Gloster Napier IVb Schneider Cup 1927, 1/6 scale (roughly) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by jpm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 15, 2014, 05:56 AM
Build Log

Gloster Napier IVb Schneider Cup 1927, 1/6 scale (roughly)

My next project, which will be slow as I'm going to make it up as I go, is a 1/6 scale or there abouts Gloster Napier IVb. This plane was built to compete in the 1927 Schneider Cup in Venice, Italy.
The plans I have are some very ordinary 1/72 scale three views that I found on the net, and I have not been able to find anything better. I have had these scaled up to 1/6 scale. This will give me a wing span of about 1.3 M and a fuselage length of about 1.4 M.
There are lots of things to work out on the way but hopefully will be a bit of fun
Last edited by jpm1; Jul 15, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2014, 04:32 AM
Got some stations glued onto the base this arvo
Jul 16, 2014, 09:51 PM
Nice model JP. Will it be a glass fuse?
Jul 16, 2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Andy, yep it will be a glass fuselage. In two minds as to whether I will lay glass over the plug and be done with it, or if I'll flop a mould and do it that way. Time is the biggest killer for me at the moment. I'm thinking balsa covered foam wings may be the go. I will make a mould for the floats (eventually)
I'm thinking I'll use the same motor and speedy as what I have in the sebart MC72. That all works pretty well and this thing will be roughly the same size.
Jul 17, 2014, 06:20 AM
building building building!
That motor/batt/esc is a great setup. Should go all right in this one.
Jul 21, 2014, 05:27 AM
A little bit of foam, some glue and an hour later......
Jul 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
Awesome start on a great subject!
Jul 22, 2014, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGeek
Awesome start on a great subject!
Thanks mate.
Got a little bit more done today. This is probably the easiest part of the whole thing. It's easy to be lulled into the feeling that it won't take long to put together
Jul 22, 2014, 01:45 PM

One of the best looking float-plane

If you go the way of making a plug and moulds, I would love to buy a fuselage and a pair of floats from you. Great size and an outstanding choice of a race-plane.

Regards, Aldo
Last edited by Aldo Rebsamen; Jul 22, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Jul 23, 2014, 06:31 AM
Hi Aldo,
Thanks for the comments, we'll see how we go down the track. I guess that I could do that, I'd like to make sure it flys first
Jul 25, 2014, 06:24 PM
Here's a great site I have found. This is probably going to be the best reference point I could ever wish for. This bloke has obviously spent a lot of time doing his research and I thank him for sharing this with everyone. His attention to detail is amazing!
http://doz.jp/wordpress/
Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 PM
I have been thinking about what sort of profile to use on the wings. The obvious choice is to use the same airfoil as my MC72, which is an asymmetric foil shape. The chord length is longer on the MC72 so I can scale it down to suit, with the same chord length to depth ratio. I can't see why this won't work, as ultimately I will end up with a greater wing area with roughly the same power to weight ratio. I'm not sure what the flying weight will be but I will be building it as light as I can. If it ends up in the 3-3.5kg range I think it will be OK. Lots of things to work out as I go.
For thrust lines I'm thinking 0 degrees on the vertical plane and 2 degrees right thrust, that seems to be about what most of my planes have
Jul 27, 2014, 04:07 AM
Fuselage now roughly shaped. Just working out the wing roots. Got to think of an easy method of making the wings detachable and strong. Like I said lots of things to work out
Jul 27, 2014, 06:54 AM
Flying on the edge
Looking good JP ..... nice job sanding to shape
Jul 27, 2014, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale333
Looking good JP ..... nice job sanding to shape
Thanks Dale, don't know why I haven't used polystyrene before. It's so easy to work.