Arrowmax Honeycomb 14-Piece Tool Set

High-quality hand tools for everything radio-controlled.

Arrowmax Honeycomb tools

Titanium-nitride ceramic coated for ultimate durability

Product:Arrowmax 14-piece Honeycomb tool set w/ toolbag
Part number:AM199407
Retail price:$168.99
Included tools:Allen wrenches, ball-driver hex wrenches, Phillips heads, flat heads, nut drivers
Tool type:Metric
Handle material:Aluminum
Tip material:Spring steel w/ titanium nitride coating
Available from:Arrowmax-rc.com

Whether you race off-road buggies, run hot laps around the oval with gas-powered boats, or fly giant-scale 3D, a good set of hand tools is essential for any modeler. And when it comes to choosing a set of tools that will help get your race-rig ready for the next heat, there's more than a handful of choices.

One company that stands out is Arrowmax. With a unique look and lightweight design consisting of aluminum handles and titanium nitride coated tips, the Honeycomb series of hand tools definitely fits the bill. The Arrowmax Honeycomb tools can be purchased separately or in a number of tool sets with or without a carrying case. In this review, I chose the 14-piece set (AM-199407 ). I've been racing short-course electric trucks a lot more this year, and this 14-piece set had all the common metric sizes found on most electric on-road and off-road chassis. Additionally, I can count on this tool set to help me assemble and work on most of my multirotors, airplanes, and race boats. Let's take a closer look at the Arrowmax-rc.com Honeycomb 14-piece tool set.

The included zip-up toolbag is made of heavy duty fabric and features the Arrowmax logos on both sides, a padded handle at the top, and a neoprene divider for keeping both sides separated. Each tool slot is an elastic band that fits most of the tools well. However, the larger grip handles on the 5.8mm Phillips and flathead are a bit difficult to slide under the elastic.

Included tools

The 14-piece kit includes:

• AM-410115,ALLEN WRENCH 1.5 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-410120,ALLEN WRENCH 2.0 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-410125,ALLEN WRENCH 2.5 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-410130,ALLEN WRENCH 3.0 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-420120,BALL DRIVER HEX WRENCH 2.0 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-420125,BALL DRIVER HEX WRENCH 2.5 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-420130,BALL DRIVER HEX WRENCH 3.0 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-430130,FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER 3.0 X 150MM Honeycomb
  • AM-430158,FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER 5.8 X 100MM Honeycomb
  • AM-440135,PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER 3.5 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-440158,PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER 5.8 X 120MM Honeycomb
  • AM-450150,NUT DRIVER 5.0 X 100MM Honeycomb
  • AM-450155,NUT DRIVER 5.5 X 100MM Honeycomb
  • AM-450170,NUT DRIVER 7.0 X 100MM Honeycomb

Tool design

Arrowmax created small works-of-art with each one of these tools; the grey aluminum handles are hollow with a honeycomb design in the grip. I'll admit, at first sight I thought the handles looked a bit menacing on the hands. But after handling them and actually using the set to assemble a Tamiya CC-01 FJ Cruiser, I found them to be very comfortable and provided plenty of grip to seat those difficult screws in the plastic chassis.

The tips are spring steel with a titanium-nitride coating, an extremely hard ceramic material that's gold in color; each one looks as good as it is strong.

On the end of each handle is a clear lexan cap. It's rounded to be easy on the palm of your hand when applying pressure. As with most hand tools of this type, the tips attach to the handle with a 2.5mm hex head screw.

Ball driver hex wrenches

The included ball driver wrenches are 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0mm with 120mm tips.

Allen wrenches

The included Allen wrenches come in 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0mm with 120mm tips

Phillips and flathead screwdrivers

The kit comes with two Phillips head and two flathead screwdrivers. The 5.8mm Phillips and flathead screwdrivers use a larger diameter handle than the rest of the tools in the kit. The flathead tips have fine grooves to help grip the screw. The 3.0mm flathead has the longest tip in the kit at 150mm.

Nut drivers

The Arrowmax kit includes 3 nut drivers that should cover the vast majority of nuts encountered on race and bashing vehicles. They come in three sizes: 5.0, 5.5, and 7.0mm.

Conclusion

The Arrowmax Honeycomb 14-piece tool set has all the popular sized drivers and wrenches found in other kits. But what sets this grouping apart is the handle design and materials used. The honeycomb hollow handle is just about as light as you can get and feels natural in your hand. The lexan end caps help reduce pain associated with driving in difficult fasteners and using your palm to apply force. The spring steel tips are coated in titanium nitride for durability and looks as well.

I've been holding out for too long to replace my bargain Allen wrench set; most of them had rounded corners and would end up stripping the fastener. Now I have a tool kit that I know will last without wearing out. If you're looking for a premium kit that looks good and feels good, consider the Honeycomb series from Arrowmax-rc.com.

Pluses:

• Lightweight materials and design.
  • Spring steel tips with titanium nitride ceramic coating are very durable.
  • Honeycomb design is easy on your hands while providing plenty of grip.

