This thread is privately moderated by ElGuano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 16, 2014, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
New Product

DJI 9450 Self-tightening props (pics)

The 9450s have arrived! Big thanks out to Dr. Turbo for the opportunity to test these out! My favorite part? They're called the "Thrust Boosted Version"

A few comparison pics and measurements against a standard retail set of E300 9443 whites (I still can't believe how many of these I have, and whether I'll be pushed to replace the whole lot):

Packaging

Close-up of label:

Unwrapped (the 9450s are a tad yellower, probably due to plastic batches rather than intentional dying:

View of the profile - I may be holding them a bit askew, but the 9450s definitely have a bit more bite to the trailing edge:

Closeup to show the 9450s seem a bit thinner and more aggressively angled at the root:

Measurement at the root (note this isn't the actual width of the blade since the face is angled, it merely illustrates the difference in profile:

Measurement at the widest part of the plate (again, not the actual width since the 9450s are angled more steeply):

I haven't had a chance to fly them yet, but I'll try a test flight today, and hopefully try to get a back to back fast-descent test (manual mode descent?), and hover-time test before the weekend is through.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2014, 09:49 PM
Jul 17, 2014, 01:01 AM
Thread OP

Quick test flight: 9443s take roughly 20% over center to hover in manual, 9450s take about 10-15%. Noticeable difference. I'll try hover duration next.
Last edited by ElGuano; Jul 17, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Jul 28, 2014, 02:15 PM
Made in Germany
Great idea with the caliper,ElGuano, its so hard to notice from the distance,

that I destroyed one of my grey ones to notice the difference

I like, that the 9450 are coming significantly stiffer (Is this the right word?)
Jul 29, 2014, 02:05 AM
Thread OP
Haha nicely done. I should have taken precise pictures and superimposed them like you did.

Yes, the 9450s are a LOT stiffer. I actually really like the super thin grays, but realize that there aren't a lot of other props like that out there. The 1038s are stiffer, and thr e600 props are also very stiff.
Jul 29, 2014, 06:58 AM

Great info

Nice job on the info. Now where do we purchase these?
Jul 29, 2014, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
were are you getting them from. thanks
Jul 30, 2014, 03:04 AM
Always Excel >>>
Excellent info. When can we get them?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Not sure, I think they should be released very soon, assuming they're not already out. I would call and ask your shop if they plan to stock any.
Aug 14, 2014, 11:09 AM
Suspended Account
its a joke. I have asked HD & Atlanta hobby. both don't know any thing about them. if anyone has a link for these props please post ,, thanks
Aug 14, 2014, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Dr. Turbo says there are thousands of pairs being sent out now, so it should be imminent! Also, that DJI would well them direct from their website soon...
Aug 14, 2014, 04:51 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano
Dr. Turbo says there are thousands of pairs being sent out now, so it should be imminent! Also, that DJI would well them direct from their website soon...
ElGuano, in another thread where I was asking if I want to upgrade my P1.1.1 props, you suggested to wait for these. This was before you did testing on them. Do you still feel they are good upgrades to move to?

Thanks!
Aug 14, 2014, 06:50 PM
Thread OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat
ElGuano, in another thread where I was asking if I want to upgrade my P1.1.1 props, you suggested to wait for these. This was before you did testing on them. Do you still feel they are good upgrades to move to?

Thanks!

Hi Ben,

Here's where I landed on the 9450s:

I fly near sea level; and I've never had a p1 or p2 with 9443s go into to VRS or uncontrolled descent. I'm also more careful than the average phantom pilot wrt the payload of my quad. In cases like this, the 9443s are just about perfect, they have no downsides other than not being great for sportier flying.

When I travel to altitude (5000+ft) the dynamics of the 9443s change dramatically, and I've also talked to testers who claimed the extra thrust from the 9450s provided better lift in thinner air. My sea-level testing in manual supports that but I haven't gone to mountains with them yet.

So at home, I leave on the 9443s. If I travel to altitude, I'll pack the 9450s instead. For flyers who are dealing with hover/lift problems or VRS on descent, I would definitely recommend trying the 9450s, they make quite for a difference in the air.
Aug 14, 2014, 07:50 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano
Hi Ben,

Here's where I landed on the 9450s:

I fly near sea level; and I've never had a p1 or p2 with 9443s go into to VRS or uncontrolled descent. I'm also more careful than the average phantom pilot wrt the payload of my quad. In cases like this, the 9443s are just about perfect, they have no downsides other than not being great for sportier flying.

When I travel to altitude (5000+ft) the dynamics of the 9443s change dramatically, and I've also talked to testers who claimed the extra thrust from the 9450s provided better lift in thinner air. My sea-level testing in manual supports that but I haven't gone to mountains with them yet.

So at home, I leave on the 9443s. If I travel to altitude, I'll pack the 9450s instead. For flyers who are dealing with hover/lift problems or VRS on descent, I would definitely recommend trying the 9450s, they make quite for a difference in the air.
Thank you Sir!
Aug 15, 2014, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pert
its a joke. I have asked HD & Atlanta hobby. both don't know any thing about them. if anyone has a link for these props please post ,, thanks
500 sets in route to us now, should be next Wed or Thursday if the wind don't blow ad the chain don't break.

Quick Reply