Aug 29, 2014, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr
Yes, I know that time is "short", "our greatest asset", and . . . "money". And I know that it takes time to make drawings for model airplanes. I'm thinking that it's asking a lot to ask for you to take the Time to provide actual plans for us to copy - and so I'm wondering how you made the plans for your B-17 - and maybe I could make my own. Nothing fancy, just enough to get some outlines cut on foam to get started.

I have one of those image projectors and could use an 8x10 3-view to get something on paper. I've never tried anything that large and so I expect there would be some distortion but it should be minor. Anyway, the question is; is this how you made your plans and do you have any hints or suggestions based on your experience? Thanks.

Oh, love your videos.
I've got to say that was the nicest way I have ever seen someone say, "Give me the ^$%^%$ #$%^^ plan s you son of a motherless goat!!!" lol
I'm thinking the best thing to do right now is to ship paper templates to those who absolutely want one right now. The design is pretty much complete, and I have reached the point where I am recreating the same design instead of changing it every time. I am going to video the next build so people can see exactly how it goes together. I think it would be cool to see others building my plane.

In fact those of you still following along who want plans, PM me and I'll figure out the best way to get them to you.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2014, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen
I've got to say that was the nicest way I have ever seen someone say, "Give me the ^$%^%$ #$%^^ plan s you son of a motherless goat!!!" lol
I'm thinking the best thing to do right now is to ship paper templates to those who absolutely want one right now. The design is pretty much complete, and I have reached the point where I am recreating the same design instead of changing it every time. I am going to video the next build so people can see exactly how it goes together. I think it would be cool to see others building my plane.

In fact those of you still following along who want plans, PM me and I'll figure out the best way to get them to you.
That made me laugh
Aug 31, 2014, 07:10 AM
I'm working tward a goal of 10 bombers flying formation, here's my progress so far. A friend is also working on two more at his house.
Nov 10, 2014, 09:41 AM
I put landing gear on one of them yesterday, way more fun than I expected!

Super simple b17landings (3 min 31 sec)
Nov 22, 2014, 11:56 AM
from the other night getting ready to paint.

I used an old wagner power painter to cover them. It was way way way faster than hand painting. now all thats left is cutting the ailerons elevators and rudders and add electronics and motors. I'm going to paint the ailerons and tails like the first one in the next pic but each one will be a different color to help keep the pilots from watching the wrong plane during formation.

I can wait to see all 8 planes in the air at once with a few mustangs running defense for them. My dream is working on coming true and I couldn't be happier.

My long term pipe dream is to do an annual WWII memorial show with bombers, fighter, pyrotechnics, music, and an announcer calling the show for spectators. I think it would be a great way to teach kids about their history while at the same time honoring our hero's, and getting people excited about the rc hobby.
Nov 22, 2014, 02:19 PM
That would be something. It could be done.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:20 AM
Can't wait for the plans. Is that 1/2" Foam?
Nov 25, 2014, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFA 1
Can't wait for the plans. Is that 1/2" Foam?
I gave my first honest set of plans to a friend to build with them and tell me how it goes. I don't want to release this thing until it's perfect. It's getting close.
ya it's half inch foam.
Nov 26, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hey, watch this!
I understand, and appreciate, your desire to make the plans as accurate as possible. So take your time - but now that I think of it; a set of B-17 plans would make a swell Christmas present .
Nov 26, 2014, 10:44 PM
When pigs fly rc
Release them as beta plans with revisions as needed
Dec 16, 2014, 11:53 AM
super simple B-17 went FPV yesterday.

it was the first time I've ever flown FPV, but it wont be my last!!!
FPV'ing a B17 (5 min 5 sec)
Dec 18, 2014, 11:22 PM
wow that is awesome. I think I will need one of these. Can not wait to see you formation fly!
Mar 19, 2015, 10:38 AM
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!
IT JUST GOT REAL! picked up a phlat printer 2 over the weekend. B-17's are about to become available to the masses!

and here's a little fun from monday.
combat monday (3 min 55 sec)
Apr 03, 2015, 07:57 AM
what do you do when you are the only one at the field? well this stuff!
inverted fun with the simple bomber (3 min 17 sec)
Apr 10, 2015, 09:00 AM
Loved your idea, thanks for sharing. Had to build my own, full size plans are done, so foam cutting starts tonight. I was able to fit 4 on 2 sheets of foam. Also I have come up with a plan for removable wings. Here is my parts layout:

Quick Reply