Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 21, 2014, 08:09 AM
Where did you find the prints for this, would love to give this a go.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2014, 08:53 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss5031
Where did you find the prints for this, would love to give this a go.

Its my design Keith, I have not yet posted the plans until a couple of us have built and flown this model, if you really would like to have a go at the prototype, send me you email and I will send you the plans

Would love it too if you would fill in your profile so we can all see who and where you are located in the world

Quote:
Thanks Lockey comming from you the expert means a lot ! Here is a PVC pipe rack I made to help with all the planes/jets storage dilemma . It holds over 50 builds suspended with string, wire or bungee cords.
Mate, I am no expert, just a guy who like to design and build planes and share the plans for others to build ... I like your "model wardrobe" what a great idea

Lockey
Jul 21, 2014, 09:24 AM
Bipes Rule!

Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Its my design Keith, I have not yet posted the plans until a couple of us have built and flown this model, if you really would like to have a go at the prototype, send me you email and I will send you the plans

Would love it too if you would fill in your profile so we can all see who and where you are located in the world

Mate, I am no expert, just a guy who like to design and build planes and share the plans for others to build ... I like your "model wardrobe" what a great idea .

As for you being an Expert I believe you are. I try and build like you do . My builds turn out as eye candy but internally they aren't as beautiful or clean as yours always are. Hats off to you my Mentor!!! Build more WWI planes

Lockey
Very funny Lockey " Model Wardrobe" . Necessity was the Mother of invention here...... It was the only way to convince the wife that building more planes wouldn't be a problem or finding space for them
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; Jul 21, 2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Spell
Jul 21, 2014, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER
Very funny Lockey " Model Wardrobe" . Necessity was the Mother of invention here...... It was the only way to convince the wife that building more planes wouldn't be a problem or finding space for them

Mate, by the look of things, you have a very understanding wife ... even helps you build

Lockey
Jul 21, 2014, 06:15 PM
Bipes Rule!
My wives father built R/C planes and was President of the R/C club while she was growing up. She claims they were never able to eat at the kitchen table cause there was always a plane build on it. I got luckey. That's not why I married her just a great bonus!
Jul 22, 2014, 04:48 AM
Thread OP
More build today but need some more glue now before I can do much more

I have been using the free stuff that comes with some kits and CA but need to wait now for my delivery of UHU Por, its the best I can get here in Oz

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 22, 2014 at 07:05 AM.
Jul 22, 2014, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
After building the fuselage tubes, I find that they are a little flexible, so am going to add longitudinal formers to the plans, don't think I will change the one I have built though as I am intending to use fiberglass cloth as a skin anyway

2 front tubes will slide on to the skeleton from the front, and the back 2 tubes will slide on from the back before fitting the tail fin and horizontal stab

Lockey
Jul 22, 2014, 09:46 AM
Jer. 29:11
Quote:
Were some of the formers too small? or did you just cut them a bit on the small side ? do I need to make them a tad bigger ?
A tad bigger would be good for the MPF builders.

Quote:
What glue are you using?
http://bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/foamcure.html

Similar to FoamTac, I can get this at the local hobby shop, and it's quite affordable. (I also use polyurethane (foaming) glues.)

Having fun so far!
Jul 22, 2014, 08:13 PM
Jer. 29:11
Quote:
By the way Jeff, I like the way you rolled the foam with the 2 pieces of dowel, what diameter is the dowel ? and how did you do it ? looks like a good idea

Lockey
The dowels I happened to have to hand are 1" and 1/2" diameter. I may decide to lay in a stock of dowels of various sizes for just such work.
Jul 22, 2014, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the updates Jeff, how is your build going ?

I have ordered some UHU Por, sounds similar to Foam-Cure, it is similar to Foam-Tac but takes longer to dry

I HATE the foaming type glues

I used Depron for the formers and MPF for the outer skin ... I found that the formers (apart form the front one which was a lot too small) were about right, but after sanding the edges to finish them off, they WERE just a little small

I will make them a bit bigger as they do need to be a nice tight fit to keep the shape .... although ... if we are about to use the longitudinal formers, this will not be quite as important

After sleeping on it, I am debating whether I should remove one end of each section and add longitudinal formers as the tubes do feel a little soft and squashy ... will keep you posted ... I think the reason for this is the MPF is quite a bit softer than Depron ... lot easier to roll though without the need for taping the outer

I am making the wings from Depron and they are quite rigid in comparison

By the way, I see there were 2 designs of cockpit (see pics) ... from what I can see, the pointed front one was on the later ones

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 22, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Jul 23, 2014, 09:39 AM
treefinder
Following your builds with interest (i'm about due for another twin!). I have done a few rolled fuse designs in MPF with generally no internals from wing TE to tail surfaces, and had no structure issues. That was until the Spitfire. I think the tall, narrow cross section would "fold" when i doinked her and fracture vertically at the "fold" line. The final solution was the horizontal piece you are pomdering. I think a circular cross section will have adequate bending strength, butthe cormer is good cheap insurance!
Jul 23, 2014, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for your comments Springer, I have now re-drawn the plans to include internal formers

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Jul 23, 2014, 03:20 PM
Had you thought of doing the fuselage in two pieces, split lengthwise, a port and starboard side? This is how the "real" one was built. This allowed all the internals, wiring hydraulics etc. to be fitted easily. I think also you might see some strengthing bits fitted to the aft end of the fuselage on some real ones too. My books are in NZ and I'm in the UK so no comfirmation for a few weeks yet.

Lockey and Springer you really are a nusiance, I'm now going to have to build the Mosquito as well as the Spitfire..... Life's tough....
Jul 23, 2014, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
Had you thought of doing the fuselage in two pieces, split lengthwise, a port and starboard side? This is how the "real" one was built. This allowed all the internals, wiring hydraulics etc. to be fitted easily. I think also you might see some strengthing bits fitted to the aft end of the fuselage on some real ones too. My books are in NZ and I'm in the UK so no comfirmation for a few weeks yet.

Lockey and Springer you really are a nusiance, I'm now going to have to build the Mosquito as well as the Spitfire..... Life's tough....
Sure is a tough life Mac

Only thing I find with doing roll led sections in 2 halves is that they don't roll as good as when you roll the complete tube ... I find it is always the ENDS that don't roll enough

WHOOOOOOO my UHU Por arrived today so I can carry on building, I have been informed that the reason I can no longer get Foam-Tac is that it is classed as "dangerous goods" as it is a flammable item ... Bugger

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 23, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Jul 23, 2014, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Great info here

http://users.skynet.be/BAMRS/dh103/f...nstruction.htm

http://www.bamfbamrs.be/Bamrs/mosquito-en.htm

Lockey

Quick Reply