Jul 25, 2014, 11:55 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
if that can help : When i build with foam covered with epoxy and fiber glass i use 1 gram of epoxy for 1 dmē.
Epoxy must be very fluid and i apply it with a small foam roller.

@ lockey : thanks a lot for your answer !
i'm sure she will be a nice flyer.
Rollers are by far the best way to apply epoxy. Most soak up too much resin though and are expensive.

This is from my Monocoupe build thread. These apply the thinnest possible layer of resin and are ridiculously cheap. And they do not soak up resin, it all stays on the surface. Use a serrated edge bread knife to cut to any width needed.:

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2014, 08:11 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Just thought I would try the fiberglass on this one and have used water based clear polyurethane

I will try a second coat with baby powder mixed with it ... if nothing else ... it will smell nice

If this doesn't work, I will water down some lightweight spakfilla and simply brush it on .... this will do the job OK

I don't usually go to this kind of trouble finishing my models, I usually cover with shrink film or coloured packaging tape, but wanted to try and make this one a little less prone to knocks ... plus its not easy to cover a WW2 airplane with shrink film, it just wouldn't look right

Heck, I have even gone to the trouble of using proper pin type hinges on the control surfaces on this one where I would normally use clear packaging tape and have used this method on most of my models, and haven't had one fail yet

And on the subject of finishing / painting, I still can't decide what colour to do it ... painting has never been one of my strong points and I don't have the patience to spend hours and hours painting and masking etc

MIG-15 is the only other one I have gone to any trouble with finishing, and I stuffed that up by using too BIG numbers, but generally I am happy with it

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 25, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Jul 25, 2014, 09:54 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
... painting has never been one of my strong points and I don't have the patience to spend hours and hours painting and masking etc

Lockey
This is usually the mark of death for my planes: if I take the time to paint it, the next flight is its' demise.
If I want any kind of longevity they best remain predominately white.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
This is usually the mark of death for my planes: if I take the time to paint it, the next flight is its' demise.
If I want any kind of longevity they best remain predominately white.
Oh dear Grant, is that the big one you have crashed ? ... what happened ?

Yes mate I agree, I am afraid to fly the MIG since I painted her

Where have you been mate, I have missed you ... are you going to have a go at the Mossie ?

By the way, I have ordered more .5 oz cloth and some of this (see pic) which I have used before (not cheap to buy here in Oz, but hey .. who cares ) ... think this is what I used on the Mig

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Jul 26, 2014, 02:49 AM
Warbirds Lover
Very nice Mig.
The easiest way to paint warbirds with right colors , imho, is to use some acrylic paintings for plastic models kit.
Spray (tamyia have some colors in can spray) or airbrush or here again our famous little foam rollers.

Have a good week-end !
Nota : covering films are rather easy to use but... VERY heavy...
Jul 26, 2014, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Very nice Mig.
The easiest way to paint warbirds with right colors , imho, is to use some acrylic paintings for plastic models kit.
Spray (tamyia have some colors in can spray) or airbrush or here again our famous little foam rollers.

Have a good week-end !
Nota : covering films are rather easy to use but... VERY heavy...
Thanks again DC, I will have to look out for the foam for rollers, I haven't seen them here in Oz

Done a little more fiberglass on top of the wings and the fuselage, bottom of the wings came out real nice

Lockey
Jul 26, 2014, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
When making a wing with 6 mm Depron, I have noticed that the spar/s (and ribs) always seem to show through AND leave a flat section at the front ... and 3 mm Depron is a lot worse

Seems to me that the answer would be to leave out the ribs and simply have a couple more spars to help make the shape

I do like Depron airfoil wings, they do improve a models looks and flying and are relatively easy to make ... AND they are very strong made this way

Even with lots of ribs, the spar line still shows through

Please tell me YOUR thoughts

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 26, 2014 at 09:25 PM.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:03 AM
Jer. 29:11
Quote:
When making a wing with 6 mm Depron, I have noticed that the spar/s (and ribs) always seem to show through AND leave a flat section at the front ... and 3 mm Depron is a lot worse

Seems to me that the answer would be to leave out the ribs and simply have a couple more spars to help make the shape

I do like Depron airfoil wings, they do improve a models looks and flying and are relatively easy to make ... AND they are very strong made this way

Even with lots of ribs, the spar line still shows through

Please tell me YOUR thoughts

Lockey
Sounds promising.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
Looking good Jeff, I think I decided to cut this bit off on the bottom part of the wing (see pic) and have taken it off on the plans

What size is the MPF full sheets Jeff ? I can't get full sheets sent to Oz, the biggest ones I can get is about 1000 x 300 mm

If you are making the wings separate top and bottom ... then I think I would be inclined to put a leading edge on to make it easier to join the 2 and forget about trying to bend / roll the front, looks like (from your picture) that is wasn't that much short, I think I would have gone with that and maybe made a bit bigger wing tip

But not to worry mate, looks like you are doing a very nice job

If I were you, I would add another spar (Depron) at the front, and remove the front part of the centre rib ... see pics

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:47 AM
Jer. 29:11
Quote:
What size is the MPF full sheets Jeff ? I can't get full sheets sent to Oz, the biggest ones I can get is about 1000 x 300 mm
2 ft x 4 ft.

Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, and the plans!
Jul 27, 2014, 05:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
2 ft x 4 ft.

Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, and the plans!
You are very welcome mate, you are doing a great job, Depron I get is 39.37" x 27.56" not quite as long as your MPF but a little wider

I did a bit more today

Lockey
Jul 27, 2014, 07:16 AM
Looks great! What's the span on the Mossie?
Jul 27, 2014, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes
Looks great! What's the span on the Mossie?
Thanks mate, wing span is 1340 mm (52.75 inches)

Lockey
Jul 28, 2014, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Done a little more on the build, all parts fiberglassed and nacelles fitted to the wing

Fiberglassing is quite a slow job, but it sure has made all the parts a lot stronger without adding a lot of weight

Lockey

Quick Reply