Jun 12, 2019, 09:25 PM
Nice model Web! I do prefer the motor over the soft piano, funny at the end. Its odd that this thread should pick up today since I flew this.....
Name: 20190612_220700.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 5.01 MB
Description:
...today. It was the second series of flights on it with the maiden being over a month ago. This was with an 8x4 on an os 10 fp. The first flight was a 7x4 and way underpowered. Today was better but not great, I do have an OS 15 LA waiting to try next. Its what the plans call for but I wanted to see what the 10 could do. The motor mount will need to be modded and extended for the 15 to get better balance with less ballast. This is my version of the SPAD Gnat. I'm going to use it as a sport plane hence the landing gear. I must say it is really easy to fly even with the lack of power. Just plodding around even in some wind it is stable and controllable. Ground handling is awesome (at this point its as good a car as plane) I think the 15 should do good if not I'll find a 25 or something.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 10:39 PM
This one and one of mine done with correx he has a very quiet very good flight too
Jun 12, 2019, 10:47 PM
glider pilot in training
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10
Nice model Web! I do prefer the motor over the soft piano, funny at the end. Its odd that this thread should pick up today since I flew this.....
Attachment 12187277
...today. It was the second series of flights on it with the maiden being over a month ago. This was with an 8x4 on an os 10 fp. The first flight was a 7x4 and way underpowered. Today was better but not great, I do have an OS 15 LA waiting to try next. Its what the plans call for but I wanted to see what the 10 could do. The motor mount will need to be modded and extended for the 15 to get better balance with less ballast. This is my version of the SPAD Gnat. I'm going to use it as a sport plane hence the landing gear. I must say it is really easy to fly even with the lack of power. Just plodding around even in some wind it is stable and controllable. Ground handling is awesome (at this point its as good a car as plane) I think the 15 should do good if not I'll find a 25 or something.
had to put in the music, the club chatterbox was there and one couldn't even hear the engine over him
Sep 10, 2019, 10:46 PM
After some tuning and a motor swap, I have it to where I want it. Spad Gnat, OS 15la, 7x5 apc, es08md2 servos, 2s 500mah with regulator receiver pack, Dubro 4oz tank ,Frsky rx, cheap landing gear. As for varying from the plans, Landing gear and steerable tail, dual aileron servos. Also the wing originally went from bottom, form leading edge, then down where the fuse passes through the wing to a low trailing edge. I omitted the last step because it seemed to have like reverse washout. Now its just a straight KF1 and has natural washout built in. Flies great as it is and is very fun!

SPAD Gnat Home supply store special combat plane Greg006 (4 min 3 sec)
Nov 21, 2019, 09:39 AM
This is my new biplane BLUES. Span 1200 mm, weight 1500 gram, motor 420 W, Lipo 1500- 2200 mAh. Fuse and horizontal stab are from white 3 mm coro (new, from a store), rest from 2 mm - blue (package- recycling). Other materials- bamboo sticks (barbecue and flower orchid sticks), vegetable box ply, fishing lane, insulated tape, cable cover (for tyres), welding wire etc. Wing spars from pine 10 x 3 mm (thiner on the ends for weight saving). Only hot glue used. Although pilot is only profile shaped, but with 3D glasses and moustache- has launched face recognitin function in my mobile phone- since then I treat him seriously :) Wing section is something between undercambered ancient RAF 15 and KFM. Very stable, but gentle in flight, little bit nostalgic, golden era view on the sky. Link to film:
October BLUES RC (2 min 46 sec)
Jul 08, 2020, 04:44 PM

Gloster Gladiator

Gloster Gladiator, 40" span all in 2mm correx. 40 fourstroke. Weight in at around 3 1/2 lb which I'm pleased with. Build from an old freeflight plan scaled up by 125%
Jul 09, 2020, 04:23 AM
Rob- long live biplanes! Very nice, gratulations!
Aug 18, 2020, 07:27 PM

Pbf

Last year I built a Spa3D with some alterations. It was a little underpowered with an OS FP40 even with a pipe. But it was fun

A few weeks ago I built a Pizza Box Flyer, same fp40 but without a pipe. Used hardwood for a spine so its a little heavy at 2.5 lbs. It flys ok but Ill put the pipe on to give it some more jam. ive seen a few builds with the front LE angle cut, I went a little much with 5" removed but I think it helps with the tucking under tendancy..?
The PBF keeps you on point with the sticks...very lively

My next builds will be a McDDD and a Bulldawg...remember those?
Aug 18, 2020, 11:43 PM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
I've been thinking of building a BullDawg too. I used to have one, and I kind of miss going fast and lightning quick rolls.
Aug 19, 2020, 05:26 PM
Did you put music wire in the flutes to keep it flat? I hear it likes to trim itself a lot
Crazy easy build.....it looks like
Aug 20, 2020, 10:56 PM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
Yup, I'm pretty sure I had music wire in a few flutes in the wing, for sure in the last one before the elevon hinge. I also put bamboo skewers in some of the flutes in the control surfaces.
Oct 05, 2020, 01:09 PM
I built a McDDD 32". TT42 mcp. 3 lbs 3oz. Flys awesome! First flight with a TX16s.
Super fun on the cheap
Nov 06, 2020, 08:40 AM

CCS-13 coro (PO-2)

Semi scale CSS-13 (Polikarpov PO-2 build by licence in Poland). 1820 mm span, 3600 heavy. Is not 100% coro SPAD because of tail made from depron- Coroplast double skin was too heavy for CG position, single plate was too weak and unacctecable not scale looking. Some printed parts: dummy engine (not quite MD 11, but similar), Venturi nozzles, and weels. Tyres from polyurethane foam, but covered wiht black nitryl gloves as tubes- only plus of Corona! SP-APD stays in Krosno, Poland, as one of few remaining of hundreds used in our aeroclubs until beginning of 70-ties. Model flys slow, with dignified manner- flying memory of the past...
Nov 07, 2020, 02:22 PM
That is amazing sir! Looks like a lot of time went into that.
Nov 07, 2020, 02:51 PM
Thank you kamlooper! Yes, it took some time, and therefore now it's time for something faster in building as reaction...

Quick Reply