Minuses:

• The larger handles on the 5.8mm Phillips and flathead screwdrivers are a bit difficult to get in and out of the elastic bands in the included toolbag.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jul 14, 2014 at 09:48 PM..
Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Seems like a nice set of tools. Lightweight can be convenient, though I might prefer a solid handle, but it sure looks classy and durable.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 15, 2014, 10:19 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
They look fantastic! Definitely going to consider these in my next tool purchase.
Jul 15, 2014, 10:51 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Good tools are an absolute must have. The only downside is my kids "borrow" tools never to be seen again. Would have to keep these locked up.
Jul 15, 2014, 11:32 AM
Suspended Account
Over priced .. I never buy a tool 4 looks just its functionality..I'll keep my HPI bit set @ $25..put that $140 into a esc and servo..
Jul 15, 2014, 11:37 AM
Price would be a deal breaker for me too. Unless there is lifetime guarantuee on the tips, and these are replaced for free when worn.
Jul 15, 2014, 11:45 AM
No lifetime guarantee that I found, but the price is relative to the buyer. My cheap $25 dollar Allen wrenches lasted me a while, but they did help strip many a screw over the years; the tip material just wasn't hard enough. I was in the market for a driver set to replace my current ones, and there were many to choose from. Some kits were priced much higher than these, some were cheaper.

In the end, I chose these because of the durability and looks. Sure, many people won't shell out the money for hand tools. But to reiterate my 1st sentence: the price is relative.
Jul 15, 2014, 02:01 PM
If these are much more durable, in the end you may pay less, and also avoid the annoying hex head stripping. So get wrenching, I think you need to overhaul all your cars at least twice, so these drivers get to see some action, and we can see how durable these are.
Jul 15, 2014, 03:24 PM
Deal!
Jul 15, 2014, 03:55 PM
Why are you still posting here, when you could be wrenching. Get on it, lol.
Jul 17, 2014, 09:57 AM
I am wondering as to how comfortable do these tools feel in your hands when you are using them. I have some tools that do not feel good in the hands, they work, but are uncomfortable to use. The next problem is with the tips on the tools. Do they make replacement tips for the handles? Spending the money for the tools is fine, but with RC helicopters the 1.5mm and 2mm hex wrenches tend to wear out the tips faster as you use them more.
Jul 17, 2014, 11:44 AM
-insert witty saying here-
Buy Wiha or Wera tools and be done with it at 1/3 the price. Just more reinventing the wheel here for guys that need tools that look good in their box.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Mar 20, 2015, 06:45 PM
I have a set of the Arrowmax Honeycomb tools and wanted to share some of my thoughts on them. The tools have seen about 6 months of solid weekend warrior racing. I have 20 pieces of these tools, and I have used them all at least once with some of them I am using all the time. I keep them in the arrowmax padded case that they sell on their website. I do not let anyone else, except my brother use them.
They look as good, or better, in person then they do in the pictures. Build quality is top notch, and after using them for over a year now I have never detected any kind of build defects, such as miss coloring in the anodizing, milling marks, or such. I would give the looks an A+.
The handles, though they look cool, are not the most ergonomic design for this application. As long as you don't have to torque anything down, I did not notice the ergonomics of them. When you torque something down, you notice that they aren't the most comfortable, but neither are they uncomfortable. Also, there isn't a lot of grip on the surface of them, though it seems like the honeycombing should give you a lot. The honeycomb holes are all beveled resulting in less grip, but probably more comfort. Oh, and the handles are super light. I would give ergonomics a C+.
Build quality with the tools heads is very tight, though maybe TOO tight sometimes. All the tools functioned perfectly BUT some of the tolerances on the hex heads were extremely tight. If I used the tools on any fresh bolts, they always fit very perfectly with virtually no slop. This posed a problem though if I tried using the tools on any bolts that had any kind of burr or were buggered up in any way. On bolts that had a slight burr, the honeycomb tools would often not fit in them where as my other cheap tools would because they were not cut to such close tolerances. So this could be both a blessing (not stripping bolts as much and tools tips lasting longer), and a curse (can't use the wrench on a bolt because of a burr). I had a hard time deciding what to rate the build quality because of the very tight heads. If I ignore the fact that the precision of the heads can cause a problem that aren't problems with other tools it would get an A+. But I must admit, when I had bolts that I had to go get other tools to use with, it was a big hassle so I feel I need to drop it down to a B+.
Durability of the tool tips. After all this time, there is only one hex head tool (the one I use the most) showing any signs of wear. The very edges of the hex head show the slightest signs of rounding and a slight amount silver from the TiNi coating wearing. I give the tip durability an A-.
Durability of the handles. First off, I do admit I try to be careful with the handles because of the cost of the tools. The anodizing seems to be holding up superbly. I can not find one scratch anywhere on the wrenches on the anodizing. But the milled, silvery areas are slightly scuffed up. I would have to guess the milled silver areas might be bare aluminum. They do not show any obvious gouges or scratches, but there is definite scuffing, or clouding, in the areas that are big enough for my skin to rub while wrenching. I have yet to scratch one of the lexan end covers, though I feel it is inevitable that that will happen. And one of the lexan end covers came loose and was falling off, so I put a dab of shoe goo on it just to barely hold it in in case I ever want to take and change it out. Handle durability B

Overall I would like to rate them higher, but just can't because of the price. I give them a B.
Mar 21, 2015, 03:12 AM
speed-boater
Very good review - thanks a lot.

Good tools are a must for me and the price is not priority 1.

These tools look very good and may be of high quality but never could be really ergonomic due to the honeycomb shape of the handle.
Additionally you cannot transform them in a t-bar handle shape, as this is a must for me with hex wrenches.
I agree with Hemikiller - buy Wera or Wiha tools and you will get the best price/ performance relationship.
The most of my tools are those and i never had an issue.

Quick Reply