P-6E Hawk biplane fighter- New 43" EP from Great Planes - RC Groups
Jul 14, 2014, 01:45 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Discussion

P-6E Hawk biplane fighter- New 43" EP from Great Planes

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1164.html

These are in stock now and mine should be here Wednesday. Besides one other person I know of, is anybody else getting/plan to get one of these?

I'm a bit perplexed that this plane has not generated any interest or significant discussion. I had started a thread sometime ago in the 'Scale ARF/RTF' forum (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2108823) and while I realize not all planes are going to appeal to everyone, Wow......about a handful of people even bothered to comment. Maybe its a foot traffic thing. That forum has no where near the traffic that this warbird forum does so I was thinking of moving things over here. Let me know what you think.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2014, 02:03 PM
Parkstormer!
I'm looking at it closely and appreciate your posting here--hopefully it will generate more traffic, as I'm hoping to see some flight reports. I'm weighing rebuilding a very well-worn Dynam Waco against taking its "slot" for this one . . .
Jul 14, 2014, 02:43 PM
Interesting Grady, I've still got one of those Wacos on the shelf. Its slated to conversion to a glow four-stroke but that project keeps getting pushed back for things like this Hawk. Actually, I ay just get another Hawk at some point and convert it to glow. I have a sneaky suspicion this Hawk is an offshoot, or was at least inspired by the old Goldberg P-6E kit they used to have. I wonder if when Hobbico bought Goldberg somebody looked over the plans and said Hmmm.....?

Mike
Jul 14, 2014, 03:06 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Interesting Grady, I've still got one of those Wacos on the shelf. Its slated to conversion to a glow four-stroke but that project keeps getting pushed back for things like this Hawk. Actually, I ay just get another Hawk at some point and convert it to glow. I have a sneaky suspicion this Hawk is an offshoot, or was at least inspired by the old Goldberg P-6E kit they used to have. I wonder if when Hobbico bought Goldberg somebody looked over the plans and said Hmmm.....?

Mike
Thanks Mike--good point, regarding Goldberg. The Hawk does look good, and other than the Rimfire I've got what I'd need left over from other projects. It's tempting to replace the worn foam plane with a balsa one, too, but the Waco's truly a great flyer--one of the best I've had . . . Build and flight reports will help!
Jul 14, 2014, 03:28 PM
Mike
My Hawk landed Friday last week. I did a quick peek just to check for shipping damage, all looked good. It looks like the usual GP quality, no wrinkles, everything was secured in place for shipping. It does remind me size wise of the Goldberg Hawk. Not sure when I'll get to building it, just not a lot of spare time lately.
Jul 14, 2014, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman 220
Mike
My Hawk landed Friday last week. I did a quick peek just to check for shipping damage, all looked good. It looks like the usual GP quality, no wrinkles, everything was secured in place for shipping. It does remind me size wise of the Goldberg Hawk. Not sure when I'll get to building it, just not a lot of spare time lately.
Sweet beans Paul,
Looks like they got it out to you pretty fast. Not even some teaser pics!???

I got my motor and servos today but that's not surprising as Hobby Partz is just up the coast a bit. As inexpensive as it was I'm really happy with the quality of the Tacon 32 motor. The machining and construction is just as good as I see on my Rimfire motors. Of course the proof will be in the running but for now that's one to cross off the 'worry about' list.

EDIT: I added some pics of the motor.

I've got a bunch of machining projects all over my bench so in the next day or so I'm gonna get out there with a bunch plastic baggies and clean it up so I'll be able to get started on this thing soon after it gets here. I finished up a bunch of projects last month so this bird is now going to the top of the list.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Jul 14, 2014, 05:10 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
I submit my subscription as a P-6E lover!

Owner of a UM version.

RF
Jul 14, 2014, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
Thanks Mike--good point, regarding Goldberg. The Hawk does look good, and other than the Rimfire I've got what I'd need left over from other projects. It's tempting to replace the worn foam plane with a balsa one, too, but the Waco's truly a great flyer--one of the best I've had . . . Build and flight reports will help!
I was telling Handyman in the other thread that I ordered a Tacon 32 from HobbyPartz in lieu of the Rimfire based on what I've seen in other threads. It was only $35. I got it today and so far exceeds my expectations hint, hint.....

Mike
Jul 14, 2014, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flyer
I submit my subscription as a P-6E lover!

Owner of a UM version.

RF
Shouldn't that be 'FREE' UM Hawk???

I've yet to build my UM Hawk. With the winds around here, I think I bought it simply because its a Hawk. Even if I build it, it will most likely be a desk/shelf decoration.

Mike
Jul 14, 2014, 05:25 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Ahhhhh, you remember !

RF
Jul 15, 2014, 11:54 AM
Arrowhead
Yeah we remember, you lucky son of a gun!

I have one of those micros too... Still in the box at the moment. This new one is mighty tempting!
Jul 15, 2014, 12:34 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
I was telling Handyman in the other thread that I ordered a Tacon 32 from HobbyPartz in lieu of the Rimfire based on what I've seen in other threads. It was only $35. I got it today and so far exceeds my expectations hint, hint.....

Mike
Would it be a drop-in replacement for the Rimfire? Thanks for the tip!

Grady
Jul 15, 2014, 01:15 PM
I don't have the Rimfire 32 (which is a 42-50 size motor) to compare it to physically but the measurements in the specs are pretty close. The only real difference is the Tacon 32 (also a 42-50) is 770kv vs. the Rimfire 32 at 800kv. I doubt its enough to worry about. My thinking is with the lower Kv you could run a meatier prop for more speed without the amp draw penalty..... say a 7 or 8 pitch instead of a 6.5. I'll have to play with it and see.

I do have a Rimfire 25, which is a 42-40 size motor that I was going to measure the mount last night but didn't get to it so I don't know if its a direct bolt up just yet. It 'looks' pretty close though.

Mike
Jul 15, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I had a couple extra minutes, so I took a few pics. They aren't the best but it gives you a quick peek. I believe Mikes is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm sure he can post much better pics.
Jul 16, 2014, 12:07 PM
Nice pics Handyman,

I'm just waiting for the big brown toy truck to arrive. I checked the website and its 'out for delivery'.

I love the box artwork. I may cut some out and frame it.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply