Nov 08, 2020, 12:59 PM
I shared your post over at http://spadworld.net/forum/index.php
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2020, 08:19 PM
Corodust..... Will it fly? Hope to find out tomorrow
Nov 23, 2020, 12:14 AM
It will definitely fly, the question is for how long. :-)
Nov 23, 2020, 12:30 PM
Well it didnt. I need to make the spine and engine mount one piece, or a lot more solid. Even with 3/4 throttle it didnt launch worth a sh*t. Back to the drawing board...
Nov 30, 2020, 08:31 PM
Here's the BullDawg plan from SPADdawgs, old group, It's basically what you're flying. They used a PVC fuse. You might try using aluminum C channel from the big box store and put a cutting board engine mount into it if you have no access to the PVC fuse OR just fold a fuse, stiffin the nose with bbq skewers in the flute and put a firewall (cutting board or hardwood (I like using pallet wood cut to shape and fuel proofed with thinned epoxy.)) That should stiffin the wing to engine pod up for ya. The BullDawg used to pieces of 4 mil glued 90 degrees and then cut to shape. I found it easier just to screw the tip plates on instead of folding them up as in the rough pdf plans. Later I put the wing on top with a single fin so that I could hold the fuse from underneath, called it the TopDawg. Using the Bulldawg setup I put a rocket pod in the tail end using D engines, never tried and E from estes. But D's sure put a bump in the butt on launch. Wish I had video.
Dec 01, 2020, 12:04 PM
Thanks Clean. Yes I did build it from the bulldog plans, it has same ws, sweep, cg. I went super simple PBF style with the center spine and single 4mm wing. Stiffened the TE and cg area with music wire. It came out with no potato chip warpage. It does have a cutting board mount to pine spine. My next attempt will be a hardwood engine mount glued to the spine with a reinforcement 1/16" dollar store ply plate to solidfy the joint.
I wanted to run a 46fx and I have a few but it was way too heavy on the nose, so it has a 40la. I think without that 2nd layer of coro for a wing made it too light on the rear. As it sits its 2.8 lbs
Did you launch with full throttle? I figured 3/4 would have sufficed like my pbf.
cheers
Dec 01, 2020, 10:29 PM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
Back when I had a BullDawg, I always launched it a full power. I would hold the fuse in left hand, right hand was holding transmitter, with my thumb down on the gimbal so that I could hold a touch of up elevator on launch. Worked like a charm every time.

I seriously need to build another BullDawg, I miss flying it.

Quick Reply