Jul 17, 2014, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
New Product

DJI ZENMUSE Z15-GH4 FOR PANASONIC GH4 **Owners Thread**

Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) Introduction
Another Evolutionary 3-Axis Professional HD Gimbal

DJI Zenmuse Z15-GH4 Unboxing by 1UAS.com (2 min 22 sec)

How to assemble & install Zenmuse Z15-GH4 on S1000 by 1UAS.com (5 min 1 sec)

- For more information & order: http://1uas.com/DJI-Zenmuse-Z15-GH4-for-Panasonic-GH4
- For RTF S1000 & GH4: http://1uas.com/Ready-to-Fly-DJI-S10...dvance-Package

The DJI Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) gimbal, an upgraded version of the popular Zenmuse Z15-GH3, represents a breakthrough in Zenmuse precision, offering a control range of just 0.01. When used with a DJI professional aerial system, your Panasonic GH4/GH3 remains stable and under control even in strong winds and during intense maneuvers.

Built for the Panasonic GH4/GH3

Each Zenmuse is guaranteed to deliver nothing short of the best in camera control and stabilization. The Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) is built specifically for the the Panasonic GH4 and GH3, so either camera fits perfectly in the gimbal. The Panasonic GH4 is known for its digital film quality images and small body, making it ideal for aerial cinematography and photography. The Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) gimbal connects with your GH4 through a standard HDMI cable, but if you are using a Panasonic GH3 with the gimbal, please use the included GH3 HDMI cable.

HDMI-HD/AV Module

Weight is minimized by using a small video output module that allows you to control the camera shutter and other features while transforming the camera’s HDMI signal into a first-person-view AV signal. Wiring has been kept to a minimum to further reduce weight. You can easily switch between HD and AV output, and the system works perfectly with the DJI Lightbridge HD digital video downlink.

3-Axis Rotation Control

The 3-axis Zenmuse gimbal system’s creative mechanical design makes control through the transmitter stick both intuitive and easy. A tail potentiometer greatly increases control, stability and precision, while internal slip rings avoid complicated wiring. Both power and signal lines have been integrated into gimbal’s tubes, resulting in a completely unhindered control axis that offers a maximum yaw of 360, pitch of +50/-140 and a roll of 40.

A Total Solution

The Zenmuse Z15-GH4 (HD) is ideal for the S800 EVO and S1000 flight platform and works with other DJI products including the A2 and WooKong-M multirotor flight controllers and Ace series of helicopter flight controllers. Used with the DJI Lightbridge HD digital video downlink or an iOSD Mark II and a 5.8G video link, it is a Total Solution for aerial photography and cinematography. Multiple Control Modes Three camera control modes are offered to maximize creativity and ease of flight. Orientation-locked, Non Orientation-locked and Back to Mid-point (Horizontal). All three modes can be switched between, quickly and easily in line with the needs of each shoot.

Gimbal Servo Drive Module

What gives every Zenmuse its precision is our specially designed Gimbal Servo Drive Module. Each of these is tailored to the weight and balance of the camera it has been designed to move. This significantly improves control and stability, maximizes torque, while minimizing vibration.

Built-In Independent IMU Module

A new stabilizing algorithm providing more stability than ever before and extremely precise induction devices combine to create effortless attitude control. With these in place, the S1000 needs no extra equipment installation or wiring, making it easier to get shooting faster.

Last edited by thangchelsea; Oct 30, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2014, 09:38 AM
Hi I a new user of DJI s900 + A2 and Z15 Gh4

I want to control S900 and gimbal from one controller (Futaba SG14). So I
need one pilot solution for A2

I have got 8 channel recever with Sbus for Futaba 14SG

how can I do this?

please help.
Aug 28, 2014, 03:05 PM
AMA Member since 1986
My Z15/GH4 Combo has been working flawlessly. I just got the Panasonic 20mm lens. Any reason the pic, below, would have any problems? It balances flawlessly, the camera is tight against the bracket, and the camera/lens doesn't touch or interfere. Calibrates fine.

Thought I'd ask before a test flight, in the event there's something I've overlooked.

Aug 31, 2014, 09:18 AM
I just purchase the S900 with GH4 and would also like to know if you can use the Futaba 14SG as a single pilot operator pilot. How many channels can be used with the A2 receiver from the 14SG.

I have also heard that you can't bind two receivers in FASST mode on the 14SG. Example Bind to the A2 receiver and a Futaba R7008SB at the same time to have all 14 channels. Thanks for any help on this!
Aug 31, 2014, 09:28 AM
www.JonSmithers.com

Z15-GH4 Parts

Where can somebody get parts? I would like to get the top plates that mounts gimbals to the S series UAVs.

Thanks for any info on this

Cheers, Jon
Last edited by gtojon; Aug 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Aug 31, 2014, 10:59 AM
AMA Member since 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmphoto
I just purchase the S900 with GH4 and would also like to know if you can use the Futaba 14SG as a single pilot operator pilot. How many channels can be used with the A2 receiver from the 14SG.

