Jul 19, 2014, 09:20 PM
The Earth got in the way!
The L4 on 3s 450's and with the 280 was a lot of fun. I didn't have the wing problem with mine.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2014, 11:08 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Yeahp!!
Jul 19, 2014, 11:20 PM
DFS#000178
Had they done this with the 450-sized Cub, I'd be all over it.

The 250's just too small for my current interests.

This is what, Cub #8 or #9 in Horizon's current lineup?
Jul 19, 2014, 11:26 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
The 250's just too small for my current interests.

This is what, Cub #8 or #9 in Horizon's current lineup?
Yes but it's balsa.
And 30" wing span.
Lots of places to fly her
Jul 19, 2014, 11:28 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Size doesn't matter... (?) !!!
Jul 19, 2014, 11:33 PM
It's not the size of the wing that matters ...
It's the magic inside....
As those who have small wings say
Jul 19, 2014, 11:35 PM
So when is this bird coming out?
Jul 20, 2014, 11:59 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Yes but it's balsa.
So is the Grasshopper, the 450 Cub, the H9 40-sized Cub, the EFlite Super Cub, the 1/4 Super Cub.. The Pacer's basically a side-by-side 4-place Cub..

I like the looks of this plane and I'm glad Horizon's putting out some really nice models, but it really really feels like they're in safe-mode right now. Cubs and Mustangs and re-issues of old airframes.

If this was based on the 450, I'd be all over it.

If I was gonna' go 250-sized I'd probably get the Aerobat, just because it's the only thing in that size that's actually different.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:03 AM
Quote:
So is the Grasshopper, the 450 Cub, the H9 40-sized Cub, the EFlite Super Cub, the 1/4 Super Cub.. The Pacer's basically a side-by-side 4-place Cub..
Yes, except for the L4, which I have and love, the others are indeed balsa but they're not sub 30" WS.
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jul 21, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Jul 21, 2014, 01:11 PM
Quote:
If this was based on the 450, I'd be all over it.

If I was gonna' go 250-sized I'd probably get the Aerobat, just because it's the only thing in that size that's actually different.
I still yearn for the 150 Aerobat. I may just break down and buy one at some point as trike gear models of this scale are almost non-existent (kit or otherwise).

There was also the old Taylorcraft 450... that was also a clipped wing. I owned one for awhile but found it was a bit too fast for the small field I fly from. Nice classy looking plane though.

Back to the Cub...

I notice they are recommending the AR6335 AS3X receiver. The stabilization should really help with such a small model in windy conditions. I'm not very fond of the recommended DS35 servos though, I used them on one model and found they tend to oscillate badly. I replaced the offending servo and it went away. The clip on servo mounts are also clumsy to install. I would try the Spektrum A2020's instead.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 21, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:14 PM
Right Rudder
Very Nice!

Love clipped wing!
Jul 22, 2014, 09:38 AM
AMA 34191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-EFL5055#t2

Hmmmm...........very pretty, indeed.

Wonder what the all-up $$$$ is likely to be.

Just ordered!

Plane + Recommended Receiver and 4 servos is $263.
I already have that motor and ESC.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgar Vulture View Post
Plane + Recommended Receiver and 4 servos is $263.
I already have that motor and ESC.
Once you include the motor, ESC, servo extensions and prop, it's around $355. Just add a battery and fly.
Jul 22, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'm worried that it won't fly well without an AS3X RX. Cliped wing Cubs are very short coupled, and can have bad manners. All these new horizon planes are recomending AS3X recievers, but they're wayyyyy too expensive for me; especially when you can get a nock off DSMX RX for less than $10... Thoughts?
Jul 22, 2014, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28pc View Post
I'm worried that it won't fly well without an AS3X RX. Cliped wing Cubs are very short coupled, and can have bad manners. All these new horizon planes are recomending AS3X recievers, but they're wayyyyy too expensive for me; especially when you can get a nock off DSMX RX for less than $10... Thoughts?
The L-4 was a reasonably stable plane to start with. Although I have never flown the clipped wing Cub I cannot imagine it being much harder to fly. I've owned short coupled planes like the GeeBee D and it flew just fine without AS3X.

I can understand the need to keep costs low, but honestly is it worth it? I gave up on most HK parts long ago due to generally poor quality control and non-existent product support. The radio system is something you do not want to cheap out on. I've had a couple of HK servos (HXT500's) fail in flight, that was enough for me. You can buy something like the Hitec HS-55 servos and the AR400 RX for just a few dollars more and have some peace of mind, not to mention excellent product support.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 22, 2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply