Jul 10, 2014, 03:54 PM
Discussion

Multistar 2206 2150KV Thrust Tests

My other thrust tests:
User Stuuu was kind enough to send me one of these to put on the static thrust jig and see how it performed. Out of the box the motor seemed decent enough, no play in the bearings, one piece prop stud and bell design, pre-soldered 2mm bullets with about four inches of wire, and limited clearance to the windings (careful about M3 screw lengths!). Just something about it though that doesn't quite make me say wow. Two points of scrutiny though was three polls had uneven wire winding and the M3 mounting holes in the base were not cleanly tapped all the way through. No major flaws, only minor qualms, and it seems decent enough for the money. The real question is how does it perform?

To recap how the test data is collected; I use the telemetry on my FrSKY Taranis bound to a X6R receiver which has a 40A FrSKY smart port current sensor on it. The Taranis data logs the information into a CSV file, which I then extract and make a little more user friendly. The static thrust is measured by a scratch built jig and the wife's kitchen scale set to grams, as seen in the MT1806 results thread, and I watch the readout and record the results.

Quick run down of the results - Multistar 2206 2150KV Brushless Motors:
GF 5030 Prop on 3S - 380 Grams pulling 7.9A @ 100% / 200 Grams pulling 3.5A @ 50%
HQ 5030 Prop on 3S - 350 Grams pulling 6.9A @ 100% / 180 Grams pulling 3.1A @ 50%
HQ 5040 Prop on 3S - 420 Grams pulling 9.6A @ 100% / 215 Grams pulling 3.9A @ 50%
HQ 6030 Prop on 3S - 460 Grams pulling 9.4A @ 100% / 220 Grams pulling 3.8A @ 50%
HQ 6045 Prop on 3S - 620 Grams pulling 16.9A @ 100% / 255 Grams pulling 5.3A @ 50%

HQ 5030 Prop on 4S - 520 Grams pulling 10.2A @ 100% / 280 Grams pulling 4.5A @ 50%
HQ 5040 Prop on 4S - 610 Grams pulling 13.8A @ 100% / 300 Grams pulling 5.5A @ 50%

*Correction to Title: Gemfan 5030 (Not GemFan 5040)

So the results are ... OK, mostly. Results from the HQ 5030 to the HQ 6030 trail in performance in raw thrust number compared to tests with the DYS BE1806 or RCTimer HP1806. Even on 4S tests with the HQ 5030 prop, it still trails the aforementioned 1806 options. However the result from the HQ 6045 prop was down right impressive. There is enough mass in this 2206 size motor to cope with the heat soak of pulling 16+ amps of current and it rewards by not plateauing in RPM and puts down well over 600 grams of thrust.

This motor seems to beg for bigger than a five inch prop and something that runs in the realm of 14 to 18 amps of current; I find it ironic that HobbyKing only rates the motor for 10A / 120 Watts of power which restricts the opportunity to really achieve the "Baby Beast" name. If this was my motor, I might consider putting a 20A ESC on it and stress testing the motor on the bench running a HQ 6030 prop and a 4S battery to see a proof of concept for endurance. Although when you're talking that much power you're also going to far exceed the skills of the average user as well, so it is safer to stick to the combinations I publish.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2014, 04:23 PM
6x3 prop with 4s should be possible in this size, the tiger 2206-2000kv(not saying they are same quality though ) can run 6x4.5 prop on 4s without overheating.

Numbers are really not that impressive with 5inc props, maybe the 5x4.5x3 or hqprops 5x4x4 could be a option?
Jul 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
Firmware Fiend
Good stuff as usual, Mustang. So I'm still on the fence about these, even now that I've seen some concrete numbers (I like numbers). I'm really debating whether to spend the extra $10 or so for a set of SS 2204s, and saving up for the KISS ESCs now that people have been reporting great success with 4S. It would keep things light and make ridiculous power. I guess I'll fly my RCT 1806s for the time being and wait for more results and reviews before I drop more money. Thanks again for running the tests.
Jul 10, 2014, 07:34 PM
Nice work on the testing. Would be interested in how the 3 bladed gem fan props that HK bundle with the fpv250 perform. I suspect a this is quite a few people will be using these as the baby beasts are billed as a direct upgrade to the stock fpv250 motors.

