Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 25, 2014, 08:53 AM
Discussion

Super simple 73" b-17 combat plane

I’ve been working on my very own large scale b-17 bombers for a combat game I’ve come up with. The goal was a budget simple build that can be reproduced quickly and still flies well.
It has a 73” wing span, runs off a single turnagy 35-36 1800kv outrunner, turns a 9x5 prop and uses a single 2650 3cell.
The plane will be used in full contact team dog fighting. It will have to make ten laps around a pylon course while fighters try to knock it down. I have a ton of flights on the yellow one, and will be maidening the pink one tomorrow morning.
Plans are coming soon. Just figured I’d share my progress with y’all.
The actual combat event will take place in early October. It should be a blast!

This picture is what inspired the whole thing! my 79" b-17 flying with my buddy's lightning. It looked great, but he nearly clipped my tail at one point. Thats when it came to me.

73" profile b17 (3 min 0 sec)

RC B-17 dogfight vs a hoard of F-14's (5 min 55 sec)

last flight b17 (4 min 10 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2014, 09:21 AM
This is fantastic. What are the chances of getting some plans of this thing? We have a fun fly coming up at the end of September and would love to have a couple of these built. Great job!
Jul 25, 2014, 09:24 AM
Oooops. Haha. My bad. I just went back and read the entire post again. I see where it clearly says "Plans coming soon". looking forward to them. Saw your picture on the crashcast page and thought I would come see if it was on here. Keep it up!
Jul 25, 2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks, ya I'm a bit surprised at the level of interest in this plane. I've been blown up on FB with people wanting plans, and some even asking me to build one for them. We will see how v2 flies in the morning.
Jul 29, 2014, 07:36 AM
new video, v1 and v2. Took some hard licks but both are still air worthy.
b17 profile onboard flights (4 min 56 sec)
Jul 31, 2014, 10:37 PM
Lookin good!!! Anxious to get my hands on the plans.
Aug 01, 2014, 08:39 AM
working on getting some digital plans made.
Aug 04, 2014, 11:46 AM
here's a video from yesterday. I took both b17's out for combat. It was me, vs two other guys. My bombers where the only planes not destroyed.
I was taken out once, but there was next to no damage. I mangled one F-14 with my prop, and the other crashed while trying to hit me.
After the combat, I took the old prototype and put it through some tortue testing. High speed dives, loops, knife edges, harriers, and even dragged a wingtip.
watch till the end, it's all good stuff.
b17 combat and stunts at the end. (5 min 47 sec)
Aug 04, 2014, 09:25 PM
Off topic - but related to B-17s. Have you guys seen the Bally Bomber?
It's a 1/3 scale B-17:
http://theballybomber.com/index.html
Aug 12, 2014, 02:50 PM
prototype v1 is finally no more.

Video to come soon.
I need to pick up some more hot glue, before I can start on v3. I am woring on a way to do a removable wing right now.
Aug 13, 2014, 06:36 AM
"It's merely a flesh wound."
Aug 13, 2014, 06:59 AM
I could fix it, but I'd rather work on a v3 so I need the electronics out of this one.
Aug 13, 2014, 02:44 PM
Counting down the hours till I get off work today. While toiling away at my mundane job I had an epiphany on how to inexpensively and easily make the wing removable!
I just need to go home and try it now!
If this works, the plane will be easy to transport, and easy to kit and rekit. Also I’m thinking of putting out paper plans with full size templates for people interested in the plane. I think that will be easier for me than trying to use a computer.
Aug 13, 2014, 09:39 PM
best combat yet!
sorry the end of the video got clipped by youtube, but it's still worth watching.
KILLER COMBAT (6 min 19 sec)
Aug 14, 2014, 04:16 AM
Hey, watch this!
Ohhhh ! I must have one of these !

One-design, streamer-towing combat died in our club a couple of years ago (what a shame). But maybe if I can offer one of these babies to the (un)faithful some happy carnage will take place.

I anxiously await plans !

By the way, even though it looks weird to see jets attacking a B-17, the jets in the videos look like fun too. Maybe if I built a couple and made them available to my "adversaries" I could resurrect combat in my club. Could you tell me what models your attackers were flying ?
Last edited by Raymond-leflyr; Aug 14, 2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: I'm a slow thinker

Quick Reply