I have also heard that you can't bind two receivers in FASST mode on the 14SG. Example Bind to the A2 receiver and a Futaba R7008SB at the same time to have all 14 channels. Thanks for any help on this!
With only the A2 in single operator configuration, you'll have 3 channels available to control the gimbal. Usually, this is tilt, shutter, and one other of your choice (usually either pan or gimbal mode). You'll connect these channels to the Gimbal with servo jumper cables between ports F2, F3, and F4 on the A2 to the appropriate servo input on the GCU. Note, you're already using port F1 for the retracts on the S900.

If you go with the Lightbridge, you'll realistically get 5 channels of gimbal control via the Futaba 14SG in single operator mode. The 14SG provides 12 channels of control over the trainer cord, and 7 of these are needed for full flight control functions. Note that the trainer cord is the required connection method with Lightbridge. Also, with Lightbridge, you have the option of a second transmitter for a gimbal operator, and in that case, you have a full 8 channels available for GH4 gimbal control, via the dual trainer cord provided with the Lightbridge.

The GH4 gimbal has been optimized for Lightbridge use, and has several features that are exclusive to the Lightbridge, such as HD output and downlink, S-Bus control of the GH4 GCU, and very easy 2-cable connection and setup. I highly recommend using the Lightbridge with the gimbal. I use the GH4 gimbal with the 14SG and Lightbridge as a single operator. Works great. I've done some special programming to optimize my control, couldn't be happier.
Last edited by diablo2112; Aug 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112
My Z15/GH4 Combo has been working flawlessly. I just got the Panasonic 20mm lens. Any reason the pic, below, would have any problems? It balances flawlessly, the camera is tight against the bracket, and the camera/lens doesn't touch or interfere. Calibrates fine.

Thought I'd ask before a test flight, in the event there's something I've overlooked.

The support bracket (might) be esential. In alot of chinese gimbals that reinforcement makes a huge difference in vibrations and stability. So even if it balances perfectly that *could* be necesary. Test it out and make sure the motors arent running too hot.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:42 AM
Ok I don't have either the GH4 or the Zenmuse gimbal but I am looking at the numbers and wondering why? My understanding is that you have a 2x crop factor with the GH4, making the 20mm lens a 40mm (in 35mm sensor equivalent). The Olympus 12mm equals 24mm with the crop factor figured in.

Do you really want to fly with a 40mm lens? That seems like a rather tight field of view for aerial work. I also wonder if with that lens you will see gimbal movements in the resulting video.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:53 AM
AMA Member since 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo
Ok I don't have either the GH4 or the Zenmuse gimbal but I am looking at the numbers and wondering why? My understanding is that you have a 2x crop factor with the GH4, making the 20mm lens a 40mm (in 35mm sensor equivalent). The Olympus 12mm equals 24mm with the crop factor figured in.

Do you really want to fly with a 40mm lens? That seems like a rather tight field of view for aerial work. I also wonder if with that lens you will see gimbal movements in the resulting video.
Yes, in several circumstances I do. For example, I had an aerial shoot last week of a water tower demolition. Here's the link. I shot this with the 12mm lens. The 20mm would have been considerably better in this application.

TA 21 Water Tower Demolition (0 min 44 sec)

Anytime you're tracking or following a specific object on the ground, the 20mm is a better format than the 12mm. 12 is great for overall shots, environment, and most architecture. 20mm is better if you have to isolate the subject. YMMV.

Regarding gimbal movements: DJI claims pixel-level stabilization for 4K video on the Z15 with the 12mm. Just so happens, that's almost exactly the same level of stabilization needed for the 20mm at 1080p.
Aug 31, 2014, 10:21 PM
Thank you Diablo2112 for the detailed information on the 14SG and A2!
Sep 15, 2014, 10:32 AM
I got my GH4 last week. How are you guys securing the thin HDMI cable thatgoes into the camera? Mine wont tuck behing the bolt that holds the camera if it makes a loop behind the camera it keeps catching on if I pan down

Love the gimbal but this cable sucks
Sep 15, 2014, 12:58 PM
The cable tucks under the camera. On the rear section of the camera tray you will see the mounting slots for the cable. I used a heat gun to soften the cable so it was easier to work with
Sep 15, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112

How did this work out for you? I plan on doing the same thing.
Sep 15, 2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmphoto

The 14SG only has 12 available channels. If you are using 8 for your RC control with the A2 Rx then it gives you 4 for gimbal control. Note that these channels have to be configured to F1-4 aka D1-4 in Assistant. If you are using F1 for your retracts that will only give you 3 channels. The option is to use 2 Rx, one on sBus and the other on sBus2.
Sep 15, 2014, 02:14 PM
So I installed and updated everything today on my S1000 A2 Lightbridge GH4 Z15.

Well when I turn on the S1000.. the gimbal does it's roll, roll, spin tilt dance.. but then it spins to 8 o'clock front straight from the aircraft...then tilts straight down!

I have no idea why it's doing this. The controls on the lightbridge show my second controller as changing the roll, tilt, pan but it doesn't control anything when moving the sticks.

Any idea?

Quick Reply