Apr 17, 2004, 09:18 AM
Thread OP

Need some input on how to mod this design

I found an old magazine that has a plan for the DH Rapide. It was originally a 36 inch control line model for two .049 motors. The model's wings are 1/4 sheet wings similar to Nigel Hawes Tucano and Hawk wings. Thought I would post some pics to see if anyone had any ideas on modifications before I start. I am thinking of two 280 motors direct.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2004, 02:56 AM

conversion

Thought I would post some pics to see if anyone had any ideas on modifications before I start. I am thinking of two 280 motors direct.[/QUOTE]

Hi, your fist thing to decide is how you are going to steer it. With zero diehedral, you need 'ailerons' which need to have a servo fitted somewhere.
Best thing is to overestimate the wing area and make it that bit larger seeing as it will have to fly fast get the lift (all of Nige's planes go like hell) to stay airbourne. As long as you can install very lightweight radio gear, you will have a chance (3 lip's for flight batteries). cheers Robin Andrew, Birmingham, England.
Apr 18, 2004, 03:14 AM
Dizzying Heights
I would recommend that you put some kind of airfoil into the design, it is a scale model an you dont really want it to go like a bat out of hell do you?
Apr 18, 2004, 06:21 PM
Go get them Meg!
IMHO, you might be better off starting with a FF plan uless you really want a very fast airplane. There was a wonderful FF Dragon Rapide plan a few years back in one of the magazines. Much better suited to R/C conversion, from my experiences with such things.

Quick Reply