Jul 12, 2014, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
RE,

The nCPX inrunner requires a bit of jury-rigging & shimming to make it fit the gb in the UM planes. Also, I thought it needed a different pinion for proper gear mesh - but I could be mistaken on that. The big question: Does it provide a worthwhile power increase over a healthy Bravo SX motor w/5043 prop & a Hyp 240 cell?
From the data of the 1S_BL Thread the stock nCPX Kit give only a little power increase (47g), with other YEP7A ESC and 300mAh Battery up to 55g thrust.

With 2S and the 3000kV motor you can have 150g thrust for climb like a rocket or pull the ASK-21 but with more weight and wingload.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2014, 08:49 AM
Flying Object Crash Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
RE,

The nCPX inrunner requires a bit of jury-rigging & shimming to make it fit the gb in the UM planes. Also, I thought it needed a different pinion for proper gear mesh - but I could be mistaken on that. The big question: Does it provide a worthwhile power increase over a healthy Bravo SX motor w/5043 prop & a Hyp 240 cell?

If they came out with a 1s bl upgrade that was designed for use in the UM planes, I'd be very interested. Maybe they will, if the nCPX upgrade kit turns out to be a big hit.

Joel
While some of the heli guys state the power increase wasn't much, it was still noticeable. In an airplane you tend to get more bang from the same power increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
Joel

I wish they would make an efficient 1S bl set up as well for um planes.

Power increase is one thing but motor longevity and efficiency is what I want.
+1 for motor longevity. The ncpx crowd sports shorter flight times, but that little thing encourages aggressive flying.
Jul 12, 2014, 08:50 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
I'm actually excited about this little guy.

The champ was and is one of my favorite RCS of all time.

I have a lot of fond memories flying her in small areas.

This will be even more fun with ailerons
Jul 12, 2014, 11:05 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Same here.

I still have my Champ w/P-51 motor. It was my first 3-chan plane. I had never been interested in RET planes before, but when the little Champ came out, I just had to get one. My dad was a flying game warden/bush-pilot for Minnesota's DNR for 34 years. He covered the northern third of the state, much of which is wilderness. He flew a 7GCB Challenger back in the early '60s. It had flaps & a 150 HP engine. My first plane ride was in that plane, so I've got a soft spot for Champs. Anyway...I was surprised by how well the little 3-chan Champ flew. It was my go-to plane for indoor flying & lazy flights in the yard until the UMX Carbon Cub came out. But the Champ still puts a grin on my face whenever I take 'er up for a spin on a calm morning or evening. However, I did find myself wishing that it had ailerons. I also wished that it was more scale-appearing.

I absolutely love the UMX Carbon Cub. The CC was exactly the plane I had been asking for in the AS3X plane wishlist thread. I felt like a kid in a candy store when HH announced it. I also have a serious soft-spot for Cubs, Super Cubs, and clones. The first plane I ever flew was my dad's 150 HP Super Cub, back when I was 9. I did my first unassisted takeoff in that plane when I was 11. So I felt like a kid in a candy store when HH announced the CC. She's tied for 1st place on my list of all-time favorite UM/UMX planes. I just love "bush-flying" the CC in the yard - doing low & slow circuits & figure-eights only a wingspan or two off the ground....zig-zagging between the trees....while flying just a few knots above stall with maybe a notch or two of flaps. Gives me a case of perma-grin that lasts for hours.

But I've often thought it would also be nice to have a scale bush-plane backyard/indoor flier with ailerons that's somewhere between the Champ & CC. Something that can fly figure-eights as slowly as the Champ without being on the verge of stalling - with ample power for spirited flying & basic Cub-style aerobatics, but not necessarily as muscular as the CC with its generous 1:1 thrust-to-weight. Watching the promo video, it appears that the Sport Cub will be great for that type of flying. This is the first time I've been excited about a 1s brushed plane announcement since the Sukhoi XP days.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 12, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Jul 12, 2014, 12:53 PM
nr1
nr1
This plane looks very interesting to me. Especially the bigger wing span (~40cm to now ~60cm) and 1S as UMX model.

To make it perfect some small leds would be nice. I guess this plane will also be able to carry 200 or 300mah battery from my V922 / MCPX.

Have to see now if i should get the UMX F4U or wait for this one
Jul 12, 2014, 04:05 PM
It is going to need some struts to look good though. Simple enough to make a pair, but I wish the were included from the get go.
Jul 12, 2014, 08:05 PM
I'd rather be flying!
True. I wonder if the CC's struts would work.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jul 12, 2014, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub
It is going to need some struts to look good though. Simple enough to make a pair, but I wish the were included from the get go.
Possibly they were left off to keep weight and drag down to an absolute minimum?
Jul 12, 2014, 08:21 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown
Possibly they were left off to keep weight and drag down to an absolute minimum?
Yep.
Jul 13, 2014, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Yep.
Dave any idea when they might announce a release date.
Jul 13, 2014, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro
Nobody interested?
Totally interested!

I started flying the Champ a few summers ago and always wished they'd make one with ailerons too. Slow, light, uncomplicated and inexpensive. At the projected priceline I see online, this truly will be a logical first plane for anyone who might might eventually graduate to 4 channels (or more).

I recently got a UMX Carbon Cub to satisfy the aileron jones, but I believe a Sport Cub S (BnF) is in my future as well. (I also suspect this forum will explode with activity when deliveries begin).

Any insider projections on the timeframe for shipping? My big LHS hasn't even heard of the plane yet.
Last edited by teflon97239; Jul 13, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Jul 13, 2014, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodnNuff
Just contacted HH and was told the release date is the end of September.
Jul 13, 2014, 07:41 AM
Video is done, we're waiting for the web guy to get it posted.

It's made for the CC floats. I'm surprised that's not shown in any of the photos. We'll get that fixed.

See attached photo: do you see the little white plastic piece there behind the charger? This is the rear float attach point. We've left it off the airplane for weight reasons but included it in the box. If you want to use the floats just glue it in place.
Jul 13, 2014, 07:42 AM
The new Sport Cub flies very well in the video.
I betcha it uses the powerful longer 8.5mm diameter motor used in the UMX Radian.
I also betcha they cheated and used a powerful E-Flite 150mAh/45C battery in the video.

Quick Reply