Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 24, 2014, 01:56 AM
Lockey, the only thing near as good, not quite as good as the links, you gave would be to go to Auckland, New Zealand where they are building Mosquitos. The most recently finished was last year, flew in NZ and then shipped to USA. I believe it might still be for sale by the original buyer in USA. There are more (2, 3?) on the way to being built.

Rolling in 2 halves makes sense not to try following De Havilland's procedure.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2014, 08:34 AM
Jer. 29:11
Looking good.

About power, how about 370-class motors? What size prop would be scale (or would fit between the nacelles and the fuse)?
Jul 24, 2014, 07:54 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Looking good.

About power, how about 370-class motors? What size prop would be scale (or would fit between the nacelles and the fuse)?
Thanks Jeff, what is a 370 class motor? any chance of a link to one (or more) on HK

Plenty of room between nacelle and fuselage to swing up to around 11 " prop is needed but I would think around 9" would be about right, I will probably go with 8" for testing

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Jul 24, 2014, 08:23 PM
The Mossie is looking great Tony, will try and catch up with you when I am in Perth again.
Cheers Kev.
Jul 24, 2014, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1
The Mossie is looking great Tony, will try and catch up with you when I am in Perth again.
Cheers Kev.
Thanks Kev, look forward to catching up again mate

Hey .... this one would be a good one for you to cut on your foam cutter

Lockey
Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM
Lockey, I've been getting my electronics of late from Heads Up RC. They group motors using an older system of classification. Here's their list of 370-450 class motors. For comparison, the 300 class motors are sometimes called Blue Wonder motors.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/370-450-Class_c252.htm

I'm not savvy enough to convert between the different motor systems (at least not yet).
Jul 24, 2014, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Lockey, I've been getting my electronics of late from Heads Up RC. They group motors using an older system of classification. Here's their list of 370-450 class motors. For comparison, the 300 class motors are sometimes called Blue Wonder motors.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/370-450-Class_c252.htm

I'm not savvy enough to convert between the different motor systems (at least not yet).
I'm not big on electrics either mate but I would say they look very similar to the ones I used on my Vader One ... http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-G-540.htm

Think I will go with this motor (or should I say motors) ... SUNNYSKY X2208-1500KV .. with 8" props http://www.hobbytech.com.au/products...trunner-motor/ ...

I have run bench tests on these and they seem very good, I have also used these on my Vader One and it has bags of thrust

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Jul 25, 2014, 05:47 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi Lockey !

Interesting, i was thinking about to cover a foamy Me-109E with the same kind of fiber glass cloth.
Do you plan to wrap your mossie with only one fiber glass layer, or more ?

i look forward the results (how many weight increase, is this hardened enough the foam, and so on..)

Keep on the good job on this "wooden" wonder !

best regards
Jul 25, 2014, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hi Lockey !

Interesting, i was thinking about to cover a foamy Me-109E with the same kind of fiber glass cloth.
Do you plan to wrap your mossie with only one fiber glass layer, or more ?

i look forward the results (how many weight increase, is this hardened enough the foam, and so on..)

Keep on the good job on this "wooden" wonder !

best regards
Thanks DC, Just the one layer of glass I think, its the first one I have done all over, I did the fuselage on my EDF MIG-15 and was very pleased with the result

Just wanted to make this one a little nicer and protect it from hanger rash etc, I just hope that she flies good

Damn ... I forgot to weigh before and after the glass covering to see what extra it added ... I am expecting it to come out AUW around 1.2 kg ... maybe a little more

Lockey
Jul 25, 2014, 09:29 AM
Lockey, thanks for the pointers on motors.

What binding agent are you using with the fiberglass? Resin? Thinned? Water-based polyurethane? Other?
Jul 25, 2014, 09:49 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thanks DC, Just the one layer of glass I think, its the first one I have done all over, I did the fuselage on my EDF MIG-15 and was very pleased with the result

Just wanted to make this one a little nicer and protect it from hanger rash etc, I just hope that she flies good

Damn ... I forgot to weigh before and after the glass covering to see what extra it added ... I am expecting it to come out AUW around 1.2 kg ... maybe a little more

Lockey
You will find one layer of .5 oz. glass very hard to fill and finish. Two, properly applied, add very little extra weight as the weave fills very easily on the second layer... and you have something there to sand for a perfect finish.

Tom

PS: Epoxy, properly applied, is just as light as any of the substitutes mentioned and MUCH stronger, harder, and stiffer. Also, a lot of people are calling the product they use here in the States (MinWax polycrylic) a "WBPU" and it is not. It is an acrylic based coating and even softer than real WBPU.

Also, all the coatings that people try and substitute for epoxy resin soften tremendously here in the Florida sun. And since half my family live in W.A. (Mandurah and Perth) I know it gets hot there too.
Last edited by T_om; Jul 25, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:23 AM
Tom, thanks for the extra info!
Jul 25, 2014, 11:26 AM
Warbirds Lover
if that can help : When i build with foam covered with epoxy and fiber glass i use 1 gram of epoxy for 1 dmē.
Epoxy must be very fluid and i apply it with a small foam roller.

@ lockey : thanks a lot for your answer !
i'm sure she will be a nice flyer.

Quick Reply