Apr 16, 2004, 09:04 PM
I can TOO fly!
Thread OP
Cool

Let's see the S.P.A.Ds

Lets see the SPADs that have been built.

I'll start.

It's survived several accidental landings!

to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2004, 10:20 PM
This is my first SPAD, it's an L-19 from fly r/c mag plans enlarged 400*/*
ASP 52 fs for power, 5ch w/ flaps. If your going to try something new, why not shoot the moon?
Jim
Apr 18, 2004, 09:49 AM

Spads

Here's mine so far. Working on a Weevil for fun and a Deb for club trainer.
Apr 20, 2004, 05:06 AM
Here's an old pic of Debby #2. She was always one of my favorite airplanes
Apr 21, 2004, 09:52 PM

New Weevil

Ok, here's the newest addition to my spad gallery. The Weevil Lives.
BTW, the canopy is not part of the plans. I did that because I don't like flat tops.
Last edited by JimRoss; Apr 22, 2004 at 08:36 AM.
Apr 21, 2004, 09:59 PM
Jim that wevil looks like a handful, what size motor is that?
Apr 22, 2004, 08:33 AM

Weevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitowings
Jim that wevil looks like a handful, what size motor is that?

It really isn't at all. If you can fly solo and have any confidence at all you will do great with it. Only caution is to set control surfaces to about 50% of max throws to start with until you get a few flights on it and see what you can handle. After that, GO NUTS!
Believe it or not, it flies rather docile in level flight and gentle turns but it is VERY responsive to pitch changes so be careful.
My first flight, it took off by itself. Had a little UP trim in elevons and POW, it lifted right off. Easily fixed though, down trim made it fly level. Landing her was the difficult part. Symmetrical wing made it drop like a rock with power off. Keep some throttle in it until just before touch down. IOW, Fly it in to landing.
It was really windy yesterday so the flights were more work than fun but hopefully it will calm down this weekend and I can try her again.

I have an OS 48 Four Stroke on it right now but I don't like the minimal power available from it. Got a GMS 47 I'm gonna put on it and then she should really root and scoot. A friend had one at the field yesterday with a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 on it with a Tower 46 Tuned Muffler and I saw it tach 15,000 rpm. Now that one really honked. Go ahead and build one for yourself, they are easy to build and nearly foolproof. You go by the plans and I promise it will fly and you'll like it. One thing nice about these spads, the plans and designs are already proven to work so this is not something unknown.
Besides that you can make one for under $20.00. What other plane can you build that inexpensively?
Apr 27, 2004, 12:31 PM

Apr 29, 2004, 12:15 PM
I can TOO fly!
Thread OP
Is that a Hula Hoop????
Apr 29, 2004, 01:33 PM
Ist das nicht ein hula hoop? Ja, das ist ein hula hoop.

It's one of those things that you get in your head and you just have to try. Yes, it does fly.

See this thread- http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=7766

(Sorry for the bad German)
Apr 29, 2004, 01:46 PM
I can TOO fly!
Thread OP
I like the idea that when you go straight in, the motor's protected.
How do you launch it?
Apr 30, 2004, 08:24 AM
To launch it I hold onto the fuel tank, which is on the CG, point the nose up a little, crank her up to full throttle and just let go. The plane takes right off. Landing it is a little more difficult as it floats about the same as a brick. I have to fly it to about a foot or two off the ground and cut the engine and let it flop down.
May 03, 2004, 11:19 PM
My Montana trainer, Plans from "Benjammin". Basically a Deb with closed wings and a flipped over fuse. This thing fly great and just floats in for landings either rubber side up or cartwheeled. One tough plane, only a broken fuse, (repaired in an hour) and firewall. Use HPD for firewall not ply, the ply will shear along the laminations due to the screws. All 4 mil coro and American gutter pipe, Mecoa .46 on 10x6. Needs a bigger tank, gonna try a babies bottle instead. Also have a DPS but no pics just yet,
May 04, 2004, 11:21 PM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
What is HPD that you used for your firewall?
May 05, 2004, 01:41 AM
The HPD or is it HDP any way, it is poly cutting board like the kind you use in the kitchen. Get it at wall mart, one board is enough to make several firewalls. The set screws for the motor mount and for the firewall will not pull out and it is already fuel proof. The poly board will not separate like ply can either. If you have a table saw cut a step in it with the inside and outside dimensions of your pipe, this will be even stronger. There is a place on the web "Coroplast Building Ideas" that sells them pre cut for a few bucks.
Good luck
Doug

Quick Reply