This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 27, 2014, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

death of feshmeat.net

Surprised to find feshmeat.net/freecode.com was shut down. Just like the fever that accompanied the initial start of Gimp & GTK, another piece of the golden age has passed. It was 1 of many bought by VA Linux during that golden age. It & all the other VA Linux assets were eventually bought by dice, "specialized websites for select professional communities". If you got a project on it before it was shut down, you're now immortal.

They claimed a loss of traffic. There's definitely a loss of interest in source code level, freely downloadable PC software. A new generation that would have followed the GPL path has gone to paid mobile apps instead, while the generation that started freshmeat.net has moved on to middle management & families.

The itunes/play system that Apple started was such a revolutionary way of automating software releases & getting paid, there was no way everyone was going to keep going GPL, even on the merits of free source code "benefiting the community". No-one in 1999 thought the evil commercial software industry would find a way to lure developers back out of open source, but convenience & ease of getting paid ended up being the factors that did it.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2014, 06:55 PM
I don't think you are right about this. I think the main reason why sites like freshmeat are a blast from the past has nothing to do with cellphone apps. It has to do with the fact that apt search on Ubuntu is so easy. Googling a program is easier than searching a dedicated software list website. I did not post any of the software I developed on freshmeat since at least a decade. And I did not use that website to find software for even longer than that.

I don't think it is loosing against closed source apps, it just is not needed any more. Google search engine, github and apt repositories made it obsolete.

Cheers,
Esden

Quick Reply