Jul 30, 2014, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kyosho salute (help)

Hey guys, first time posting on forums. Well I want to start by saying I just picked up a vintage Kyosho salute (same chassis as the optima, but ugly body) in the blue box. Yes it is built, condition on chassis is about a 8.5/9 out of 10. Body is mint and unpainted (body, wing & driver) all are a bit dusty but that's nothing. I was just wondering if anyone knows the value of it (blue box model). I paid $200.00 any one think I over paid? Or was I to good deal?

Thanks guys
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2014, 01:05 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Considering it's in very good condition according to the grade you gave it, and the mint body, if original, and you also appear to have the original box with it, I think it's a good deal. Not a bargain, but certainly not bad. Please post some pics, as there are more vintage "junkies" like me here, that would love to see how your car looks.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 30, 2014, 01:41 PM
Suspended Account
over paid..by $50 atleast..sorry those go for alot less in 10/10 condition .. but its all in the eyes of the buyer...I have a few vintage models myself but most are mine from the day in early 80's..and the rest garage sale finds and garbage finds....I have a buddy works at a recycling center anything rc he brings it to me.. sometimes a truckload other times motor brushes LOL..all good and free..well beer cost LOL..I brew my own.. my fav MINDWIPER 22% alcohol..
Jul 30, 2014, 02:11 PM
Seems in the US everything is much cheaper, here an Optima Mid goes for about 100 euro (about 134 USD) with a used body with some cracks, and no box. The Salute is older, harder to find than the Mid, and in this case has some extras like the box, manual perhaps, and the unpainted body and driver. That body alone would probably be listed for 50 USD or so.
Jul 30, 2014, 02:30 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Oh man, I had an Optima Mid back in the 80s... what a great car. I'll never forget how crushed I was on the 2nd run, I realized that the little cover you stick on the lower chassis plate to cover the belt was, um, kind of important when the sand the belt dragged into the rear gearbox for the past two (and only) runs completely and totally stripped the internal gears. I had to wait for parts. I was so upset! But lesson learned!

Maybe that was the Turbo Optima Mid SE?
Jul 30, 2014, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
Here solo.. Ebay #301042147111
this should be in the look at what I found page.. totally nuts at $1375.00
Jul 30, 2014, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
Oh man, I had an Optima Mid back in the 80s... what a great car. I'll never forget how crushed I was on the 2nd run, I realized that the little cover you stick on the lower chassis plate to cover the belt was, um, kind of important when the sand the belt dragged into the rear gearbox for the past two (and only) runs completely and totally stripped the internal gears. I had to wait for parts. I was so upset! But lesson learned!

Maybe that was the Turbo Optima Mid SE?
Yeah, only weak point, applies to most cars, keep the dirt from the transmission. The car I mentioned was just a "vanilla" Mid, so the version with the alu chassis plate, not u-joints, no stabilizers, etc. The first Mid I bought after my renewed interest in vintage cars, was even more expensive, as it was also 100 euro, but needed a new rear diff and center idler gear, as well as a top deck. The Mid I was referring to, was in ready to run condition, although I did replace the electronics except the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann
Here solo.. Ebay #301042147111
this should be in the look at what I found page.. totally nuts at $1375.00
Some ask insane prices, hoping some rich guy who wants to get this car gives whatever he asks. Since I already have a few cars, I would probably not pay 200 USD for a car, but if I was just starting, who knows. Also, if it's really in very good condition, it might in the end be cheaper than getting a car in worse condition, and having to order some parts here and there to make it complete, then add all the amounts and find out you paid more than 200 USD. To get that incomplete Mid running, I am sure I spent over 200 because of the diff and other parts that needed to be replaced.
Jul 30, 2014, 05:55 PM
Thread OP

Pictures

That's the salute
Jul 30, 2014, 06:06 PM
Nice. Basically a Turbo Optima, so full option, golden shocks, stablizers and the alu bottom protection plate, that the stock Optima lacks. Bottom looks almost like new, and the motor even has the rubber protection sleeve still installed. If someone can get me this car with these extras and in this condition for 150, shoot me a pm right away.
Jul 30, 2014, 06:41 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
I'd say you did VERY well considering you got the box and all the lexan is still unpainted. In auction on ebay I'd guess that this would fetch $400-$500 and possibly a little more. Empty boxes alone can go anywhere from $50-$100 when in good condition.
Latest blog entry: Nano Ripper Ductless "Whoop"
Jul 30, 2014, 08:16 PM
Thread OP

Kyosho salute

Thanks, I also have three optimas all different though
Jul 30, 2014, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Optimas

Here they are.
Jul 30, 2014, 08:24 PM
Thread OP

My others

I love vintage Kyosho. Anyone who's got any and is looking to get rid of please let me know.
Last edited by Migliz6; Jul 30, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Jul 30, 2014, 08:39 PM
Suspended Account
no digits migliz..
Jul 30, 2014, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Just wondering why no digits?

Quick Reply