Jul 22, 2014, 05:25 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Thinking more and more about this little bird.
I might go with a 24 gram Blue wonder motor, 12 amp esc, D47 servos.
Oh.... and 3s 460 NanoTech Batteries.
She looks like a yellow Decatholon. I'm sure she'll look good on 3s.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Thinking more and more about this little bird.
I might go with a 24 gram Blue wonder motor, 12 amp esc, D47 servos.
Oh.... and 3s 460 NanoTech Batteries.
She looks like a yellow Decatholon. I'm sure she'll look good on 3s.
On a 3S pack, you are probably looking at a 1300kV version with a 7x5 prop:

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/63

That will net you a very strong 119W/lb with a pitch speed of 42mph. At 13oz thrust, you should have good vertical as thrust to weight is well above parity (1.44:1). That's should be good for some aerobatics. If that isn't enough, you can probably increase the pitch to 7x6 and exercise some throttle management.

Be sure to get an ESC with the larger 2A BEC. The Hobbywing 12A also sold as the Turnigy Plush is a good choice. I have run many with 4 servo setups without issue.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 23, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Jul 23, 2014, 09:00 PM
The Earth got in the way!
Here's my L4 Grasshopper on a 3s450 with 280.
E-Flite Grasshopper (4 min 45 sec)
Jul 23, 2014, 10:06 PM
Nice Vid Kuczy.
You can certainly do things on 3s that you can't on 2s.
Full vertical, strong wide loops, inverted with authority... even a convincing hammerhead.
and then you slow it down for nice scale flying.
The best of all worlds.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
The Earth got in the way!
Thanks!

Yep. Really relaxing scale flying and then really sporty.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:22 PM
This size is perfect for that.
I have a nice flying area around my neighborhood. Houses..yes but they're really spread apart so general street flying, especially on a calm late afternoon/pre-dusk is just so enjoyable.
While I really like my L4 Grasshopper, I'm not too keen on the green/military garb.
The yellow of this bird makes it an easy spotter even in low light.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I'm not too keen on the green/military garb.
The yellow of this bird makes it an easy spotter even in low light.
It's not that hard to change to a different color if you want. I could probably strip one down and re-cover in half a day.

Or you could do what I did, I stripped all the decals (yes, they all come off) and added a simple pin stripe. The only thing I couldn't fix easily was the aileron door covers as they are white while the wing underside is grey.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Jul 26, 2014, 04:18 AM
The sky is my playground.
Any reason this motor wouldn't work?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...kv-EFLM1155#t1

I really don't wish to reverse another 250 shaft. I think I bent two before I got it right with the L4.
Jul 26, 2014, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine View Post
Any reason this motor wouldn't work?
That motor might be a bit too powerful, it is also considerably heavier than the Park 250 which could cause CG issues.

I suggested the Park 280 earlier which should drop right in with little modification. Perhaps just remove one of the motor mount spacers. It also has an extended 2mm shaft so you don't have to modify it.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 26, 2014 at 05:39 AM.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:28 AM
The key to drifting a motor shaft is using a small brass hammer or punch (you can get them at Hobby Lobby...Jewelry section). Rest the motor on a vise with only enough room for the shaft to go through. The brass is the key...it won't bend the shaft...a steel hammer or punch will almost every time. It's really not hard to do with the right tools.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:35 AM
One other thing is the servos...the ones that are recommended are junk (I got 4 for a plane and 3 where bad. The reviews on HH website are terrible as well)...I use the JR S185"s in my EF 150. They are only 6 grams each and are bullet proof.

Edit: I am a fan and customer of HH and am not trying to knock them (I got my JR's from them), but the truth will stand til the world falls, and while most of their products are stellar, the DS35's are not.
Last edited by Adam Stang; Jul 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:02 PM
I like a motor with a 3mm shaft.
Those 2mm shafts on the 250 and 280 bend so easily.
Jul 26, 2014, 05:33 PM
The sky is my playground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
That motor might be a bit too powerful, it is also considerably heavier than the Park 250 which could cause CG issues.

I suggested the Park 280 earlier which should drop right in with little modification. Perhaps just remove one of the motor mount spacers. It also has an extended 2mm shaft so you don't have to modify it.
Yeah, thanks for that. I had checked out the 280 but wasn't sure about what the motor mount looked like I comparison to the 250. I hate to order it and it takes a good bit of modifying to make work...or something else. Some times in my life it seems if it isn't one thing wrong, it's at least five others waiting in line. Thanks for the help. I'll order up a 280 to go along with this. Pretty sure I already have some servos and I have a AR400 kicking around. AS3X doesn't do much for me.
Jul 27, 2014, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang View Post
One other thing is the servos...the ones that are recommended are junk (I got 4 for a plane and 3 where bad. The reviews on HH website are terrible as well)...I use the JR S185"s in my EF 150. They are only 6 grams each and are bullet proof.
As i stated earlier, I used the DS35's and wasn't too pleased.

The JR S185's are a fantastic servo. I use them in my Pat Tritle designed Ultimate Biplane. Small, VERY fast, and smooth running. They are an excellent albeit more expensive servo. With every penny IMHO.

Note: If you plan on using the recommended AS3X receiver, Spektrum states you need to use digital servos. JR makes a digital version of the S185, the DS188.
Jul 27, 2014, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post

Note: If you plan on using the recommended AS3X receiver, Spektrum states you need to use digital servos. JR makes a digital version of the S185, the DS188.
Yes...you have to use digital with all gyro or accelerometer systems.

And if you do use the recommended AS3X receiver you will have to solder micro connecters on the DS188's or make your own adapter leads. (HH makes an adapter from a micro servo lead to a regular servo lead, but not the other way around) I plan on using an AR400 or AR600 with the S185's (can't decide if I want to y the ailerons or not) I use the AR400 in my EF 150 and the extra weight of the servos and receiver is a non issue...she still flies beautifully and slows down very predictably.

Adam

Quick Reply