Jul 13, 2014, 08:56 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
the radian has a new motor?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2014, 09:31 AM
I don`t think its a radian motor, they say nothing about a coreless motor.

John
Jul 13, 2014, 09:38 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Perhaps a Horizon employee can fill us in on what motor it is?
Jul 13, 2014, 07:59 PM
Video now posted!
Jul 13, 2014, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen
I don`t think its a radian motor, they say nothing about a coreless motor.
Most of the 1S motors are brushed and are coreless.
A couple of helicopters, the new AS3Xtra airplane and the UMX Radian have the more powerful 23mm long brushed coreless motor. This new Sport Cub might also have it.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:52 PM

The Hobbyzone Sport Cub S RTF with SAFE™ Technology Owner's Thread

The beginning of RC model aircraft https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=m7gyGm5-nr0
Jul 14, 2014, 12:04 AM
Closed Account
I was told release would be 9/26/14....but that was from the Flight crew Chat personal.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:31 AM

Sport Cub release date

I just ordered(preorder) the new little Sport Cub RTF last night(7-13) and this morning when I turned on my computer that was an email from Horizon that my Sport Cub has been shipped!!!! Damnit Boy, way to go Horizon.............
Jul 14, 2014, 10:53 AM

Jumped the gun

I stand corrected, I when back and looked at my email from Horizon and the Cub order is pending, so what they did was to go ahead and ship the 3 single cell 45C lipo batteries that I ordered with the Cub. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting for Sept 26 to get here. I preordered the UMX Radian too and I got it about 5 weeks later and that little plane is amazing to fly, wind or no wind. I fly a lot of the single cell lipo planes and I am finding out that a high C discharge battery really improves the way they fly, that is why I ordered the 45C batteries with the Cub. I am going to try one of the 45C batteries in the Radian...it will almost straight up now with a 25C battery. The AS3X works real good in the Radian, I have flown it in 15+ MPH wind with no problem.
Jul 14, 2014, 01:15 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
Very cool. Thanks for posting. Those who flew RC back in the early days not only had to scratch-build their planes from plans they created or purchased - they also had to build their own transmitters & receivers - either from plans or kits! Any flight that ended with the airframe still mostly intact was applauded by all. The relative cost of flying RC back then was far, far greater than it is today, and they didn't even have proportional controls. Proportional control wouldn't become practical for hobby use until the early to mid 1960s.

The first commercially-built "propo rigs"started to show up in the early/mid '60s. They sold for around $500 USD. And $500 USD in 1965 dollars is just over $3700 USD today. For that, you got 3 or 4 channels. And maybe even trims on the flight-control channels! That's it. In contrast - a DX10t costs $1,100 USD today. That's $147 USD in 1965 dollars. Radio systems back then were far, far inferior in all respects to even the cheapest 'toy-grade' transmitters that come with Horizon's entry-level RTFs today. The transmitters were extremely grainy, they had horrible centering, and reliability was poor, at best. They were AM, and they operated on the CB band. All it took to get 'shot down' was to have somebody key-up their mobile CB as they drove by. RC receivers were so crappy back then that it didn't even matter what channel the CBer was on. Servos weighed about as much as a chunk of lead the same size, they sucked power like crazy, produced little torque, had horrible centering, and reliability was orders of magnitude poorer than even the first round of Horizon's UM linears. Even as recently as the late '60s to early '70s, crashes were more apt to be caused by radio glitches & hardware failures than pilot error. Nowadays, the vast majority of RC crashes are caused by pilot error.

Really puts how far we've come into perspective......

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 14, 2014 at 01:38 PM.
Jul 14, 2014, 05:45 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Joel,
You just recapped my RC history I go back to gas tube receivers! Still love this hobby and share and help all I can.
Gary
Jul 14, 2014, 07:44 PM
Closed Account
UPDATE

Pre-Order Now!
You may pre-order this item,
and you will be notified when
it arrives in stock.
ETA: 10/03/2014

AMainHobby
Jul 14, 2014, 10:31 PM

Safe and the DX6i

Will the Safe technology work with a DX6i.
I have lost radio contact with the low power radios.
Jul 15, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Yeah, Gary - to me, helping others is what the hobby is all about. Well...that and flying, of course! Turns out that I enjoy helping others learn about as much as I enjoy flying. I didn't get into RC until the early 80s, but I flew CL & FF from the early 60s through the late 70s. I drooled over the RC gear I saw in the catalogs, but it was way too expensive for me back then. That's why I flew CL & FF. However, there was one guy in my hometown who flew RC when I was a kid. He started back in the 1-button roll-your-own-radio days, well-before I was born. Late 40s/early 50s, I think. He was one of the local US Customs officers, so he & my dad knew each other pretty well. I watched him fly every chance I got. He'd stop by & pick me up on Saturday mornings. After the flying session, we'd usually go to his shop & work on something, and his wife would fix us something to eat. He taught me how to stick-build from plans. So that's why I remember the tube gear, escapements, Galloping Ghost, and early 'propo' rigs. The thing I remember most from back then is lots of crashing due to RF interference and vibration-induced electrical problems in the receivers, such as crystal failures, cracked solder joints, broken wires, etc. You guys had to have a lot of dedication to spend months building models mainly from scratch or plans - all the while knowing there was a fair chance that they wouldn't make it through their first flying season intact.

When I decided to get into RC some 20 years later, the same guy offered to teach me how to fly. Funny how things work out sometimes. Haven't talked to him lately, but one of my flying buds from up north told me that he still shows up at the field once in a while & does a bit of flying. I think he's around 89 now. I can still hear him yelling from the pits "Keep it 3 mistakes high if you're going to fly like that!" when I'd try something new a bit lower than he thought I should. (For those who don't understand why he was yelling - all RC planes were glow or gas powered back then, and mufflers were optional.) Great memories...

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jul 17, 2014, 11:09 AM
The description says, "Powerful Electric Motor" and it performs very well so maybe it is the new longer brushed motor?

The ad does not say it has AS3X but Mike said it has so maybe SAFE simply disconnects the controls so the gyros in AS3X and the dihedral can level the airplane.
I can disconnect my controls by simply letting go of them (hands off).

Quick Reply