This thread is privately moderated by ModulusX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 15, 2014, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade 200QX on Taranis with Stagility

Just sharing out some screenshots of the OpenTX settings on the Taranis that I'm using for the Blade 200QX.
Since arming the motors can be such a pain.

I started with the 'Sticky Throttle Cut' profile. This provides Throttle Cut on SF, which is essential as the motors will otherwise spin until you pull the battery (or crash).

Modes
Low Rate - This is standard Low Rate Stability - Green LED
High Rate - High Rate Stability - Blue LED
Stagility - High Rate Stability with Agility when right stick is near endpoints.

Mixer
This just shows the channel mappings, and how to replace the CH5 mode value with a variable value in a different flight mode (3). Note that an offset of 20 is needed on the Throttle input.

Servos
This is crucial to getting the 200QX to arm properly, as it needs to see the proper limits to the 200QX, otherwise the flight controller doesn't see the transmitter at the 'bottom inside corners.'

Switches
Here is the Stagility hack, when in flight mode 3, the value of CS3 is sent to the 200QX, the value is set high when either aileron or elevator is near an endpoint. Experiment with these settings to find the best point. It's easy to rely on the stability and forget about the crash feature at the endpoints.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2014, 03:14 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Cool. I'll have to try this when I get my DSM2/DSMX hack module going. Still new to the Taranis, not even going to pretend that I comprehend those screens yet.
Jul 16, 2014, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
That's ok, I don't either, in fact I think you can reverse channels right from the servos page, but I always forget and do it through the mixer..
Jul 22, 2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks for posting these settings. They helped a lot.
I did find that my servo values for my aileron and elevator were slightly different from yours to fit into the right "us" range. After that my motors armed without a problem.
Stagility mode works but it enables from the low rate mode and manual mode kicks in at my endpoints like it should, though I figured it would be in the high rate mode initially like in my dx6i set up. I'm going to mess around with the settings more and see if I can figure out how to make it start in the high rate mode when I turn on stagility.
I'm also wondering if I can basically copy these settings for my nano qx as well. It'd be nice to have all my quads controlled with my taranis.
Jul 22, 2014, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Did you configure the flight modes on the mixer page? You can verify without flying by watching the channel outputs that are getting sent out, and also the mixer page will have the current sources in bold, which should change as you move SG. I'll double check my settings to make sure they're correct.

The nano qx is basically the same except that it doesn't need the arming crap, and I haven't found a good way to do stagility. The nano just wants a momentary press to switch between stability and agility, so we can't do an easy cheat like the 200.
Jul 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
I'll go over my mixer page and check the values for my modes. I'm finally starting to grasp all the different options for the Taranis.
There are some ppl working on stagility on the nano in this thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2166390
Haven't tried it yet but they seem to be going in the right direction.
Jul 31, 2014, 06:01 AM
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModulusX View Post
Just sharing out some screenshots of the OpenTX settings on the Taranis that I'm using for the Blade 200QX.
Since arming the motors can be such a pain.

I started with the 'Sticky Throttle Cut' profile. This provides Throttle Cut on SF, which is essential as the motors will otherwise spin until you pull the battery (or crash).

Modes
Low Rate - This is standard Low Rate Stability - Green LED
High Rate - High Rate Stability - Blue LED
Stagility - High Rate Stability with Agility when right stick is near endpoints.

Mixer
This just shows the channel mappings, and how to replace the CH5 mode value with a variable value in a different flight mode (3). Note that an offset of 20 is needed on the Throttle input.

Servos
This is crucial to getting the 200QX to arm properly, as it needs to see the proper limits to the 200QX, otherwise the flight controller doesn't see the transmitter at the 'bottom inside corners.'

Switches
Here is the Stagility hack, when in flight mode 3, the value of CS3 is sent to the 200QX, the value is set high when either aileron or elevator is near an endpoint. Experiment with these settings to find the best point. It's easy to rely on the stability and forget about the crash feature at the endpoints.
Sorry bro but this does not work on my Tx or my neighbors, PERIOD! We copied everything to the letter & to no avail it WILL NOT ARM! There has to be a better way to do this without the stagility garbage getting in the way... Does anyone know how to make it work (the basic setup) please help
Jul 31, 2014, 09:20 AM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Genetics101, from what I've read the arming problem has to do with the differences between 100% on a Spektrum TX vs the Taranis.

Taranis 100% = Spektrum 125% (I think)

The FC in the 200QX is very particular about the throttle for arming. I had to play with it a bit on my DX18 to get it to arm reliably. When I get my Spektrum module for the Taranis working (parts on backorder) I'll post what works for me.
Jul 31, 2014, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
dfruehwald, which parts you require?
Jul 31, 2014, 06:29 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
I have the boards already. I have an order of parts coming from Mouser which is supposed to ship 8/5. I have antennas and cables, at this point I'm only missing a case because I don't have my 3D printer done yet to print one.

It's just a matter of waiting for stuff to arrive. In the mean time I'm just messing with stuff in companion and watching to see what the channels do. At least when I'm not out crashing my 200QX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModulusX View Post
dfruehwald, which parts you require?
Aug 03, 2014, 07:01 AM
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
Genetics101, from what I've read the arming problem has to do with the differences between 100% on a Spektrum TX vs the Taranis.

Taranis 100% = Spektrum 125% (I think)

The FC in the 200QX is very particular about the throttle for arming. I had to play with it a bit on my DX18 to get it to arm reliably. When I get my Spektrum module for the Taranis working (parts on backorder) I'll post what works for me.
Thank you for keeping me in mind ;-) I finally figured it out and it was really my fault as I thought the only channels that mattered were the inside corners & as soon as I changed all channels to 79% it worked flawlessly..
Aug 04, 2014, 09:58 PM
I have the same issue and wondering why my motors wont arm. I copyed exactly the same settings and nothing works. The bind seems ok ! Could you help me ? :$
Aug 05, 2014, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by othala View Post
I have the same issue and wondering why my motors wont arm. I copyed exactly the same settings and nothing works. The bind seems ok ! Could you help me ? :$
If you can't arm, it's almost definitely because your stick ranges are outside of what the 200qx [ignorantly] considers 'properly' trimmed. Read my other post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2202601
Aug 05, 2014, 11:52 AM
ModulusX yes thanks ! It work with your explanation ! Last question about Taranis RF external module settings. do you set it 22ms 400us ?

I saw sometime a little bit laggy command.

Thanks !
Aug 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
I'm using a Serial DSM module, not a PPM-DSM module.
I originally built this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2086520
But actually just rebuilt it yesterday on this: http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html

I had to remove R2 for it to work on the Taranis.

I have heard people complain that the PPM-DSM modules are slower, and it makes sense since the Taranis is converting a signal to a ppm signal, which is then being converted back to a serial signal and sent out. With the Serial module, the Taranis sends Serial directly to the DX5e/MLP4DSM radio.

Quick Reply