Apr 16, 2004, 02:17 PM
The Magician.
Thread OP
Cool

PCW Crash Test Video Info and Comments

EZone,

We thought it would be fun to display the durability of the new version PCW in video form. On the www.EdgeRC.com web site you will find a crash test video of the new PCW V2. This is the new kit with the molded motor mount and landing skid. We have fully eliminated the need for a wood rib in the center of the wing, and have achieved MUCH higher durability in the kit.

In the video, you will see a 100% stock PCW-V2 (all kits are now V2) flying with the recommended 2-cell Etec 1200mA LiPo battery and the stock EDP-50 motor system. The battery is buried in the nose of the PCW. No additional reinforcements were made to the PCW, and it is built according to instructions. The PCW is covered in Ultracote and uses the stock balsa elevons, Coro wing tips and the molded motor mount and launching/landing skid. The PCW is never repaired for the duration of the video, and remains un-repaired and 100% flyable to this day.

The conditions were windy 10-15MPH and gusting to 25 at times. The flying performed was specifically for crash testing, so there are intentional groundings of the plane at times as well as a few unintentional groundings due to the gusting wind. Special thanks to Dan (skypyro) for his filming of the crash video.

[EDIT]
There are now 2 sizes of video to view on the videos page of the EdgeRC website. A full-length 18 MB video (down from the original 33+MB monster (but still huge) and an ~ 8 MB short vid that should be easier for dialup users to access.

Please enjoy the vids, and I do enjoy the feedback.

Click Here: http://www.edgerc.com/video.htm and select from the 2 sizes of video at the top of the page to view the attempted carnage

I hope you enjoy,

Justin
Last edited by birdofprey; Apr 17, 2004 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2004, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
You guys got to check out the Video. Its Great!!!! I don't think anything can break that little airplane. Great Filming Dan and Justin. I assume that the Chandler Bowl..

David
Apr 16, 2004, 02:54 PM
Jack of all trades!
Hey Justin whats new??

Got my Overlord going and I love it I plan on starting a thread about it. Very nice kit except for maybe the instructions could use some improvment. Built all stock with the 8x1800mah battery and speed 400. I was flying it today trying to get it trimed out, near a scool. While I was flying the kids came out for lunch or whatever and were watching me fly from on top of the hill. Well my buddy showed up and started talking to me while I was flying. I kind of lost my concentration and pulled up into the ground from a dive. I was like oh man this thing is dead. Kids on the hill were going, "that thing blew up", "wow you see that". So I walked over and checked it out, and off she went agian, my buddy was very impressed.

I just finished DLing that movie, holy crap, ROTFLMAO that was hilarious. IF you have a high speed connection this is a movie worth waiting for.

Chris
Apr 16, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hi Justin,

I have an old style PCW that I removed the rib from the center. The durability improved dramatically, so I completely believe your statement. I don't have dents in this battery as I replaced the battery at the same time as I removed the rib.

At any rate, it's a great plane, and even better with the rib gone. Every time I fly it I get questions about where to get one.
Apr 16, 2004, 04:09 PM
Frequent Flyer

Examine your old version PCW!

Great video Justin!
I land like that a lot.

I have ordered the upgrade kit.

I took mine apart because I was noticing a lot of flexing in the nose, and I discovered that I had broken off the front of the rib. No big deal except my Etec 1200 was bent into a U shape because with every impact, the nose would push back, along with my "dent preventer" plywood battery shield, and compress the battery. I carefully flattened the battery out and kept it in a fireproof safe for a day, and it seems to be fine. The plane still flew well with the broken nose, and I don't know for certain if the battery would have become a problem, but I sure did not want to continue flying like that once I saw the bent battery.

Thanks for the great plane and the great service!

Brian
Apr 16, 2004, 04:54 PM
wingsuit pilot
i thought you cant crash lipoly's everyone cry's about using their nihm's till they trim so they wont wreck their lipoly's. great vid

-arai-
Apr 16, 2004, 10:06 PM
The Magician.
Thread OP
Thanks for the nice comments guys!!!
I hope to have a shorter and smaller vid to post soon for everyone that is not lucky enough to be on HSD. It really is worth the wait for the D/L.
That video was fillmed at the Chandler Bowl (my apologies to the Chandler parks department for all of the dents and dings in the steel posts. I know they were only ment to stand up to baseballs and the like, not a 5 ounce foam plane...LOL)

We are really pleased with the PCW-V2 and the elimination of the plywood rib/keel. The PCW is now much more durable and the batteries are protected from almost any type of impact damage. Although any plane can be damaged, it really would take a serious effort, or some seriously bad luck to damage a PCW-V2 to the point where it would no-longer fly well.

Thanks,

Justin
Apr 16, 2004, 10:44 PM
Fly
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
I love the video! What I really like about it is that it not only shows the durability of the PCW, but it is also easy to see what a blast this thing is to fly. I think this video shows how much fun Justin is having trying to crash! I have this much fun every time I fly my PCW!
Apr 17, 2004, 02:16 AM
PWP!
Nice vid Justin - you were right, definitely worth the d/l - laughed my butt off at work.

How cool is this guy? He just casually leans back as the PCW zooms by sideways, about a foot or so off of his chest? Very cool.
Apr 17, 2004, 03:32 AM
high-speed freak
so now the question is... what would it be like on a 3s pack of kokam 340's and a gobrushless cdrom motor tuned for 75W? what's the max battery thickness that will fit, and what prop size can it take without modding?
Apr 17, 2004, 07:41 PM
Fantastic, nice job Justin.
Apr 17, 2004, 07:54 PM
Justin,

I ordered a set of wingcores and several sets of the pod and keel since I had a complete set of version 1 PCW not yet built. I have several questions since your version 2 flies better and much faster than mine.

Did you change the instructions for building version 2? If so, are they posted on your web site or can I get a copy sent? Did you use Ultracote or paint on the pod and keel of your stock version shown in the video? How did you tape the pod and keel to the foam and what type of tape did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Apr 17, 2004, 08:37 PM
The Magician.
Thread OP
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

opualuan,

The Brushless CD PCW has been done, look for it in the near future as a kit.

no stick,

Some of the first run kits may have slipped out without instructions. E-mail me and I will send you the PDF of the new V2 instructions.

Everyone,

The video page has been updated with 2 new sizes of the video. The full-length video is now around 18 MB and the short version is around 8 MB.
Click here to go to the EdgeRC video page:
http://www.edgerc.com/video.htm

I have edited the first post to reflect the changes and the removal of the monster 33+MB video.

Thanks,
Apr 17, 2004, 08:47 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
That is freakin hilarious!!! The spin around the pole onto the picnic table is priceless!

I really was hoping for some cartwheels in the dirt, just WOT rolling straight into the dirt...bounce...bounce...bounce...

The flying into you was great as well!

Cam
Apr 17, 2004, 11:46 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
I can't bear to watch the video. Such a violent video. Where's the RCplane-right group? Those planes have right, too!
I gotta go adopt one of those PCWs. Free those PCWs!
This will be my excuse to buy more planes.
Last edited by Caveman; Apr 17, 2004 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply