to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2014, 09:59 AM
Jer. 29:11
Looks nice!

I made a little progress on the build last evening but not much new to show.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:48 AM
Went to mow a meadow
I'm watching this thread in admiration , fantastic achievement!

I would really like to build one of these but sadly my building skills are not up to it
I wonder if you might give a few hints on how you form depron for the wings and fuselage. When I try to bend it it cracks and breaks. Do you know of any tutorials?

Thanks
Frank
Jul 31, 2014, 12:17 PM
Warbirds Lover
Hi Frank,

GGRN made some rather good tutorials (texts + videos) some times ago, explaining how he works with depron. here is the link :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=DEPRON

May be Lockey will also have some more tips and trics to learn to us.

Enjoy !

Best regards
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Jul 31, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Jul 31, 2014, 01:51 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hi Frank,

GGRN made some rather good tutorials (texts + videos) some times ago, explaining how he works with depron. here is the link :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=DEPRON

May be Lockey will also have some more tips and trics to learn to us.

Enjoy !

Best regards
Thank you very much !

Just what I needed

Frank
Jul 31, 2014, 08:13 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
I love the work of GGRN and J Morgan, they both build some amazing models

They do however use lots of 3 mm Depron and I am not a big fan of the 3 mm so I tend to us MPF (for the bendy bits) which is about 5.5 mm thick and in my mind is a lot stronger

I also like to use 6 mm Depron for the wings .... again a lot stronger

Both Depron and MPF, being that bit thicker allow for sanding to shape, unfortunately 3 mm does not leave a lot of room for sanding before its gone

The techniques for bending and rolling Depron and MPF and similar except that 6 mm Depron need to have tape (I use clear packaging tape) on the outside to stop it cracking and breaking but MPF does not need the tape.

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 31, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Aug 01, 2014, 05:06 AM
Went to mow a meadow
I dont think we can get MPF in the UK. I have sliced up some underfloor EPS board and that seems to be a bit more flexible than Depron.

Tried the "beer belly bending technique" last night and to my surprise it works well Just got to perfect the wing leading edge bend now, do you remove the tape after bending?

I am thinking of covering the airframe with pva glue and paper to add some strength, do you consider it necessary?

Will you be publishing a pdf plan soon ( please )

Frank
Aug 01, 2014, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
I dont think we can get MPF in the UK. I have sliced up some underfloor EPS board and that seems to be a bit more flexible than Depron.

Tried the "beer belly bending technique" last night and to my surprise it works well Just got to perfect the wing leading edge bend now, do you remove the tape after bending?

I am thinking of covering the airframe with pva glue and paper to add some strength, do you consider it necessary?

Will you be publishing a pdf plan soon ( please )

Frank
Hi Frank

I can't get the MPF in Oz either so I have it sent over from the USA, its worth the cost and the wait

Covering with PVA and tissue is a great idea, the fiberglass I used is only like tissue but I believe it adds quite a bit of strength and durability

Plans are ready for publishing when I am sure there are no other mistakes or mods to be made

I am going to do a very simple ugly stick sort of model maybe call it "Lockeys DasUg" and I will document and possibly do a video of the build showing bending and making a Depron Clark Y / ish wing

I am also looking at doing a web site with all my plans and I will include some info and videos on there ... I will probably sell my plans on there too (to non-members of the forum naturally) you guys will still get them for free

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 01, 2014 at 05:29 AM.
Aug 01, 2014, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
More build .... its getting close now

Looks like I might have to use a 2200 / 4s battery to get it to balance (would rather use 2200 / 3s if I can) battery will have to go all the way up front so will glue the top section back in place (see pic 007, 6th pic ... to put the strength back into the fuselage) and cut a hatch right up in the front section for the battery ... just behind the bluefoam nose

Not sure what I will do with the retract bays yet, doors maybe ?

I have used 40A ESC's, probably a little overkill but I can use different motors if I need to

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 01, 2014 at 05:59 AM.
Aug 01, 2014, 06:22 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Looking forward to it ...

Thanks again

Frank
Aug 01, 2014, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
I wasn't over happy about the sharpness of the front of the wing, so I did a bit of testing and here are my findings

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 01, 2014 at 06:40 AM.
Aug 01, 2014, 09:14 AM
The new leading edge design looks like the way to go, love the fork tool.

Cheers Kev.
Aug 01, 2014, 02:38 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
I dont think we can get MPF in the UK. I have sliced up some underfloor EPS board and that seems to be a bit more flexible than Depron......

Frank
Actually, you can get MPF in the UK. In fact the post office says i can ship a domestic size box (24x48" x16 sheets) or the international size box (8"x40"x30 layers). For some reason they will ship the larger box to countries in the EU, whereas the rest of the world can only get the int'l size. Depron is so inexpensive in UK and Germany, that few guys have tried the MPF, though.
Aug 01, 2014, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Actually, you can get MPF in the UK. In fact the post office says i can ship a domestic size box (24x48" x16 sheets) or the international size box (8"x40"x30 layers). For some reason they will ship the larger box to countries in the EU, whereas the rest of the world can only get the int'l size. Depron is so inexpensive in UK and Germany, that few guys have tried the MPF, though.
Thanks for coming in with that Mike, I know there are guys across the pond/s that would like to get MPF

8" wide isn't really big enough for a lot of my models, so I got Bob to send me some of your MPF ... he sent me a box of 16 sheets measuring 39" x 16" (the maximum size I think for the box)

Maybe you will have to take another look at it Mike

Lockey
Aug 01, 2014, 08:18 PM
treefinder
Aha, maybe I should! The 8x8x40 is a standard size box we found that fit the international requirements. I reviewed it with folk on the MPF thread before getting the boxes as to use ability and got mixed but fairly favorable responses. 4" x16" x39" would fit under the limit as well, but I will have to see if I can find a readymade box in that size, or would have to make one special. The other issue will be the offal from cutting down the 24x48 sheets, though keeping both international sizes would accommodate that. Decisions, decisions!

Quick Reply