Mini DVR for FPV with 2.5 TFT LCD

Here is a handy DVR to use during FPV flights.

The Mini DVR is a great way to record your FPV flights.

High-res D1 Video Audio Mini DVR for FPV with 2.5 TFT LCD

After getting into FPV flight I realized I needed a DVR. While you're in the air and looking at your screen, or in your googles, you need something reliable and easy to use. The Suveilzone mini DVR was exactly what I was looking for. It retails around $106. The size is perfect for slipping into your pocket but the 2.5" screen is a tad small for me. I really like that it records to an SD card. I'm usually recording onboard video with a GoPro or other cam. I like that my DVR can record my actual signal and OSD info. I had zero issues with the unit and it was very easy to use. I also liked that I can charge it through a USB cable.

Suveilzone.com Mini DVR for FPV - RCGroups (8 min 57 sec)

Photos

Pros:

• Small size
  • High-resolution D1 record video (PAL: 720x576(D1)/25FPS, NTSC: 720x480(D1)/30FPS)
  • Inbuilt 3.7V 1000 mAH chargeable Li-ion battery
  • Supports a 32G SD card

Cons

• While I like that the unit is small, the small screen is almost too small.

Specs

• Video Format MPEG4
  • File Container AVI
  • Bitrate (high) 7000Kb/s*
  • Photo Format JPG
  • High Resolution LCD 2.5" TFT true color LCD
  • Audio and Video Output RCA 3-in-1 AV output (for playback of recordings or live pass-through)
  • Storage Type SD card up to 32GB, Class 10 recommended
  • Video Standards PAL: 720x576(D1)/25FPS, NTSC: 720x480(D1)/30FPS
  • One AV cable includes power supply for external camera or device Voltage: 5V max
  • Current 400 mA max
  • Video Format NTSC/PAL
  • Multi record mode Manual/Auto
  • Manual/Auto internal MIC for recording voice overlay
  • Computer Transfer USB2.0
  • Recording Time 1minute~2.5 hours /1G
  • Power Consumption 200mA, 3.7V 1000 mAH chargeable Li-ion battery
  • Size 79 mm x 51 mm x22 mm
  • Weight 85g (including battery)
  • 1X DVR
  • 1X 3.7v 1000mAh Lithium Battery
  • 1X Soft Carrying Case
  • 1X 2 AV in/Out cables one with a +5v barrel connector supplied from the DVR's internal power
  • 1X "Quick Record" Remote Switch
  • 1X Power adapter
  • 1X USB Cable (New feature beginning August 2013, the DVR can also be charged through the USB cable!)
  • IR Remote Control

Click here to download detailed instructions for this unit. Click here to learn more about this product.

Learn more about this unit here.

Sep 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
This is a classic mini DVR, of amazing video record, which has been selling very well.

Thanks Jim
Last edited by davidsz; Sep 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM.
Sep 10, 2014, 11:19 AM
X-Hover Team Pilot
question...will this play gopro files ( .MP4) directly from an sd card pulled from a Gopro? Could someone test this out and see if it recognizes that format? Thanks!
Sep 10, 2014, 11:32 AM
Admin Deluxe
I'm not having any luck with that but I'm curious to see findings from others.
Update - looks like it only plays AVI files.
Sep 19, 2014, 08:35 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Hey,
Most of our crowd uses this same DVR.
We really like the open MIC feature where you can hear what everyone is saying on the ground instead of what is being sent back from the plane.

I designed and built a few of these DVR boxes to have a place on my ground station to put the DVR (I kept dropping it) The big round hole slides onto my ground station mast. Soon to be a build thread.

I have heard of people actually saving their quad by flying from this little screen when the Goggles failed.

The battery messed up (my fault) on mine so I made the box to accomodate the DC adapter plug. I use a 2S lipo with a 5V regulator to get proper Voltage.

Also I am linking a video done by my buddy Ho-Jazz using the open Mic feature.
(we airport hopped from 1 airport to the other. Permission was obtained from both airports. This was done with my Wing. I'm at the receieving end. We are comunicating on Speakerphone)

http://youtu.be/D36u9NIToBQ?list=UU7...WAF_m3-9H1oKOQ
Sep 19, 2014, 09:08 AM
Admin Deluxe
Very cool!
Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 AM
X-Hover Team Pilot
nice I like the open mic feature. this is practically a gopro with the lcd backpack and without the camera lol
Sep 22, 2014, 03:15 PM
Wallop!
What about firmware?
Is this recorder compatible with Foxtech DV02 firmware and BevRC PV700 firmware?

Thanks,
Martin
Oct 03, 2014, 08:50 AM
So I built one of these boxes for my buddy TextTripp and he proceded to skunk me with the paint job idea... Well Played buddy
Oct 05, 2014, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
So I built one of these boxes for my buddy TextTripp and he proceded to skunk me with the paint job idea... Well Played buddy
Thanks Mark for the thumbs up.

This DVR box works great. It keeps it out of the sun, makes the LCD much more viewable and keeps it from getting knocked around.

It works great with my ground station.
Oct 05, 2014, 08:32 AM
Without this DVR I would of never found my lost wing! The OSD info was recorded right to the crash site. 2003' from point of boot up.
Due East..... and landed flat in the top of dense forest.
Nov 08, 2014, 04:57 PM
Wallop!
Recently I've purchased this recorder and I love it. However there are a couple of minor issues:
- The 'overwrite' mode doesn't work. The icon on screen always shows not to overwrite. Setting overwrite on or off doesn't make any difference.
- The vibration alarm doesn't work, though the icon on screen reflects the configured setting.

Other than that, it does the job well. 'Power Save' feature isn't very smart; it powers off even if it is recording. I'd expect to power off only if it is idle for x minutes.

Martin
Apr 17, 2015, 10:03 AM
Old review I know, but I wonder what kind of audio this can record, stereo? Would it be possible to record audio from both the airplane and the ground simultaneously? What is the "open MIC feature"? Does it come with an inbuilt mic?
May 17, 2015, 12:28 AM
Recently I've purchased this recorder . I use it with BLADE nano qx FPV. There are couple of probrem. During recording the image of the goggles, sometimes, video will be black out.
SD card is the latest specs.(32GB SDHC class10 Transcend)
May 17, 2015, 03:49 AM
Wallop!
That's caused by a dirty/bad connector. Mine has it too. You shouldn't use video out while flying because then the DVR becomes a single point of failure. Even with a good connector you don't want to risk a crash when the battery dies or when the recording freezes by whatever reason.

Martin

Quick Reply