

I started the resin process with an acid brush, but ended up using nitrile gloves to evenly cover most spots with my hands. Then, some paper towels were used to blot off excess resin. By far, the most important tool was a thin "L" shaped piano wire used to re-open all the little holes and whisk away excess resin. A clean/new pipe cleaner was also used to re-open the larger holes and remove excess resin. In truth, it took 1.5 coats to get the result I was after. Be gentile with the parts at this stage as 3D Printed parts of this scale are a little delicate prior to the resin curing. After a little over a day, they will be strong enough for more aggressive sanding/polishing.
Very interested in this, I've just started looking into building a jet boat in the 8" size range, but this is perfect!
Jun 25, 2018, 02:14 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
I'm still half way on mine. One thing I forgot to add is that my parts were printed via Shapeways in nylon and a few of the impellers had some delimitation and needed to be reglued with the resin. I haven't touch it since but will be looking to do it this summer.

BTW: A Jetjam just happened to arrive a few months ago and it's been great fun as a beginner Jetdrive boat and there are few people doing brushless upgrades to it already

Fair Waters,
-8th
Jul 14, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Glad to see it.

The guys over in the Jet Drive Boats forum room would love to see this. I suggest you start a new dedicated build thread over there. They'll have the tips you seek.

Jet Drive Boats
https://www.rcgroups.com/jet-drive-boats-1004/
Finally got around to posting a thread. Check it out here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d#post39936687
Apr 26, 2019, 09:49 AM

Pro boat impulse 9 and blackjack 9

Hello, anybody know the size of the size of the tiny grub screw that holds the drive dog in place on these tiny boats?.

Quick Reply