Jul 21, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson "Flyingegg" CX-205/SH 6057

INTRODUCTION

Cheerson recently indroduced a funny quadcopter with an original design, especially dedicaced for kids: the "Flyingegg" aka SH 6057.
They produced a talented teasing video for this new model
Flying egg UFO!! cheerson 6057 3D Flying Egg RC Quadcopter!! (2 min 33 sec)

and a lot of expectation was associated with this model. In fact, Cheerson have probably acquired some copyright of the Sanlianhuan (SH) compagny, the original designer of this FLyingegg. The official nomenclature of this quadcopter for Cheerson is CX-205.

3 versions of the CX-205 are available: Two nice guys, i.e. the bee (yellow) and the pinguin (black and white) and the bad guy with silver color. I will review the silver version.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-205/SH 6057 (with a 9.6g 350mAh LiPo, rated 20C using a micro-Losi connector)
+ 1 x Controler (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger (ending with 2 male micro-losi connectors)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (chinese only)
+ 1 x Screw driver

OVERVIEW

The size of this micro quadcopter is 70mmx70mm square with height equal to 103mm. This CX-205 can be full parked into the egg with two other plastic parts

The intermediate part can be a little bit difficult to open the first time, you need to be unclip (attached with 4 points) this part with precaution. The quadcaopter standalone without battery is scaling 39.1g

The CX-205 is Shipped with a 1S 350mah, 20C LiPo (scaling 9.6g)

The total weight is 48.6g

so it's a little bit heavy comparatively with the same category models. For example, with the same LiPo, a V252 is scaling only 32.1g

so close to 16.5g more ... There will be probably some impact in the flying duration due to this extra weight.
The CX-205 have very long feet

each of them are fixed of the main frame by an axis associated with a spring to force their extension.

Arms are retractable in order to box the quadcopter into the egg. When motor start to spin, they are automaticaly lifting in the horizontal position. They are quiet short (approximatively 25mm)

and are in metal instead of carbon. The choice of metal can explain partially the extra weight. I am estimating that [2-3]g coud be saved if they were in carbon.

The bottom side is welcoming the battery bay

This latter can accept LiPo up to 380mah without any problem and probably some 500mah if the two plastic notches ending the compartiment are cutted.
After unscrewing 4 small screws, the top egg canopy can be easely removed
The plastic of the canopy seems robust to main type of crashes but I am afraid that cracks can appeared if the quadcopter is falling vertically on beton surface. Over grass surface, my provided flyingegg had zero crack signs.

The main PCB is designed by the "ABE" compagny. This latter is known also to be the designer of some other Cheerson models (CX-10/CX-11 "red" PCB models), V252 pro, etc...).

On top you can indentify the classic invensense 6050C as gyro+accelormeters chip. The RF chips is hidden but is nRF24L01 compatible (either a beken 2423 or a XN297)
A good point is the presence of connectors for each motors (easier mantenance). Two small LED can be find on the top PCB, a red and green one. One main problem, especially with the silver version, is that LEDs are almost invisible in daylight.
It can be problematic especially to know if the gyroscope calibration procedure is correctly done or not.
Notice also the presence of two extra connectors (2 and 3 pins respectively). Probably this PCB have been canibalized from another former SH model. The 3 pins connector is a camera plug probably. Finally, a 31mm antenna can be found soldered close the RF chip

The bottom part is welcoming the MCU from ST compagny

and 2314 mosfet can be found.

As you can see and unlike to the SH 6057 teaser, no specific waterproof system is present.

Notice that, when you receive the quadcopter, the front part is associated with the black props while rear with the orange ones.
In order to inverse the situation, the easiest way is to:
i) disconnect all motor connectors (note the position of each connector before)
ii) Unscrew the 2 small screws maintening the PCB and rotate it by 180 degrees.
iii) Reconnect connectors keeping the same connector location that before.

Motors are coreless 7mmx20mm model.

They are the same size that models which are scaling more than 16g less ... Some 8.5mmx20mm would have been probably a better choice.
Unfortunatly, motor pods can't welcom these extra larger model.

Props are 55mm long with 0.8mm hole shaft with a individual weight of 0.35g. Shape of these props is similar to the JXD 388/392 models

The transmitter is taking the general shape of the owl bird and probably also is canibalized from another former SH model. This design is not fantastic esthetically speaking IMHO. 6xAA batteries are required (not included) and the total weight of the TX is quiet heavy but you can handle it very well.

Sticks are good enough to have precize and smooth flights. No real dead zones as well as no strong non-linear behaviour of the associated spings.

Instead of shoulder buttons, you will find in place some potentionmeters. In general, the more suprizing is the assignation's role of each button. The top shoulder potentiometer represents the throttle trimming (the beep is representing the central position), the second left button allows you to select between beginner (1 beep) and expert mode (2 beeps). The right shoulder potentiometer is the foward/backward trimming and the two right button for the left/right trimming (a long beep is indicating the central position).
Clearly, these potentionmeters are not really adapted for trimming because you can easely touch them accidentally during flights.
Anyway, the TX is offering you some precize flights, that's the more important. The calibration precedure is defined as follows:
push right stick in lower left position then push the left stick in lower left position. The red light will flash fast during 2s indicating the calibration procedure. Unfortunatly, this led is almost invisible during daylight.

The daughter RF board have a well 31mm tuned antenna.

Chinese instruction manual

FIRST USAGE

By default, the quadcopter is turning on beginner mode where pitch/roll rate are limited. The yaw rate (not proportional to the speed mode) is in the average so you can also use it indoors without any problems.
When you push throttle, arms are lifting horizontaly and quad is hovering. I found the quad a little bit noisy and a source of this potential noise is due to some extra vibrations of arms around its axis. This latter have some freeroom and finally some vibrations are created at the extremity. Whatever, the quad is very stable and the 6-axis stabilisation is very efficient.

In sportive mode, the pitch/roll rate are increased and you can feel that this quad can be very fast outdoors. As expected, due to the extra weight, you don't have a fantastic vertical lifting capacity.
Flips are making the quadcopter loosing some alitude (1.5m in average). The flying duration is approximativly of 4mm30-5mm so is impacted by this extra weight. The motors are also warm ... Everything is indicating that the quadcopter is a little bit undersized.

The good new is concerning the protocol used. As expected, this quadcopter is compatible with the "Sky Walker" protocol. So when you are flying the FlyingEgg with a Devo controler, you have a very good flyer in hands.

In outdoors conditions, the flyingegg is showing a lot of qualities. This quadcopter is finaly very fast !!!! and also very strong wind resistant. I liked a lot very fun but as depicted earlier, don't loose to fast altitude, you won't recover even at full throttle.
The CX-205 is banking well and especially with the devo controller, the pitch rate is just amazing.... providing great foward acceleration.
The range control is also very good, I never lost control within 50m and I am quiet sure it would be the same up to 100m.

Unfortunatly, I was not able to see if there is a LVC alarm via the LEDs (in daylight). I stopped each flight when quadcopter couldn't keeping stable hovering.
I noticed that with the Devo controler with the channel 5, I was able to turn on/off the green led (a little bit more visible) but in all case, you can't fly it at night

CONCLUSIONS

This Fyingegg from Cheerson is clearly an original quadcopter oriented for kids. Thanks to its efficient 6-axis stabilization, it's adapted for such beginners. The canopy is also resistant to main type of crashes. In sport mode, in outdoors conditions, this quadcopter is very fun. The TX + batteries can be a little bit heavy for kids under 8.
The main drawback is concerning the flying duration, a little bit limited (< 5mm). Of course, one way would be to remove the egg canopy (> 6g), but in this case, it would kill also the main interest of this quadcopter.
By consequence, I would advice to cool motors during 5mm between each flight. Maybe one option, would be to install larger motor pods and to install some 8.5mmx20mm motors.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESING

Cheerson "FlyingEgg" CX-250/SH 6057 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (18 min 19 sec)

PROS

+ Nice design
+ Very stable (6-axis stabilization) and wind resistant
+ Fast and good forward acceleration
+ Good yaw rate
+ Good range control
+ DeviationTX compatible (SkyWakr protocol)
+ USB charger with 2 micro-losi

CONS

- Inverted props color by default
- Slightly underpowered motors (7mmx20mm)
- Warm motors and Lipo after usage
- [4mm30-5mm] of flight duration (even with the 350mah)
- Almost invisible LEDs
- No night flight capacity
- Potentiometer as trim buttons

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 30.66 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/SH-6057-24G-...105842201212FR
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 08, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2014, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods and videos

Cheerson "FlyingEgg" CX-250/SH 6057 outdoors test (Courtesy of Banggood) (4 min 32 sec)
Jul 21, 2014, 07:33 PM
Hey Seby, now I'm confused with the buttons on the left side and the dial on top. So the dial on top trims the throttle, right?

Below the left stick, the right button toggles between beginner and expert modes? The left button does nothing?

In the instruction manual, it confirms the above and says the left button is actually a "photograph" button. BUT, also in the instruction manual, it says these 2 buttons trims the yaw.

I haven't really touched those buttons during my flights but I want to get a 2nd opinion about those buttons. As I am fixing the English manual, I have to make it clear what those buttons are for.
Jul 21, 2014, 08:24 PM
Good review as always.I wonder if it can be controlled by other TX,like wltoys V252's or cheerson cx-10
Jul 22, 2014, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin
Good review as always.I wonder if it can be controlled by other TX,like wltoys V252's or cheerson cx-10

Hi Jacky,

The list of "ABE" compatible TX is :
- V252-pro
- CX-10 and CX-11 RED PCB EDITION ONLY
- Most of SH transmitter

in fact, you can find more compatible model at :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

and look at 'YD717 + Skywalker option'
Jul 22, 2014, 12:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyops
Hey Seby, now I'm confused with the buttons on the left side and the dial on top. So the dial on top trims the throttle, right?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyops
Below the left stick, the right button toggles between beginner and expert modes? The left button does nothing?

In the instruction manual, it confirms the above and says the left button is actually a "photograph" button. BUT, also in the instruction manual, it says these 2 buttons trims the yaw.

I haven't really touched those buttons during my flights but I want to get a 2nd opinion about those buttons. As I am fixing the English manual, I have to make it clear what those buttons are for
yes the right is for speed mode, the left ... as you wrote me later probably to turn on/off camera (the connector is present on the quadcopter)
Jul 24, 2014, 05:01 AM
Thread OP
Please find the English documentation in #1 post
Jul 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Please find the English documentation in #1 post
The ones that came with the egg copters from EachBuyer.com were blurry, so I decided to make a larger version with better wording (but not perfect). It's going to take a while since I have to rewrite every paragraph.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Ok ... some feedbacks after few flights .....

Good news ... it's definitively a great flyer ...... I heard that some come with a 380mAh LiPo
Bad news ... : If you crash on a retractible feet and/or a arm, they can pop out from their axis ... If it's a feet, it's very hard to re-install due to the associated spring(I gave up after 15mm).
More, I noticed that mine came with 2 missing micro bushing rings locking the motor arm into the axe....
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Aug 06, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Oct 14, 2014, 03:43 AM
and small vid from me
Cheerson CX-205 aka SH 6057, 2.4GHz, 4Ch, 6 Axis, Flying Egg, RC Quadcopter (RTF) (8 min 0 sec)
Dec 06, 2014, 11:57 AM

extra batteries for

Where can I get extra Lipo batteries for the Cheerson CX-205 Egg Copter?
Sep 02, 2015, 04:02 PM

Calibrate the Gyro

When I bind my Flying Egg and push the to sticks in their left bottom corners my Quad begin to flash red.
this is the calibration for the gyro.

So if you have any Problems with the leveling of your copter put both sticks in their left bottom corner and it fly like a new one.

May 30, 2016, 05:29 AM
Michael Thompson
deleted duplicate post
Last edited by strider_mt2k; May 30, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
May 30, 2016, 06:58 AM
Michael Thompson
Hi folks,

I recently bought an SH 6057 Flying Egg and the thing is pretty interesting.
I hate the transmitter but this thing flies exceptionally well under Devialtion so that's cool.
It warms up a Tenergy 25c 380mah battery so it's doing a fair amount of work keeping all that hardware in the air.

I don't really plan on keeping in its stock form for long because to me it begs to be modded...of course most things do to me but that's another story another time...

To that end I removed the top cover, set my modded Syma X5 FVP camera on the top and topped it off with the black dome from the center of the Flying Egg's transmitter (which I have stripped for parts and discarded as it is not great.)

This is for photographic entertainment purposes only, but I give you Imperial Probe Droid Quad:
May 30, 2016, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
Hi folks,

I recently bought an SH 6057 Flying Egg and the thing is pretty interesting.
I hate the transmitter but this thing flies exceptionally well under Devialtion so that's cool.
It warms up a Tenergy 25c 380mah battery so it's doing a fair amount of work keeping all that hardware in the air.

I don't really plan on keeping in its stock form for long because to me it begs to be modded...of course most things do to me but that's another story another time...

To that end I removed the top cover, set my modded Syma X5 FVP camera on the top and topped it off with the black dome from the center of the Flying Egg's transmitter (which I have stripped for parts and discarded as it is not great.)

This is for photographic entertainment purposes only, but I give you Imperial Probe Droid Quad:

Pretty original .... How it flies with ? You have video footage ?

Quick Reply