Jul 18, 2014, 09:12 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

de Havilland Mosquito

Hi Guys, after much discussion on another thread, here is the prototype Mosquito

Myself and another couple of guys will be building this one, hope you enjoy watching our builds

Dihedral is 4 degrees on each wing ... 44 mm under each wing top (or 88 mm total) ... see pic

The motor nacelles do not follow the dihedral, they are vertical so be careful to get the right nacelle on the right side, this is evident by the taper on the nacelle formers

I have the wing spars in 6 mm balsa, but foam and ply laminated (or similar) could be used

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 18, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2014, 09:13 AM
Reserved for plans and specs etc

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
Jul 18, 2014, 10:09 PM
Jer. 29:11

Getting started

Got the plans printed out. It's a wonderful feeling starting on a new model. There's nothing quite like new plans and a new box of foam to go with.
Last edited by jeffsch; Jul 27, 2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Jul 18, 2014, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Got the plans printed out. It's a wonderful feeling starting on a new model. There's nothing quite like new plans a new box of foam to go with.
Whooooo great stuff mate ... You building it ALL from MPF Jeff ? if so, be a little careful as all the notches etc are done for 6 mm Depron and I know the MPF is a little thinner

Look forward to seeing your build pics and please let me know if you find any mistakes or miss fitting parts

I will get the plans printed and parts cut out but can't start building till my Foam-Tac glue arrives from the US

By the way, don't want to tell you how to suck eggs, but I find the best way to drill holes in foam (small holes) is to use a brass tube (or similar ... I have lots of different sizes) sharpen the end and press and twist it through the foam, push out the bit left in the tube with a bit of wire or something and you are ready for the next hole ... make for a very clean and precise hole

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Jul 19, 2014, 09:58 AM
Jer. 29:11
Almost all from MPF; probably break out some Depron for the tail feathers. I'll cut the plan slots slightly undersized for a good fit.

Hope your glue arrives soon!

Good tip about the holes. Are the holes marked on the fuse formers for pushrod locations?

It looks like F2 is glued half way into the tube formed by No 1 skin and half way into the tube formed by No 2 skin. (Makes sense.) Why are there two F3 formers?

F4 and F5 look pretty similar. Does F4 go all the way into No 3 skin and abut F5 all the way into No 4 skin?

Edit: I completely missed that there are two F2 formers. I can see that the idea might have been to have a former for each end of each skin, so you could built it section-by-section, and then glue the two formers together to join a pair of sections. That said, it worked out well on the Foam Casualty F6F to share a former between skins, so I'll do that here too.
Last edited by jeffsch; Jul 19, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Jul 19, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hi Jeff, its looking great mate, sorry, I should have done a exploded veiw of the fuselage (as I did for the nacelles) done it now

Yes, I did extra formers so that there could be one in each side to build in sections and then glued together

Were some of the formers too small? or did you just cut them a bit on the small side ? do I need to make them a tad bigger ?

Good idea marking the centre of each one so that you know where the joint line goes ... I should have marked this on the formers

Line up holes are marked on each former

Yes, its a good idea to "mark" but leave any cut outs until after rolling as it makes for easier neater rolling

Also mate, good idea to leave the hatch till later, I was thinking to cut out the top section (above the wing) see pic ... this would also act as a hatch to fit the gear ... not sure where the battery will be located for correct CG

What glue are you using?

Anyway mate, looks like you are doing a very fine job and working out my mistakes and forgetfulnesses (is that actually a word ) I usually do this as I build and modify on the plans before posting .... sorry you have been thrown in at the deep end mate

It can't be easy working out what someone else has designed without proper instructions and info

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 19, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Jul 19, 2014, 09:41 PM
Once the fuselage is together and the top section taken off, it shouldn't be too difficult to use the same "tube drilling" technique to drill a hole through for the elevator and rudder (one each side) see pic ... then you can use either plastic snakes or simply wire push rods

Lockey

EDIT ... Got my plans printed today
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 20, 2014 at 01:27 AM.
Jul 20, 2014, 05:18 AM
Started cutting out a few bits today, have managed to roll the fuselage bits and now waiting for glue ... I have CA, but not keen about using CA glue on edges

I used a pin to mark the outline of the wing cutouts through the pattern on to the foam, and then marked them with pencil ready to cut out when I am ready

By the way Jeff, I like the way you rolled the foam with the 2 pieces of dowel, what diameter is the dowel ? and how did you do it ? looks like a good idea

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 20, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:31 PM
Bipes Rule!
Lockey are you running out of space to put your Jets/Planes??
Jul 20, 2014, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER
Lockey are you running out of space to put your Jets/Planes??
YES .. I need to sell some to recoup the cost of parts so I can build more

Lockey
Jul 20, 2014, 10:48 PM
Bipes Rule!

Hanger space

I am the same lol! I have cannibalized some of my older don't fly so much planes for parts. can't seem to stop building planes don't want to!
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Jul 21, 2014, 03:04 AM
I managed to start the build today BUT am not going to get my Foam-Tac anytime soon, it hasn't left the states yet and was ordered 16th June ... Bugger

I think I will be covering the parts with fiberglass cloth ... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...per_Thin_.html

I have not decided how I am going to fit the retract into the nacelles yet ??? ... any ideas guys

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 21, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Jul 21, 2014, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER
I am the same lol! I have cannibalized some of my older don't fly so much planes for parts. can't seem to stop building planes don't want to!
Me too mate, love your hanger Dennis ... you build some damn nice planes my friend

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 21, 2014 at 05:42 AM.
Jul 21, 2014, 07:50 AM
Bipes Rule!

Hanger

Thanks Lockey comming from you the expert means a lot ! Here is a PVC pipe rack I made to help with all the planes/jets storage dilemma . It holds over 50 builds suspended with string, wire or bungee cords.