I do have 12 6x3 gem fans on their way from HK. According to your info it looks like I'd need to upgrade my 12A escs if I were to use anything bigger or with a higher pitch. That's useful to know.
Jul 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar
Good stuff as usual, Mustang. So I'm still on the fence about these, even now that I've seen some concrete numbers (I like numbers). I'm really debating whether to spend the extra $10 or so for a set of SS 2204s, and saving up for the KISS ESCs now that people have been reporting great success with 4S. It would keep things light and make ridiculous power. I guess I'll fly my RCT 1806s for the time being and wait for more results and reviews before I drop more money. Thanks again for running the tests.
WOOOOO!! Just looked up the price of the Sunnies--damn mini craze drove up the prices $12 more per set, so it looks like these will most likely be my next motors. Hate it when a product goes mainstream and the price goes up.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you so much for the testing and stuuu for sending the motor. My mini is going to be quite porky, so its nice to know ill still have hover at around 50%.

Looks like I should have gone for the 1806's i was originally looking at for my setup but oh well.
Will be interesting to see if the oversized bearings in these help them last or if the quality lets them down.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks mustang for the tests. Really glad to see those numbers for the 6045s. It is an absolute hoot to fly with them. I'm glad I made the switch almost immediately. Interesting amperage at 100% though. I have afro 12s on mine and have flown several times for 7+ minutes at damn near full throttle the whole time and the escs aren't even warm. Could the escs be underated?
Jul 10, 2014, 11:00 PM
Benjahmon, I wouldn't shy away from the 6045s with 12s. That's what I'm running and haven't had any problems. You'll love them. But I would make sure you have a high discharge battery. 35c or higher. I have 45c and it gets a tiny bit warm.
Jul 11, 2014, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuu
Thanks mustang for the tests. Really glad to see those numbers for the 6045s. It is an absolute hoot to fly with them. I'm glad I made the switch almost immediately. Interesting amperage at 100% though. I have afro 12s on mine and have flown several times for 7+ minutes at damn near full throttle the whole time and the escs aren't even warm. Could the escs be underated?
You can "cheat" with multirotors. At 80% throttle you're in the safe zone of the ESC, which in it self it a lot more speed than the average user can handle. It's when you go 100% for 30 seconds at a time or longer to cover a quarter mile via FPV is when things will get dicey for the ESC. Things like where the ESC is located, how much airflow it has to dissipate heat, and if there is something blocking the FETs like heatshrink all play a roll in the ability to endure the stress or not.
Jul 11, 2014, 07:16 AM
Good to hear. Not sure why they called this motor "baby beast". For a motor designed for mini quads, which a lot are limited to 5" props, these are no beasts. Glad my frame can run 6. Thanks again mustang.
Jul 15, 2014, 12:56 PM
@Mustang7302: could you make/post benchmarks for 5x4.5 Tri Blade props?
Jul 15, 2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperWipo
@Mustang7302: could you make/post benchmarks for 5x4.5 Tri Blade props?
I don't currently have 5045x3 props in my possession, but I expect to have a 5030x3 in the next few days. Additionally the motor tested was on loan and has already been sent back to its owner.

I would expect to see results in the range of the 6030 numbers for the requested 5045x3.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:27 AM
My order of 4 came in a couple days ago. Havnt had them running yet and it looks like I have a little work to do before I can.
2 of them the bearings are very tight but they turn smoothly. Hoping some oil will fix em up nice.
1 of them, the rubber that holds the wires in place where they enter the housing must have got hot during construction. At least I hope during construction and I havnt got a used motor. Anyway, this rubber is deformed and sticks up a bit and catches on a couple of the magnets that sit ever so slightly lower than the others. Otherwise it turns smoothly.
4th one seems fine.

So yeah, build quality seems utterly terrible, but that was expected.

The so called issue with mounting bolt length, I really dont think is much of an issue. Sure you should make sure they are not too long, just common sense. But there really is a good amount of room in there. Also it is very easy to check your bolts arent too long because you can see into the bottom area quite well with the right lighting.

EDIT: oops posted in the wrong thread. I guess reviews are kinda relivant here though so ill leave it.
Last edited by waimser; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Aug 15, 2014, 10:45 PM
So reading all this it looks like those motors are not bad but not that beasty for a mini quad like the QAV250 or the Blackout Mini H?

What about a Blackout 330?

Thank you for all your work and thoughts! I really enjoy reading here
Aug 16, 2014, 07:14 AM
The BO 330 is meant to run a 8 inch prop. This motor is not up to the task for that.