May 02, 2017, 11:10 AM
Correx IS Always The Answer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports
This one is based loosely on the 'soon to be released' 1700mm span HobbyKing/Avios Grand Tundra, as well as the full size Tundra and the many Piper Cub derivatives. Construction is 2mm correx for the wing and fuse, with 3.5mm for the tail feathers.

Span: 1.65m
AUW: ~1900g (2150g with floats)
WCL: 6.5 - 7.4
Power: KD 3542 1000KV with a lovely 13x8 wood prop. 40A ESC and 2200 mAH or 3000mAh Lipo

Real pussycat on wheels. Float maiden still has to happen. Correx and vinyl are great materials for building simple, light and tough floats!
That looks awesome ExtremeSports!!! Would love to see a video
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2017, 09:41 AM
glider pilot in training
rcoopercorplastdelta (0 min 45 sec)
Dec 04, 2017, 09:35 AM
Has anyone created a spad form of a slowstick like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QYZJy5Foq9...0/IMG_2139.jpg

I need some pointers as to dimensions and gear to be used please, i'm guessing 2mm correx ?
Dec 04, 2017, 11:17 AM
That one looks like the blue fan fold foam to me. There are forums with lots of info on those. The coro 2mm would be tougher maybe sacrificing a bit of weight maybe. Look up blue FFF for plans and lots of info. Maybe someone here will chime in too. I think RC Canada had a pretty long thread on the blue fanfold stuff IIRC. It would still rate as a SPAD with foam, it is a form of plastic??? I just ran across mine in the attic garage yesterday. Good stuff. a bit tougher than the dollar store stuff.
Dec 05, 2017, 12:23 AM
Thanks i'm still on the edge wrt making one from correx or foam ? will the correx be harder to form than the foam ? i guess i need to "crease the correx spanwise two or three times near the LE so it curves more naturally with the correx ribs i'll be cutting ? I just like the durability of correx, if it can be done without much hassle, then i go get my correx sheets right this morning, but if it's going to be hard forming the corrrex of the ribs, then i'd like to go buy foam.
Dec 05, 2017, 02:16 AM
Every gram is sacred
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=43

Add more ribs for a stronger wing.
Dec 05, 2017, 02:54 AM
Thanks ES i think i might be going with the correx option then, do i need to cut the correx (like doing the hinges) or just crease it without cutting the correx open, with a phillips screwdriver say 3 times 1cm apart starting from the LE to get it to bend over the ribs ? Is it possible to add the ribs without any creasing ? I imagine it would be very stiff like that but perhaps very hard to make it bend over the ribs ?

Also do you stick the ribs in one by one gluing the corro with hotglue onto the rib one by one.

(i have only done folded wings with spar in middle, never a ribbed sparless one)
Dec 05, 2017, 04:40 AM
Every gram is sacred
Slit the flutes on the underside else you risk creases in the top skin. But try your idea on a scrap and see. My first wing was built without slitting flutes, but I used balsa for the ribs: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...72&postcount=6

To be honest, for a curved plate wing, I'd use foam if I had access to thin foam. This style of airfoil does not fly very well at anything but very slow speeds, and so has problems when not super light. The planes I've built like this tend to 'porpoise' in flight, and this went away as soon as I used a normal airfoil (I made a hot wire cut foam wing for the Cub).

You also need to google curved plate airfoils. That one in the picture is totally wrong - it is far too thick. Apparently best is max thickness of 4% of chord at 40% back from LE. That's what I've used in the links I made.

Re your other questions: Grab a scrap of correx or foam and see what works best for you. That is the SPAD way!

Must say, my first reaction to your post was why would anyone want to go to all the effort of building something as ugly as the picture you posted. Beauty must truly be in the eye of the beholder
Dec 05, 2017, 12:02 PM
Undercambered wings have the problem of tucking down at speed. Just the way they are. Foam takes a bit to curve as well, like boiling water over one surface, or creases. They are good for slow flight though. I get flack at all the clubs I have been in for my ugly box type planes. "Models are supposed to be modelled from a full size plane, and it is a model airplane hobby"..... I heard that one recently. I just see no need to put in a canopy for a pilot that is doomed for sure. More weight and drag too. They do look nice when they look like something recognizable though.
Jun 04, 2018, 02:24 PM
commit an act of aviation
I flew a bad to the bone SPAD in the full contact combat at RC Fest last weekend. I think I took out a few planes, but it barely wobbled chewing foam, lol ... It was a diamond in the rough from a swap meet last winter, what an incredible deal!
I asked if I could fly glow with them and everyone was cool with it, so when they said plug in your batteries I fired it up! that was fun! Glow power for the win! (actually I ran out of fuel before the end, I just left it pinned the whole time LOL). Drain pipe fuse with a corrugated plastic wing and tail, aluminum spar and a honkin OS .32 SX pulling the front end off.
They caught a split second of me chewing everyone up in this clip at 5:15...
Horizon RC Fest 2018 (7 min 37 sec)
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Jun 04, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Jun 05, 2018, 06:31 AM
Oh, dude! That was mighty nice of them, but really, a glow powered downspout and coro plane is such a brute compared to an electric powered foam job. Lots of mass, and nearly armor tough. A buddy of mine and I used to fly combat (a.k.a. demolition derby) with each other using .46LA powered Demons/Dominators. We learned how to make them nearly bulletproof, but we still went through a plane every other weekend. We tore off carbs, mufflers, landing gear, needle valves. And we laughed our butts off while we did it. The rest of the guys thought we were nuts. Maybe we were. ;-) I still keep one as a daily driver. They all but shrug off crashes, which makes them handy for pushing the envelope, down on the deck.
Jun 05, 2018, 08:44 PM
WARNING: Gravity wins always
Great job Mate even with glow
Glow would be my choice too
Jun 12, 2019, 11:59 AM
I want to put my ipad picture as I do
Last edited by sostenes; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Digitei errado
Jun 12, 2019, 04:41 PM
glider pilot in training
new flying season calls for a new plane. full 4mm coro construction of course
I took the plans for a FT bloody baron and scaled them up to a 36 inch wing span, added a os .25 to the nose then decked it out with standard servos for aileron an elevator, throttle is controlled by a 9 gram servo.

it's great fun to fly and always brings a smile to my face.
the bloody noisy baron in flight (2 min 12 sec)
Jun 12, 2019, 09:11 PM
This is one of the ones I made of the correx card.

Quick Reply